Sons' sorrow

The question for me is whether or not we'd be likely to do better than Aitken?

Lets be honest, there's not exactly an abundance of good young managers out there who would want to come to a part time club. We could luck out like we did with Murray where the risk of appointing somebody with no experience worked for us. Alternatively we could appoint somebody who simply isnt ready for a manager job. At the other end theres the risk of appointing somebody who's been around the lower leagues and who isnt capable of going any higher.

He's made mistakes. It's a massive learning curve going from Stranraer to Dumbarton and we may well suffer from his having to learn. There are still plenty of games left for us to improve and if Livingston can turn things around then why can't we? There was nothing between the 2 sides yesterday beyond some comedy defending for their winner. Are Morton that better a team than we are? Before yesterday's game there was only 3 points in it.

Its not looking good right now but lets not consign ourselves to the seaside league just yet.

The question for me is whether or not we'd be likely to do better than Aitken?

Lets be honest, there's not exactly an abundance of good young managers out there who would want to come to a part time club. We could luck out like we did with Murray where the risk of appointing somebody with no experience worked for us. Alternatively we could appoint somebody who simply isnt ready for a manager job. At the other end theres the risk of appointing somebody who's been around the lower leagues and who isnt capable of going any higher.

He's made mistakes. It's a massive learning curve going from Stranraer to Dumbarton and we may well suffer from his having to learn. There are still plenty of games left for us to improve and if Livingston can turn things around then why can't we? There was nothing between the 2 sides yesterday beyond some comedy defending for their winner. Are Morton that better a team than we are? Before yesterday's game there was only 3 points in it.

Its not looking good right now but lets not consign ourselves to the seaside league just yet.

I'm with you on this one.

I'm deeply concerned at the minute due to some pretty woeful performances but no need to chat about sacking Aitken yet. He's only 11 games into the season. There's a long way to go yet, but performances do need to drastically improve.

I'm desperate for things to work out for him, I just hope he has it in his locker to get us out of this deepening hole we're in, that's when we'll find out how good a gaffer he is. If we're staring relegation in the face come February I think we can then start thinking about what the board should do. Right now they need to back their man to the hilt and I'm confident they will.

I don't think it matters what aitken does. I reckon the board will stick with him regardless, if we do end up down I still don't think he will get sacked, he has proven himself a good manager in the past and I'm sure he would be confident in coming straight back up.

Anyway, less of this relegation chat. We're gonna be in the playoffs.............

Sacking him, especially this early would be ridiculous. He's signed players with good rep and experience, it's them who aren't performing on the pitch... Aitken picks the team and will try drill some kind of tactics into them, but he canny see the ball out of play for a goal kick or mark players in the box can he? Some people really are large vaginas.

Brown. 5. Big disappointment

Saunders. 6. Solid

Barr. 7. Solid

Buchanan. 8. Best signing

Docherty. 6. Good crossing, slow

Wright.6. Too old, experience

Gibson. 7. Lacking confidence

Gallagher.6. Like Gibson, promising

Routledge. 7. Too similar to Brown

S.Brown. 7. Too similar to routledge

Cawley. 7. Good, lacking goals

Craig. 5. Should be better

Lindsay. 8, missed him, look better with

Waters. 4. Wasted on the bench

Ross. 4, needs game time,

Keeper needed, or give Ewings his chance

Find an aggy type, or kirky in there alongside Brown or routledge

Fleming to number 10 role, find a striker, or give mccallum game time,

Any new signings I've missed?

Saunders. 6. Solid

Barr. 7. Solid

Don't think so but u have 2 much time on your hands

Any talk of sacking Aitken is ridiculous and massively premature as far as I'm concerned.

We've had, overall, a very underwhelming start to the season and find ourselves in a bit of a rut, but Aitken has a good track record with battling against bigger clubs with bigger budgets and thriving, so it's the only way to go at the moment, keeping Aitken.

Come Christmas if we're still in the same type of situation because we've not taken points from Raith, Alloa, St. Mirren, or Livingston, then maybe it'd be time for a rethink, but for now, let's stick with Aitken, and, this is where he earns his dosh, let's see how he can turn this around.

I'm with you on this one.

I'm deeply concerned at the minute due to some pretty woeful performances but no need to chat about sacking Aitken yet. He's only 11 games into the season. There's a long way to go yet, but performances do need to drastically improve.

I'm desperate for things to work out for him, I just hope he has it in his locker to get us out of this deepening hole we're in, that's when we'll find out how good a gaffer he is. If we're staring relegation in the face come February I think we can then start thinking about what the board should do. Right now they need to back their man to the hilt and I'm confident they will.

I agree with all of what you say there, pretty much spot on.

What I will say is that for me, the performances don't necessarily need to improve, the results do.

If the performances improve and we're still not getting results, it won't mean anything. If we remain dire in our 'on the eye' stuff but grind out a handful of wins over the next 6/8 games, then I can't say it would bother me in the slightest.

Saunders. 6. Solid

Barr. 7. Solid

Too many high marks there.

No idea how you'd mark Lindsay an 8... He's only played 3 games and he was garbage in one!

Edited by Thommo90

What Dumbarton need badly is a leader on the park. Someone to shout, exort encourage and lead by example. Andy graham was such a player as was Jim meechan twenty years ago. Maybe Fraser Wright when fit could take that role over but certainly nobody did it yesterday. At times the lads looked like they were on a picnic such was their lethargy. All the players yesterday were good enough but there was no heart or desire to win. It is not new players that we need but a new attitude.

I wasn't there, Morton, hibs, st.mirren?, I think, he was excellent, and considering how long he was out, excellent against Morton again, I felt we were going to win, we started to really control it, I agree with the previous post, that we need a leader, we're too quiet, especially Darren Barr, who is supposedly our captain, and a nish like centre forward, I probably get slated for it, but we've been rotten since he left, gemmill? No way he'd get bullied off the ball, would certainly win plenty headers against most defender's, and can hit a fair shot, and has the experience now