Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nothing I've said is unfair or untrue. We've signed a guy who managed 12 starts for the team who finished bottom of League 1.

If he reads Pie and Bovril then hell mend him.

He had a really nasty head injury during that time iirc. That's really all I know about him, but that might explain his irregular gametime. He was also behind a certain Oli Shaw...Who only made 16 starts.

Aye, I know, I'm scrabbling for positives. Hearts handed him a new deal recently though, so there's obviously something there.

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

@Francesc Fabregas what's the score with Roy? 

I didn't think too much of Ally Roy during his time at Stenhousemuir, I'm sorry to say, and I'm surprised to see he's being linked with a move to Dumbarton. He will work hard and show tremendous dig and endeavour but that's about it. I don't remember him as an outstanding technician or clever finisher, although he did score a neat goal in a 3-0 win at Queen's Park in December. He's not particularly tall or especially quick. I don't think I could recommend him.

A far better bet would be Oli Shaw - Shaw joined the Warriors on loan from Hibernian at the same time as Roy and, by the end of the season, was one of our best players. Shaw scored some very important goals over the latter part of the campaign and almost took us into the play-offs. I'd say he has a real chance of making a name for himself at Easter Road but might benefit from spending a season in Championship.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I didn't think too much of Ally Roy during his time at Stenhousemuir, I'm sorry to say, and I'm surprised to see he's being linked with a move to Dumbarton. He will work hard and show tremendous dig and endeavour but that's about it. I don't remember him as an outstanding technician or clever finisher, although he did score a neat goal in a 3-0 win at Queen's Park in December. He's not particularly tall or especially quick. I don't think I could recommend him.

A far better bet would be Oli Shaw - Shaw joined the Warriors on loan from Hibernian at the same time as Roy and, by the end of the season, was one of our best players. Shaw scored some very important goals over the latter part of the campaign and almost took us into the play-offs. I'd say he has a real chance of making a name for himself at Easter Road but might benefit from spending a season in Championship.

:( More than just a link I'm afraid

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3129

Funnily enough someone linked us with Shaw earlier today but we've signed Roy until January. He's back up for Mark Stewart and Nade just now but with their injury records he could quickly become a starter. Do you think he could play out wide? Possibly a reason for us signing him. Not being tall or strong or quick makes me think he'll struggle but we shall see.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Who the heck knows, maybe Stenhousemuir didn't use him to the best of his ability (he spent a lot of time on the bench after all) and he'll be a big hit at Dumbarton, but I didn't see anything in him to suggest he has what it takes, not in the Championship anyway.

Sounds great.

613066786b37685a6237f09826f7b57b.jpg

Who the heck knows, maybe Stenhousemuir didn't use him to the best of his ability (he spent a lot of time on the bench after all) and he'll be a big hit at Dumbarton, but I didn't see anything in him to suggest he has what it takes, not in the Championship anyway.

I'm clinging onto the hope that, that happens. You hear about players who do well in winning teams though, and if he couldn't influence a League 1 relegation battle, then I'm not sure he'll fare any better with a Championship fight.

If he's a hardworking type then that's one of the main things Stevie looks for. If he can work his backside off and get 4/5 goals and a couple of assists between now and January then he'd be classed a success. Unfortunately even that sort of return is looking unlikely based on his career so far.

Could it possibly be that we've signed this lad Roy to bulk numbers up for the diddy cups that we treat as pre-season? If he does well then happy days, if not then we may release him?
Did we not do this last year/year before with Darren miller etc?

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Could it possibly be that we've signed this lad Roy to bulk numbers up for the diddy cups that we treat as pre-season? If he does well then happy days, if not then we may release him?
Did we not do this last year/year before with Darren miller etc?

With the limited number of loans and loans being so important to a club like our I would say that is not going to be the case. We can't just release him either as all parties (both clubs and the player) have to agree before a loan agreement can just be cancelled.

Another note: that wasn't the reason we signed Darren Miller... He just turned out to be shite and an absolute knob.

We don't win cup games, and we very rarely beat Ayr. Lump yer house, the wife, the weans, the lot on Ayr.

Interesting that Sons have drifted to 6/5 against with Ayr in to 15/8.

Looks like bookies or punters are picking up on your injury problems tonight.