Sons' sorrow

Pretty much all of this! You could have been reading my mind.

I was a wee bit surprised at Brian Gallagher, until I surmised that you must be referring to Brian Gallagher Mark 2.

Glad to see Jumbo getting a mention, I always thought he was a bit of a talisman and remember fondly his towering header against Killie to take us into the Scottish Cup semi. I think he also scored a cracker at Shawfield. I would also add Ray Montgomerie, converted from a centre forward to one of our finest right backs. John Donnelly was a very talented midfielder with a tremendous engine and I seem to remember him having a purple patch at the beginning of 82/83 season when he was virtually unstoppable and scored an impressive amount of goals into the bargain. Honourable mention too, to Brian Heron who possibly had the hardest shot of any player I remember.

My dad, who was a harsh critic, also rated guys like Bobby Craig, Tim Whalen, Hughie Gallacher and Leslie Brown, but I missed out on seeing them by about seven or eight years.

I remember Jumbo for exactly the same reasons - that Scottish Cup goal and the Shawford goal when he ran almost the full length of the pitch, ran through most of the Clyde team and scored the first in a 3-0 win - one of the best Dumbarton games I have ever seen.

Scott murdoch! a supposed quality player who gave away a daft penalty and looked miles off it. What dodgy manager signed him?

it was oor Tam that signed the donkey, he soon saw sense and punted him.

According to a work colleague bankie , he was a great player!!

Calum Campbell was a huge disappointment... Think we spent a lot of money on him too (a lot for Dumbarton anyway)....in fact he was pish. Cannae remember who we bought him from.

Pretty sure it was KIlmarnock. He was a massive letdown and I've no idea what Murdo was thinking. I think we splashed out on the proceeds from a League(?) cup tie at Ibrox against Rangers (R.I.P.)

Pretty sure it was KIlmarnock. He was a massive letdown and I've no idea what Murdo was thinking. I think we splashed out on the proceeds from a League(?) cup tie at Ibrox against Rangers (R.I.P.)

Was it not £60k for Campbell. Record signing for us. I've heard folk say Gibson was our record signing at £50k but I'm sure we paid £60k for Campbell. It's a bit hazy but I recall him on his debut for us away to Dunfermline. I think we were maybe 2 or 3 down and he was involved in us getting a couple of goals back. He done heehaw after that.

Having watched the game the other night i strongly belive miller is better than the number 8 gallagher i think? Great result for us but like to see the old boys do well

Gallagher is a great player, he just had a shocker on Tuesday. If you had seen him against Morton, Hibs or St Mirren I'm pretty confident your impression of him would be the complete opposite.

Calum Campbell was a huge disappointment... Think we spent a lot of money on him too (a lot for Dumbarton anyway)....in fact he was pish. Cannae remember who we bought him from.

Was it not £60k for Campbell. Record signing for us. I've heard folk say Gibson was our record signing at £50k but I'm sure we paid £60k for Campbell. It's a bit hazy but I recall him on his debut for us away to Dunfermline. I think we were maybe 2 or 3 down and he was involved in us getting a couple of goals back. He done heehaw after that.

It was indeed Kilmarnock that sold us the shoddy goods.

From my memory it was £50k, same as we shelled out for Gibson. I know which was the better deal.

Trust Sons fans to turn something positive like selecting an all time greats team to a negative by posting a diddies 11.

Us older fans just appreciate how lucky we are to have a very decent side at the moment! ????

Edited by stu20vt