Sons' sorrow

Only one place to start tonight, and that's with Craig Charleston's performance. How long does this imposter have left in him? For as long as I can remember he's been ruining games with his seemingly deliberate mistakes. He's the sort of referee who creates problems for himself by failing to make consistent decisions. The sooner he's punted/retires the better.

Today we saw him at his peak. The Nade red card appears to be ridiculous. I can only judge it by Durrant and Stevie's reactions, and they were both absolutely seething. If he sent Nade off for swearing at the linesman then that's fine, but I expect him to do it any time somewhere swears at an official...something he failed to do. 

Owen Moxen's second yellow was the correct decision, but his first is one that I'd be seething about if I was a Galabankie. He kicked the ball away, fine, a yellow card offence, yet minutes later Mark Stewart (I think) did the same for us, and got away with it. Again inconsistencies. Again causing issues for himself.

The first indirect free-kick was clear guesswork. He awarded what he thought he'd seen, not what he'd actually seen. Should Gallacher have just punted it into the stand? Yes. Does that excuse Charleston's decision? Absolutely not. The second one he got right, so fair play to him, a stopped clock and all that.

I hate ranting about officials though. It's used far too often as deflection from the real issues, and we had them tonight.

Once Nade was off we had nothing up front. We persisted on playing long balls to Stewart and then Roy, but that was never going to work, with Raffi Krissian in particular having an excellent game. We badly need at least one other targetman type striker and, having not signed Jordan Allan and let Flembot go, I'm still vaguely hopeful Stevie has something lined up.

I mentioned it earlier, but Stewart is already driving me up the wall. He seems unsubbable too. I'd have taken him off before Johnston who was doing his usual, looking creative and dangerous when he had the ball, but not get as involved as you'd like. He looks better now than he did when he came in though, so that's something.

Roy was a bright spot out wide. He was direct, confident and not afraid to try things. He was unlucky a few times, and looks very quick.

In the middle Hutton actually had a good game. He's ungainly looking, he never looks to be in control of the ball, and he can only use his right foot, but he made a few smashing challenges, is strong, powerful and was far more disciplined than he was on Saturday positionally. Along side him Wilson was anonymous. He seems to do two or three great things, then make a basic mistake and lose the ball. Not his night tonight.

The back four were fine. Dowie and Mango look like a good combination, David Smith was ok, but hasn't been fantastic thus far, and Boomer had a good game. He still gets caught in behind a bit, but he won plenty in the air, was strong in the challenge and whipped in some nice deliveries. His penalty was awful mind you!

In goals Scott Gallacher had very little to do. He made mess of the backpass from the free-kick, but more than atoned for it with a wonderful save. Aside from that he made a couple of decent one-on-one stops, but that was it. 

Plenty of work to do ahead of the league starting, however there were positives tonight. It would've been very interesting to see how things would've gone if it was 11 v 11. If I didn't need to tick Rugby Park off my list there wouldn't be a chance I'd be there on Saturday. I doubt we'll see any squad movements this week, but I'd like us to have at least one targetman type striker signed up by the Morton game.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Will any ban apply to league games if he's sent off in the League Cup?

They don't usually apply to other competitions unless the card is for violent conduct. Our keeper being penalised twice in one game for picking up a pass back is already the stupidest thing we are likely to see all season The second one especially was mind boggling stupidity

The second backpass was up there with the most ridiculous things I've seen on a pitch. I don't think I've said the word "what" so many times in a 60 second period. He could see Smith lying there injured, played the free kick then signalled to our player (not sure who) that Smith was down, player then passes it back to Gallacher who then picks it up. Genuine pub league comedy.

55 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nade said he called the linesman an idiot :lol:

You can't help but love him.

Thoughts and prayers with the linesman at this tough time. I hope he makes a full recovery.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Capture.PNG

Was that the year we won the Lloret De Mar cup?

Something happened to the referee in the game, Davie Wilson took over as ref and we won 5-0. Seems bizarre now to think that a manager could take over from a referee.

1 hour ago, Sons FC said:

Was that the year we won the Lloret De Mar cup?

Something happened to the referee in the game, Davie Wilson took over as ref and we won 5-0. Seems bizarre now to think that a manager could take over from a referee.

Stuart MacIver on FB saying it was just a training/bonding session.

13 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Only one place to start tonight, and that's with Craig Charleston's performance. How long does this imposter have left in him? For as long as I can remember he's been ruining games with his seemingly deliberate mistakes. He's the sort of referee who creates problems for himself by failing to make consistent decisions. The sooner he's punted/retires the better.

Today we saw him at his peak. The Nade red card appears to be ridiculous. I can only judge it by Durrant and Stevie's reactions, and they were both absolutely seething. If he sent Nade off for swearing at the linesman then that's fine, but I expect him to do it any time somewhere swears at an official...something he failed to do. 

Owen Moxen's second yellow was the correct decision, but his first is one that I'd be seething about if I was a Galabankie. He kicked the ball away, fine, a yellow card offence, yet minutes later Mark Stewart (I think) did the same for us, and got away with it. Again inconsistencies. Again causing issues for himself.

The first indirect free-kick was clear guesswork. He awarded what he thought he'd seen, not what he'd actually seen. Should Gallacher have just punted it into the stand? Yes. Does that excuse Charleston's decision? Absolutely not. The second one he got right, so fair play to him, a stopped clock and all that.

I hate ranting about officials though. It's used far too often as deflection from the real issues, and we had them tonight.

Once Nade was off we had nothing up front. We persisted on playing long balls to Stewart and then Roy, but that was never going to work, with Raffi Krissian in particular having an excellent game. We badly need at least one other targetman type striker and, having not signed Jordan Allan and let Flembot go, I'm still vaguely hopeful Stevie has something lined up.

I mentioned it earlier, but Stewart is already driving me up the wall. He seems unsubbable too. I'd have taken him off before Johnston who was doing his usual, looking creative and dangerous when he had the ball, but not get as involved as you'd like. He looks better now than he did when he came in though, so that's something.

Roy was a bright spot out wide. He was direct, confident and not afraid to try things. He was unlucky a few times, and looks very quick.

In the middle Hutton actually had a good game. He's ungainly looking, he never looks to be in control of the ball, and he can only use his right foot, but he made a few smashing challenges, is strong, powerful and was far more disciplined than he was on Saturday positionally. Along side him Wilson was anonymous. He seems to do two or three great things, then make a basic mistake and lose the ball. Not his night tonight.

The back four were fine. Dowie and Mango look like a good combination, David Smith was ok, but hasn't been fantastic thus far, and Boomer had a good game. He still gets caught in behind a bit, but he won plenty in the air, was strong in the challenge and whipped in some nice deliveries. His penalty was awful mind you!

In goals Scott Gallacher had very little to do. He made mess of the backpass from the free-kick, but more than atoned for it with a wonderful save. Aside from that he made a couple of decent one-on-one stops, but that was it. 

Plenty of work to do ahead of the league starting, however there were positives tonight. It would've been very interesting to see how things would've gone if it was 11 v 11. If I didn't need to tick Rugby Park off my list there wouldn't be a chance I'd be there on Saturday. I doubt we'll see any squad movements this week, but I'd like us to have at least one targetman type striker signed up by the Morton game.

I truly admire your willpower in trying to temper current events with cold reason So8.  I simply can't muster the effort right now, perhaps I know too much :(

43 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I truly admire your willpower in trying to temper current events with cold reason So8.  I simply can't muster the effort right now, perhaps I know too much :(

Never really saw you as James Stewart OKIII but there you go