Sons' sorrow

I watched the sons for the first time 11 years ago. I think it was a fan day. Point is since the ive went to home and away games held 5/6 seasons tickets, numerous strips and scarfs and brought my friends along who became fans and have done similar. So thats alot of income for dumbarton and extra sons fans for all those years. So really i think we put to much time into things that dont give us what we need. We need to promote the club more, there is next to zero outreach in terms of getting new people onboard.

Edited by sonsational

All this chat of dinners and stuff that you arent filling is a waste of time. I probably only speak for myself but im only interested in the football. Perhaps we'd get some more fans in if we move away from this golf club prawn sandwich rubbish. Instead maybe we could try some more football related events? Cut price ticket days? Fans days market the club more. Rather than arrange dinners nobody wants apart from the few of you who are pals. In which case frankie and bennys is up the road.

What a load of shite :lol:

The club needs to raise funds outside of football so they host events such as quizzes, comedy evenings, quids for the kids etc etc. It's hardly a fox hunt with the exclusive Eton club, they sell tickets to the public.

The club wouldn't survive very long if the 'few folk who are pals' abondoned all the fund raising.

We're sleepwalking towards a serious problem if we can't get younger fans to follow the club. I don't know what our supporter age profile is but it must be predominantly older. The big hope is that the 20 and 30 somethings inflict a love of The Sons on their kids but is that really sustainable? Are we really looking at one out, one in and a status quo of numbers at best? We need to get bums on seats. I know that we face a lot of problems with the OF on our doorstep and we're always going to have an upper limit to the numbers we will attract but surely we haven't reached that limit yet?

All this chat of dinners and stuff that you arent filling is a waste of time. I probably only speak for myself but im only interested in the football. Perhaps we'd get some more fans in if we move away from this golf club prawn sandwich rubbish. Instead maybe we could try some more football related events? Cut price ticket days? Fans days market the club more. Rather than arrange dinners nobody wants apart from the few of you who are pals. In which case frankie and bennys is up the road.

Can you explain how having a "Football Hall of Fame" dinner isn't a football related event? The cut price ticket thing has been debated for an age and the sad fact is nobody in this town gives two fucks about the club except for the people who already go. Which brings me nicely to this post...

I watched the sons for the first time 11 years ago. I think it was a fan day. Point is since the ive went to home and away games held 5/6 seasons tickets, numerous strips and scarfs and brought my friends along who became fans and have done similar. So thats alot of income for dumbarton and extra sons fans for all those years. So really i think we put to much time into things that dont give us what we need. We need to promote the club more, there is next to zero outreach in terms of getting new people onboard.

I'm interested in how many folk you've brought along who have become fans and keep coming back every week? How would you promote the club more? Perhaps put posters up advertising all the games in local shops/pubs? Have fairly communicative and engaging social media presence? Have a "Raise the Rock" fun day type thing every year to get families and kids involved? Perhaps even try something different in hospitality the odd week, offering a cut price and some different food from the norm? I'm sure the club do all of that but you seem to be suggesting that none of it has been as successful as your "bring a pal" solution.

The club aren't perfect, I agree, but you make the reality sound like the club do nothing at all in trying to engage supporters. The actual reality is you have hard working people giving up their own time, trying to make the club something better yet they're left banging their heads against a wall when every idea they throw up is shot down in flames, the latest example being the curry deal for the Scottish Cup.

The club aren't perfect, I agree, but you make the reality sound like the club do nothing at all in trying to engage supporters. The actual reality is you have hard working people giving up their own time, trying to make the club something better yet they're left banging their heads against a wall when every idea they throw up is shot down in flames, the latest example being the curry deal for the Scottish Cup.

I'm at and beyond the age where memory is poor - was the Curry deal a 'Curry and Corporate ticket' or just 'have a curry' before the match?

The *insert meal deal here* and corporate ticket might increase revenue, due to increased actual cost, but won't increase number of fans attending, again due to increased actual cost.

Encouraging people to make having lunch and a couple of pints at the stadium on game day (with varying lunch themes), before entering the ground by the normal gate at the normal price, might (and again it's a big might) bring the numbers up a little.

I'm at and beyond the age where memory is poor - was the Curry deal a 'Curry and Corporate ticket' or just 'have a curry' before the match?

The *insert meal deal here* and corporate ticket might increase revenue, due to increased actual cost, but won't increase number of fans attending, again due to increased actual cost.

