Sons' sorrow

Apparently the Petrofac has been arranged for the 28th so we can all relax.

Not just yet...I've seen a few Rangers fans asking if the game will be re-arranged as they have players away on international duty.

Who is it they have who's an international anyway? Aird with Canada and Wallace (occasionally) with Scotland, but that's it off the top of my head.

Not just yet...I've seen a few Rangers fans asking if the game will be re-arranged as they have players away on international duty.

Who is it they have who's an international anyway? Aird with Canada and Wallace (occasionally) with Scotland, but that's it off the top of my head.

They have a striker that plays with Scotland under 19s, scored a couple against us last year I think (his name evades me) don't think he's kicked a ball in anger this year but apparently he was the reason they got the original livi tie postponed

They have a striker that plays with Scotland under 19s, scored a couple against us last year I think (his name evades me) don't think he's kicked a ball in anger this year but apparently he was the reason they got the original livi tie postponed

Ryan Hardie that'll be - he's a cracking player, I was hoping we might look to get him in but apparently he was very much part of the squad...as his 40 minutes of playing time this season proves.

If they get it moved to a midweek because of him (or any other single player) thus putting us at a further disadvantage I'll be seething.

Ryan Hardie that'll be - he's a cracking player, I was hoping we might look to get him in but apparently he was very much part of the squad...as his 40 minutes of playing time this season proves.

If they get it moved to a midweek because of him (or any other single player) thus putting us at a further disadvantage I'll be seething.

That's the guy! Cheers! Well it was because of him they got the original game against livi postponed if I remember correctly so I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing again

I think it says a lot that the players didn't have a quiz team this year - there isn't anywhere the same connection between the players and the fans/the club as there was in previous seasons.

Might be naive, but it seems the players we've had in previous season cared more the club than this lot. You just have to compare Darren Barr to Andy Graham or Bryan Prunty - the difference in passion on the pitch is huge. As a player who would you push that extra bit for? Guys with real passion or a captain who blames everyone else for letting Baird get in behind his defence time after time?

Edited by bigmacDFC

I think it says a lot that the players didn't have a quiz team this year - there isn't anywhere the same connection between the players and the fans/the club as there was in previous seasons.

Might be naive, but it seems the players we've had in previous season cared more the club than this lot. You just have to compare Darren Barr to Andy Graham or Bryan Prunty - the difference in passion on the pitch is huge. As a player who would you push that extra bit for? Guys with real passion or a captain who blames everyone else for letting Baird get in behind his defence time after time?

Not really buying that.

A lot of these players have just arrived at the club, they have zero connection to Dumbarton, they are here to do a job and that's all that matters. Would you rather have Andy Graham than Barr or Buchanan? I certainly wouldn't. Minus yesterday both have them have performed well.

If there's an issue with Barr not being a good captain that's up to Stevie to sort out. Folk banging on about Andy Graham like he's the benchmark of captaincy or defending need to remember the goal difference stats with him in our squad. I liked him as a player and a captain but he's moved on and so should we.

As for Prunty, he was a one off with his passion for the club, a different mould from the modern day player. I'd be very surprised if any player ever showed that sort of passion again.

It's up to the gaffer to motivate his players and it's up to them to respond. Currently it looks like neither is working but I certainly wouldn't put that down to the lack of guys who pretend they support the club in the squad. I'd highly doubt that other than maybe Graham and Prunty there's been any players who have turned out for us in the last 3 years who give a single f**k about DFC outwith picking up 3 points on a Saturday, that's their job.

Just looking around at players who appeared yesterday in their respective squads. How would this team perform

Rogers

McGinn Gordon Collins Devlin

Geggan Turner Forbes Megginson

Kane Dobbie

Subs Crawford Graham Lithgow Holmes Gilhaney Russell Gemmell

Could this team beat our present mob. Loved to have seen Dobbie and Kane play togethe.

Let's not forget that in the two games he started for us this season Andy Graham was directly responsible for two goals. He was a decent player for us, but is nowhere near the demi-God that some of our fans view him as.

In a completely random, and never going to happen point, I'd love to see Nicky Devlin back one day. Loves the club and a very talented player. Glad he's finally beginning to fulfil his potential.

We don't pay these guys to send a team to a quiz night once a year. These guys don't come and play for us because they want to make new friends with some fans. The gaffer put a team in and was there representing the team, fair enough. Passion? I'd rather a player with ability than passion.

Amazing that we think Andy Graham is better at organising a defence than a guy who's been doing it at the top level in the country for his whole career. We had a bad day, it's not the end of the world and getting misty eyed over former players (who largely contributed to some ridiculous "goals against" columns in the last few years) helps absolutely nothing.

We don't pay these guys to send a team to a quiz night once a year. These guys don't come and play for us because they want to make new friends with some fans. The gaffer put a team in and was there representing the team, fair enough. Passion? I'd rather a player with ability than passion.

Amazing that we think Andy Graham is better at organising a defence than a guy who's been doing it at the top level in the country for his whole career. We had a bad day, it's not the end of the world and getting misty eyed over former players (who largely contributed to some ridiculous "goals against" columns in the last few years) helps absolutely nothing.

Importance of ability to wave at the fans > importance of ability to play the game ;)

Edited by Boghead ranter

Importance of ability to wave at the fans > importance of ability to play the game ;)

We actually employ players based on their ability to wave at the fans. It's part of the medical these days.

Danny Rogers gave us all a wee wave on Saturday, good to see he's not forgotten all he learned at Dumbarton. With such a smooth but firm wave he's destined for the top, it's a truly majestic waving style he's developed.

Andy did organise the defence; Barr doesn't.

Andy did organise the defence; Barr doesn't.

Depends what you would consider organising a defence. The stats would suggest that Barr is part of a far more successful defence than Andy Graham ever was in terms of goals conceded.

It's still very early on in Barr's Sons career but to me he's been a solid performer. Other than the last 2 matches I've been impressed with our defence. Our lack of creativity and our inability to create chances at the other end of the park have been far more concerning for me.

Seems like Barr is being made a bit of a scapegoat for what was an absolute c**t of a performance by the entire team.

Depends what you would consider organising a defence. The stats would suggest that Barr is part of a far more successful defence than Andy Graham ever was in terms of goals conceded.

It's still very early on in Barr's Sons career but to me he's been a solid performer. Other than the last 2 matches I've been impressed with our defence. Our lack of creativity and our inability to create chances at the other end of the park have been far more concerning for me.

Seems like Barr is being made a bit of a scapegoat for what was an absolute c**t of a performance by the entire team.

Quite. He wasn't even the poorest defender on the day.