Sons' sorrow

43 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

Mark Kerr would be a great signing for Dumbarton, Sign him up Sign him up ;);)

Not really a position we're in need of and he appears to be fairly done. I also doubt we have any cash left and if we do I'd rather we didn't give it Mark Kerr.

Not really a position we're in need of and he appears to be fairly done. I also doubt we have any cash left and if we do I'd rather we didn't give it Mark Kerr.

Excellent player, maybe would fit in, but with Barr, Hutton and carswell, he’s not needed, prefer an attack minded goal grabber aggy type

Excellent player, maybe would fit in, but with Barr, Hutton and carswell, he’s not needed, prefer an attack minded goal grabber aggy type

Given that we play with 2 defensive minded midfielders and 1 off the striker I'm not sure we need anyone for that position. We have Froxy, Walsh, Handling, Stewart and I'd imagine even Beany could cover in the CAM/CF role. Stevie also seems to think Wilson is suited for that role (he isn't IMO).

Depending on where Stevie plans to deploy Russell I think we could be doing with a wide player or another striker. I'm not convinced that will happen unless we ship at least 2 out.

That's Kyle Hutton's extended deal confirmed - Clicky

Edit: Good interview with Durrant up too, though this bit worried me: "We only had three outfield players on the bench and one of them, Danny Handling, is struggling with his knee."

Not again.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

That's Kyle Hutton's extended deal confirmed - Clicky
Edit: Good interview with Durrant up too, though this bit worried me: "We only had three outfield players on the bench and one of them, Danny Handling, is struggling with his knee."
Not again.

Is he signed permanently with us, Handling?

If so, presuming his deal is until the summer, he could go down as one of our biggest wasted signings of recent times.

He's starting to make Darren Anderson's fitness record look enviable.

10 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

If so, presuming his deal is until the summer, he could go down as one of our biggest wasted signings of recent times.

He is, aye. When you look at Handling's recent career statistics it probably shouldn't be a shock. He's barely kicked a ball since about 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Handling 

Kerr is probably the type of midfielder we need. We don't really have anybody who can take control of the ball, look up and make an incisive pass that opens up an attacking opportunity.

Not saying that I'd have taken Kerr specifically, but we lack that deep playmaker who can turn defending into attacking with a decent forward ball.

He is, aye. When you look at Handling's recent career statistics it probably shouldn't be a shock. He's barely kicked a ball since about 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Handling 

Grant gallagher hardly kicked a ball all last season for us, was it 1 competitive game? Yet he was still offered a contract this year. This year he's done even less and i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him play again. I know we can't legislate for unfortunate injuries and i feel real sorry for the guy, but this year's signing of him surely goes down as one of the most wasted signings. Why waste money on his wages when he proved nothing last year?

The transfer window has been slightly disappointing so far. Stevie seems to pull a few gems out the hat in January but I think we all agree were still waiting. (Yes beanie is a legend but is he the answer) paying wages to continually injured players I assume is costing Stevie the option to bring in others.

Just now, pleslie99 said:

Grant gallagher hardly kicked a ball all last season for us, was it 1 competitive game? Yet he was still offered a contract this year. This year he's done even less and i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him play again. I know we can't legislate for unfortunate injuries and i feel real sorry for the guy, but this year's signing of him surely goes down as one of the most wasted signings. Why waste money on his wages when he proved nothing last year?

Grant Gal missed a few games early last season due to suspension, but aye, since the end of Stevie's first season he's played nine games. It's a nightmare for him, but as you say we really can't afford to have guys like him and Handling on the books and not playing (as horrendously selfish as that sounds).

I believe both Grant's injuries were unrelated, but even then if I was Stevie I'd maybe have asked him to get back up to fitness before firing a new deal his way. I'd like to think that his contract might've been incentive based - eg a low basic wage, topped up by appearance fees. I'd doubt Handling's is though - and I doubt he's on pennies, which means he's going to have to do something pretty special to be seen as anything other than a disaster.

As So8 posted, that's a good interview with Ian Durrant on the DFC site. Very positive, you can see why him & Stevie are decent at reinvigorating players like Walsh, Carswell, Hutton etc. Hopefully Calum Gallacher has also turned a corner now too after his brace up at Peterhead.

Grant Gal missed a few games early last season due to suspension, but aye, since the end of Stevie's first season he's played nine games. It's a nightmare for him, but as you say we really can't afford to have guys like him and Handling on the books and not playing (as horrendously selfish as that sounds).
I believe both Grant's injuries were unrelated, but even then if I was Stevie I'd maybe have asked him to get back up to fitness before firing a new deal his way. I'd like to think that his contract might've been incentive based - eg a low basic wage, topped up by appearance fees. I'd doubt Handling's is though - and I doubt he's on pennies, which means he's going to have to do something pretty special to be seen as anything other than a disaster.
I agree, its not selfish but realistic. we all mentioned it at the start of the season, we signed load of guys with good pedigree but pretty grim injury records. We all worried that this situation would come around when the inevitable injuries hit and we would struggle to name a full squad. When all our players are fit, as weve shown, we are a match for anyone. Unfortunately this was never going to happen often.

Can anyone tell me when a player scores two goals for a club midweek , they get dropped for the next game , disgrace  nisbet should have been a sub ,but heh ho now look at our league position.

The manager tried a new system, a 352, which meant we didn't play with wide players other than the wing backs. Not that Callum Gallagher would've made any sort of difference to the outcome.

There's no point in continuing with the same failures week in week out when we have different options now.