Encouraging people to make having lunch and a couple of pints at the stadium on game day (with varying lunch themes), before entering the ground by the normal gate at the normal price, might (and again it's a big might) bring the numbers up a little.

It was curry & onion bhaji, dessert, a beer & entry to the Alloa match for £35.

Curry and corporate ticket, yes.

It was curry & onion bhaji, dessert, a beer & entry to the Alloa match for £35.

There was also wine on your table. When you consider the entry price for the Alloa game was £15 I'd say it was a pretty good deal. Not many places you'll get a curry, dessert, beer, wine with pies and tea/coffee 45 minutes after that for 20 quid.

Ive brought about 4 or 5. New people and one is a full time sons fan and goes every week. Its difficult with commitments as others say but the other people i bring turn up fairly regulatly aswell. If a business was ran the way dumbarton is in terms of attracting clients they wouldnt do too well. Im not suggesting we will have lots following us but the curry stuffs alot of shite. Oh we need to do that to raise more money. Well as someone said it before you need to call in every favour just to make it viable half the time. Back to football. If we cant fill pur stand get those tickets out to the kids. Simple.

Ive brought about 4 or 5. New people and one is a full time sons fan and goes every week. Its difficult with commitments as others say but the other people i bring turn up fairly regulatly aswell. If a business was ran the way dumbarton is in terms of attracting clients they wouldnt do too well. Im not suggesting we will have lots following us but the curry stuffs alot of shite. Oh we need to do that to raise more money. Well as someone said it before you need to call in every favour just to make it viable half the time. Back to football. If we cant fill pur stand get those tickets out to the kids. Simple.

So your grand plan of raising more money is to give free tickets to kids? How much revenue is that bringing us in?

What fund raising ideas do you have? It's easy to sit back and say "it's not good enough" but unless you're willing to put forward some suggestions or even better, take the reigns yourself, then it's a bit of a cheap shot at folk giving up their valuable time to try and make the club better. And by the way, if you were one of these people (giving up your own time every week) and all you see at every turn is criticism, how long do you reckon you'd carry on?

Can you explain how having a "Football Hall of Fame" dinner isn't a football related event? The cut price ticket thing has been debated for an age and the sad fact is nobody in this town gives two fucks about the club except for the people who already go. Which brings me nicely to this post...

I'm interested in how many folk you've brought along who have become fans and keep coming back every week? How would you promote the club more? Perhaps put posters up advertising all the games in local shops/pubs? Have fairly communicative and engaging social media presence? Have a "Raise the Rock" fun day type thing every year to get families and kids involved? Perhaps even try something different in hospitality the odd week, offering a cut price and some different food from the norm? I'm sure the club do all of that but you seem to be suggesting that none of it has been as successful as your "bring a pal" solution.

I think the advertising and the fans days are good. We should put more into that, i think we get side tracked with trying to become a restaurant often.

people need to more objective about what can be achieved when we do an event. For example the legends dinner thats 'more football' wont achieve anything. The same old people will go and the club will stuggle just to get bums on seats. If im a new fan i will have zero interest in a legends night. There has to be more emphasis on attracting new fans at any event we under take should have that in mind. I dont buy this arguement no one wants to watch the sons. Thats rubbish they are out there they just need some encouragment. Ticket prices arent helping mind you but i realise we are up against it financially in this league. This is somthing i think the SFA need to assist with more. However its all very well debating it 'for an age' lets actually do it and announce it more. Im not shooting anyone down in flames im pointing out that we should be more focussed on what can be achieved.

Edited by sonsational

I think the advertising and the fans days are good. We should put more into that, i think we get side tracked with trying to become a restaurant often. For example people need to more objective about what can be achieved when we do an event. For example the legends dinner thats 'more football' wont achieve anything. The same old people will go and the club will stuggle just to get bums on seats. If im a new fan i will have zero interest in a legends night. There has to be more emphasis on attracting new fans and any even we under take should have that in mind. I dont buy this arguement no one wants to watch the sons. Thats rubbish they are out there they just need some encouragment. Ticket prices arent helping mind you but i realise we are up against it financially in this league. This is somthing i think the SFA need to assist with more.

What does "more emphasis on attracting fans" actually mean though? What "more" should be put into advertising?

Do you fancy giving up your Saturday mornings to head round all the shops and pubs and "encourage" these fans along to the game then? What are the specific things you'd like to see the club do to encourage folk along? So far all you've said is "do more" or "do better".

