Sons' sorrow

I attended the Community Council meeting last night where Roddy did a presentation. The folk present weren't impressed, but for slightly different reasons to us as none of them are fans of the club. Roddy took a fair amount of stick on the 1 in 200 year flood risk and he let slip that if our survey found that it flooded more than 1 in 200 years then we legally couldn't build on that land. I can honestly see two of the training pitches being dropped from the proposal, Roddy mentioned that as a solution last night and I can see them doing that to get away from the flooding issue, but of course that then eats into their suggestion that we'll be raking it in from renting our facilities.

Most other concerns were about access, the farmer who owns the land adjacent to where the new stadium is going made it extremely clear that he would be an issue for traffic. If this stadium gets buily he loses the land that his cows are currently on, that means he needs to move them to other land he owns and that will involve moving his cows across the slip road and Renton Road which he quite rightly said he won't stop doing because there is a match on, it's not his problem. I genuinely think the access route is a disaster and public links are non-existant.

Roddy was questioned on the sale of the land from Chivas, he seemed to suggest that Chivas will take a percentage of whatever sale price we get from house builders, those weren't his exact words but that seemed to be his general point. We all expected that Chivas wouldn't hand over this land for peanuts when we're talking about raising close to £14M from it but the above suggestion sounds very different from the "great deal" that Wilson painted at the Trust meeting.

I honestly think this plan will be dead soon. None of it is justified or seems viable. We need to start looking at plan B (or C or whatever one we're at now).

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I attended the Community Council meeting last night where Roddy did a presentation. The folk present weren't impressed, but for slightly different reasons to us as none of them are fans of the club. Roddy took a fair amount of stick on the 1 in 200 year flood risk and he let slip that if our survey found that it flooded more than 1 in 200 years then we legally couldn't build on that land. I can honestly see two of the training pitches being dropped from the proposal, Roddy mentioned that as a solution last night and I can see them doing that to get away from the flooding issue, but of course that then eats into their suggestion that we'll be raking it in from renting our facilities.

Most other concerns were about access, the farmer who owns the land adjacent to where the new stadium is going made it extremely clear that he would be an issue for traffic. If this stadium gets buily he loses the land that his cows are currently on, that means he needs to move them to other land he owns and that will involve moving his cows across the slip road and Renton Road which he quite rightly said he won't stop doing because there is a match on, it's not his problem. I genuinely think the access route is a disaster and public links are non-existant.

Roddy was questioned on the sale of the land from Chivas, he seemed to suggest that Chivas will take a percentage of whatever sale price we get from house builders, those weren't his exact words but that seemed to be his general point. We all expected that Chivas wouldn't hand over this land for peanuts when we're talking about raising close to £14M from it but the above suggestion sounds very different from the "great deal" that Wilson painted at the Trust meeting.

I honestly think this plan will be dead soon. None of it is justified or seems viable. We need to start looking at plan B (or C or whatever one we're at now).

i seriously can't see how building a football stadium right next to the renton road can possibly work, a cow walks on the road i've been stuck there for 30-45 mins.

imagine 500-1000 fans trying to get to a game out there on match day, it would be a laugh.

hope the plans dead soon as you say.

Interesting. Was it only Roddy in attendance or were there other reps there?

It seems like Roddy is not only a planning consultant but has been tasked with being a spokesperson and convincing people this is a viable move that will benefit the community. I can't claim to have any sort of knowledge around what the role of planning consultant involves but it seems like they are really putting a lot of trust in him to do the 'dirty work'.

If this doesn't go ahead then folk should be fully prepared for comes next. Who knows how it will all pan out but I don't trust Wilson one bit, I don't have a great deal of trust in our Chairman and I fear what plan B, C, D or E may be.

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Interesting. Was it only Roddy in attendance or were there other reps there?

It seems like Roddy is not only a planning consultant but has been tasked with being a spokesperson and convincing people this is a viable move that will benefit the community. I can't claim to have any sort of knowledge around what the role of planning consultant involves but it seems like they are really putting a lot of trust in him to do the 'dirty work'.

If this doesn't go ahead then folk should be fully prepared for comes next. Who knows how it will all pan out but I don't trust Wilson one bit, I don't have a great deal of trust in our Chairman and I fear what plan B, C, D or E may be.

