Sons' sorrow

And here's The Dumbarton Terrace's interview with the new signing: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/06/10/busy-time-on-and-off-the-pitch-for-mark/

I'm pretty happy with this news; apart from the lad being a very useful addition it seems to further reinforce the line that players enjoy working with the two Stevies, never a bad thing at a part-time club with limited resources.

And I've always been impressed with Mark Docherty when he faced us, guys like him contributed greatly to a stuffy defence which didn't leak a lot of goals last season.

Really looking forward to the next addition to this Stranralloa FC squad 8)

I'm very sorry to see Docherty leaving us. I thought he improved our midfield, bringing a bit of urgency to our play. He is also a very good crosser of the ball and we must have got a decent number of goals from his assists.

One weakness, however, is his lack of pace and when he got played at full back he struggled a bit. Especially when up against a pacey winger.

All in all he should be a good signing for Dumbarton.

And I've always been impressed with Mark Docherty when he faced us, guys like him contributed greatly to a stuffy defence which didn't leak a lot of goals last season.

Handy player without doubt but he didn't "contribute greatly" to our defence, he was only ever drafted in at LB when Meggat was either injured or covering at centre half.

Sounds like he was used more as a left back at Stranraer and more as a midfielder at Alloa. I'd imagine we'll use him as a left back given that we haven't, so far at least, signed another one and he played as a fullback under Aitken for Stranraer, winning multiple POTY awards.

I've heard worse Pete

We've got a player at the Clan called Tristan Cameron Harper.

Who calls their kid Tristan? Or Cameron? At least Jackson can be shortened to Jack.

Is he a Jock, or is he Canadian or something? It's these kind of shite names that I tend to associate with North America.

What kind of fucking monster names a wee boy, a Scottish wee boy no less, "Jackson"?

Being an older type of chap, I can remember the Scottish Presbyterian habit of giving the first born boy the mother's maiden surname as a Christian Name. Hence the number of guys of a certain age with Christian names such as Crawford, Findlay and Farquhar which Billy Connolly had some fun parodying.

St Mirren had a manager called Wilson Humphries and I'm sure OK3 will remember a lad at Knoxland who rejoiced in the name Wilson Totten. Not sure if Wilson Pickett's maw was Scottish. I suspect that Brown McMaster and Brown Ferguson will have fallen under this curse and as a result were probably nicknamed Toaly or Turd at school.

One of the Scottish Tory leader chaps is called Jackson Carlaw so I suspect he got the name for that reason.

Being an older type of chap, I can remember the Scottish Presbyterian habit of giving the first born boy the mother's maiden surname as a Christian Name. Hence the number of guys of a certain age with Christian names such as Crawford, Findlay and Farquhar which Billy Connolly had some fun parodying.

St Mirren had a manager called Wilson Humphries and I'm sure OK3 will remember a lad at Knoxland who rejoiced in the name Wilson Totten. Not sure if Wilson Pickett's maw was Scottish. I suspect that Brown McMaster and Brown Ferguson will have fallen under this curse and as a result were probably nicknamed Toaly or Turd at school.

One of the Scottish Tory leader chaps is called Jackson Carlaw so I suspect he got the name for that reason.

Yes indeed Wilf, said Master Totten went on to be a very successful businessman I believe.

But let's not forget also the mercurial footballing talent on Sons' books in the early 1970's of one Drummond Mentiply, a Marc Bolan lookalike midfielder who was somewhat erratic in performance. He never quite made it at Boghead - or anywhere else for that matter - but gave rise to the epic Gare Clyde headline 'Multiply Mentiply !' in the County Reporter.