Sons' sorrow

Great Sons fans 'meh' a like.

Meh.

Bit baffled if he's signed to play centre midfield. We really, really don't need any more of them.

Stevie's been calling him a striker so he must be signed to play as a striker. Judging by the reviews of him he doesn't sound like much of a striker but I'm willing to give him a chance.

It doesn't sound overly promising to hear him being described as a centre mid.

Is he bound to be better than Smith? Most likely.

Is he what we needed? Only time will tell.

I have my doubts and would much rather have brought in someone up and coming on loan than someone who has been released from a team and not found another by this point in the transfer window.

Ross is only 21 to be fair and it seems it wouldn't have been met with too much negativity if County had kept him on. I'm hopeful he'll do a good job for us.

Did the article not say he didn't get a club because he wanted to play at a higher level? Outside of the Highlands most people wouldn't have heard of him, so wouldn't have taken a punt. I've no idea what he'll be like, but I'm optimistic.

Meh.

Stevie's been calling him a striker so he must be signed to play as a striker. Judging by the reviews of him he doesn't sound like much of a striker but I'm willing to give him a chance.

It doesn't sound overly promising to hear him being described as a centre mid.

You would have thought so, but Oor Creepy was described as a striker and plays out on the right wing most of the time. Obviously we knew he wasn't an out and out striker from seeing him at Alloa but still, a striker?

This beginning to look a bit hairy, but I suppose we can only judge things in the fullness of time. At face vale the lad Ross may well offer us something different in forward areas, but apparently not as a goalscorer, or at least a proven one.

Stevie Aitken's comments about Smith and Miller don't sound those of a guy desperate to keep hold of these players, so maybe it would be better to draw a line under it as of now, rather than have disaffected players mooching around skelping folk with scaffolding poles.

That's Wright now confirmed on your official site. Great signing as we've already covered.

However;

He said : "Frazer is someone we looked at when we first came in to the club and when the chance to get him after his St Johnstone release we had to follow it up.

"He'll give us options both defensively and in midfield and I'm obviously happy to have his services."

:lol:

Just no. Do NOT play him in midfield.

This beginning to look a bit hairy, but I suppose we can only judge things in the fullness of time. At face vale the lad Ross may well offer us something different in forward areas, but apparently not as a goalscorer, or at least a proven one.

Stevie Aitken's comments about Smith and Miller don't sound those of a guy desperate to keep hold of these players, so maybe it would be better to draw a line under it as of now, rather than have disaffected players mooching around skelping folk with scaffolding poles.

Any 'proven goalscorer's' will already have a club at this stage in the transfer window.

Jon Daly and Lee Miller were only signed up very recently, but I take your general point.

That is fair, but we are in a slightly different situation with our part time status. I understand we have managed to snap up a couple of players who have dropped to the PT wages /training that come with us. But they are all older, injury prone or looking into coaching.

That's Wright now confirmed on your official site. Great signing as we've already covered.

However;

He said : "Frazer is someone we looked at when we first came in to the club and when the chance to get him after his St Johnstone release we had to follow it up.

"He'll give us options both defensively and in midfield and I'm obviously happy to have his services."

:lol:

Just no. Do NOT play him in midfield.

I think Barr is more likely to be moved in there than Wright. We really have plenty of options for the middle of the park so I reckon it'll be centre back or bench for Wright.

while steven ross was on loan fron county to brora in 2013 - he scored 29 goals in 37 games

That's not a bad return at all, even if it is Highland League level. Both players confirmed on the site now.

Out and out goal scorers are at a premium. Out and out goal scorers who are good enough to score in the Championship and willing to play for part time wages are like hens teeth.

It may be the case that Aitken can't get the kind of striker who is likely to bag 20-30 goals a season. We're not all lucky enough to have a Rory McAllister willing to play part time. Thats not a problem if we can spread the goals around the team and our big problem may well be that we havent looked like doing so in our opening half dozen games.

Gibson and Cawley are attacking players who should be a threat in and around the penalty box, cutting in from their wing. Fleming and Gallagher should be a threat pushing on from midfield and supporting Craig in attack. Other than set pieces, thats not really happening. Fleming was a stand out against Hibs and St Mirren with his constant work rate but it didnt really lead to a goal threat. Gibson's free kicks aside, he wasn't cutting in off his flank when the play was on the opposite side to add an extra body in the box.

The lack of goals from open play isnt just down to Craig's less than stellar form and bringing in a new out and out striker won't necessarily address the underlying issues. We need to get a bit more of a threat from all of our players, particularly the midfielders who should be expected to push on and join an attack.

Should we assume that Darren Barr and Mark Brown were consulted regarding young Ross, and if so the desire to sign him may suggest they were complimentary.

Or maybe that's just pish - who knows ?

I did wonder if Stevie Craig had played with him at County and perhaps thought he'd work well in our team playing with Craig?

My son is involved in football up north - i got it from him

Apparently steven ross's brother is every bit as good as him ( they were both youths at county ) can we get two for the price of one?

Noticed that he had a brother at County when I was updating his Wiki page. Has your Son seen (our) Ross play much?