Just Roddy and again I felt sorry for him. When an old woman who has no care for football at all levelled the question "Dumbarton only have about 800 people who attend games, how can you justify a 4,000 capacity stadium?" you can see it in Roddy's face that it blatantly can't be justified. It's not that guys job to convince the people of Dunbarton that this is a justified move, he was tasked with designing a stadium on a shit piece of land in a shit area and I think he's done quite well considering. But Wilson or Stainton or whoever from Brabco should be there with him at any of these presentations. I don't think they realise the impression that leaves and the damage it can do to their case. If they want to convince the public this is a great deal then they need to start showing face and giving firm, suportable answers and not "well we might do this and we have the option to do that". Firm plans with actual costings (not just a random figure plucked out the air with no supporting evidence). I can't believe we're still looking for all of that when they're looking to put the planning application in at some point over the next few months.

Just Roddy and again I felt sorry for him. When an old woman who has no care for football at all levelled the question "Dumbarton only have about 800 people who attend games, how can you justify a 4,000 capacity stadium?" you can see it in Roddy's face that it blatantly can't be justified. It's not that guys job to convince the people of Dunbarton that this is a justified move, he was tasked with designing a stadium on a shit piece of land in a shit area and I think he's done quite well considering. But Wilson or Stainton or whoever from Brabco should be there with him at any of these presentations. I don't think they realise the impression that leaves and the damage it can do to their case. If they want to convince the public this is a great deal then they need to start showing face and giving firm, suportable answers and not "well we might do this and we have the option to do that". Firm plans with actual costings (not just a random figure plucked out the air with no supporting evidence). I can't believe we're still looking for all of that when they're looking to put the planning application in at some point over the next few months.

Agreed.

Wilson one appearance thus far has also been disastrous for their cause. Bumbling along spouting rubbish and almost insulting supporters in the process.

The whole thing from top to bottom is all a bit farcical. Astounding that they are still unable to provide hard facts.

If Wilson was serious about 'wanting the best for the club and the local area' then he'd happily show face at these meetings.

As it is he obviously ran scared from disgruntled, elderly ladies leaving poor Roddy to try and present his half baked, frankly unrealistic, plans to the locals.

Good job he didn't try to insult them mind you. That would've ended in a punch up. These old women can be violent.

Well Done Moonster on attending and reporting back. Very much appreciated and I'm sure others will agree.

The only thing I'll disagree with in your recent posts is 'almost insulting' us. He downright did. In addition to his bumbling through the evening and failing to answer questions succinctly and skirting around issues when challenged.

I'm hopeful on one-hand that this is well and truly buried in time as there seems to be as time goes on, little realism and firm answers to any of the issues raised, but I too, have a very real fear as to what the next step or plan C, D or E as you say, would be.

Well Done Moonster on attending and reporting back. Very much appreciated and I'm sure others will agree.

The only thing I'll disagree with in your recent posts is 'almost insulting' us. He downright did. In addition to his bumbling through the evening and failing to answer questions succinctly and skirting around issues when challenged.

I'm hopeful on one-hand that this is well and truly buried in time as there seems to be as time goes on, little realism and firm answers to any of the issues raised, but I too, have a very real fear as to what the next step or plan C, D or E as you say, would be.

It was someone way cooler than Moonster that said he almost insulted us...

01dff74245cd4caf93aa9a7a4c66a85b.jpg

18 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'm living close to the Crosslet Centre at the moment and I was free so it was no problem for me to pop in and guage the reaction. There was a lot of passion there last night, albeit passions for different things than us. This move will piss off more folk than it pleases in the town, there's no doubt about that. 

And aye, as BBPF says, it was some other numpty who said he almost insulted us. I agree he did.

And aye, as BBPF says, it was some other numpty who said he almost insulted us. I agree he did.

:lol:

Well thanks anyway for being able and willing to feed back its content to us all.

It being opposed is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, certainly while there's still the blatant lack of substance to the plan or any firm facts and figures, but do we really think they'll be forced to shelve it or is it more realistic that it'll happen despite the opposition to it?