No i dont work for dumbarton fc. They are the business i am client. I go to the games i pay my way as do others with me. If other have more time to give then thats great i dont . You probably dont. Im not getting at the fans. This is directed at the clubs commerical side which i believe actually employs some folk. Schools are a big one dfc needs much more inolvement in local school football. Ticket prices. Fan days. Local outreach. Im not saying ive got all the ideas i just think we living in our own bubble a bit and not looking outwards at the community. Kids go free. Family tickets make it affordable.

Edited by sonsational

So your grand plan of raising more money is to give free tickets to kids? How much revenue is that bringing us in?

What fund raising ideas do you have? It's easy to sit back and say "it's not good enough" but unless you're willing to put forward some suggestions or even better, take the reigns yourself, then it's a bit of a cheap shot at folk giving up their valuable time to try and make the club better. And by the way, if you were one of these people (giving up your own time every week) and all you see at every turn is criticism, how long do you reckon you'd carry on?

Raising money to give free tickets to kids? They are our seats that are empty. That costs nothing. No wonder folk get downhearted having to chase up seats for a curry night. What im saying is you dont need to bother. Conserve your time and energy and have a good think over what event we could do that will be a success. Ie attract more fans. Thats the bottomline. And the put some effort behind it instead of getting every frustrated over curry nights that frankly mean heehaw and will achieve heehaw. Edited by sonsational

What does "more emphasis on attracting fans" actually mean though? What "more" should be put into advertising?

Do you fancy giving up your Saturday mornings to head round all the shops and pubs and "encourage" these fans along to the game then? What are the specific things you'd like to see the club do to encourage folk along? So far all you've said is "do more" or "do better".

You know, it could be a simple and straightforward as public-facing club officials being pleasant to people; that would be a twofold benefit, it would be absolutely the right thing to do and it would be so different from what has gone before it would be a revelation.

If I ever deal with a shop, business, whatever and they tell me 'what you must do' or 'you need to..', then I'm already thinking 'no I feckin' don't...' Sometimes a simple 'how can I help' accompanied by a smile can quickly seal the deal. Or a pleasant phone manner.

And stop treating the paying customer like an irritation too.

Edited by Frank Quitely

It's far too hard to attract new fans to follow Dumbarton, 99% of people who have an interest in football in this area follow the old firm (and by follow I mean occasionally watch their games on tv..)

I don't know what the club do behind the scenes to try get new people in, do they still give tickets away to schools?

It's far too hard to attract new fans to follow Dumbarton, 99% of people who have an interest in football in this area follow the old firm (and by follow I mean occasionally watch their games on tv..)

I don't know what the club do behind the scenes to try get new people in, do they still give tickets away to schools?

Back in the Boghead days, DFC used to regularly give out Complimentaries to a local Primary school, then another Primary would get their turn over the course of the Season.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to dish out some free tickets to schoolkids, especially for matches that aren't that busy, Livi, Alloa etc.

Never know, they might even make some positive noise, in the 'Home End' :P

Ticket prices arent helping mind you but i realise we are up against it financially in this league. This is somthing i think the SFA need to assist with more.

I'm intrigued by this idea, not sure what you mean by it? Are you advocating that the SFA should have some sort of subsidy to help you complete with others? Or is this the old "maximum ticket price" idea getting another airing? Although presumably that would be the SPFL rather than the SFA. I'm not sure what difference that would make to anything though. You still have the smallest ground in the division and aren't going to be able to compete on income terms even if there was a maximum price

No i dont work for dumbarton fc. They are the business i am client. I go to the games i pay my way as do others with me. If other have more time to give then thats great i dont . You probably dont. Im not getting at the fans. This is directed at the clubs commerical side which i believe actually employs some folk. Schools are a big one dfc needs much more inolvement in local school football. Ticket prices. Fan days. Local outreach. Im not saying ive got all the ideas i just think we living in our own bubble a bit and not looking outwards at the community. Kids go free. Family tickets make it affordable.

You were having a go at some suggestions put forward and previous events that have been arranged, all of these events are arranged by the Trust i.e. volunteers. None of them are paid for the work they do. I'm not sure who we employ commercially? I thought Alan Findlay was the commercial director and as far as I'm aware volunteers all his time. We employ a CEO, if you ire is directed at him then fair enough.

We were discussing fund raising ideas and you suggested free tickets to kids, I was merely asking what revenue that brings into the club. I agree with the comments from Frank above about us not being the most officially welcoming but I waded into this debate because the fund raising ideas were being shot down and the folk who are being mentioned above are not the same people trying to put fund raisers together.