Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

There are a few Sons games on YouTube, can't think offhand of the exact name of the channel.

Worth a search 👍

The full 2007 Scottish Cup match against Celtic is on YouTube for any masochists.

Game starts around 9 mins in.

Edited by FifeSons

12 minutes ago, microdave said:

This yt user has a fair few games. https://youtube.com/user/Ceolbeg

Who's the Magennis guy in goal for the Pollok game? I don't remember him at all and there's no record of him of Sons Archive. I'm guessing he was a trialist?

He had an absolute shocker. At fault for all 3 goals.

Edited by FifeSons

On 23/01/2021 at 13:21, BallochSonsFan said:

There's a huge risk that fans drift away from football. I'm finding it really difficult to maintain enthusiasm this year. I've loved watching the NFL and I'm really enjoying getting back into NHL hockey when I can watch online at a time that suits. The stop/start nature of the league this year and our abject performances has done nothing to keep my love of football going.

What happens if too many people find other ways to spend a Saturday afternoon or other ways to spend their money?

I totally agree on this season being a bit of a waste of time. With no support, a bang average side and games being called off every second week it's been hard to get into. And I say that as someone who has been fortunate enough to get into matches.

What I will say though is that I couldn't be any more excited for our first proper game back. Whenever that may be. In fact it borderline makes me emotional thinking of what it will be like to be back in a busy Rock, seeing the guys I sit with, hearing the noise of a crowd again and complaining about the pre-match music being too loud. For me I think it'll have a lot of the buzz I got going to games when I was wee and everything was new and exciting, certainly for a while at least.

Of course the lockdown and people being knocked out of their usual Saturday routine might have an impact on attendances. But it could also give them a boost. After a year locked up in the house with little to do, maybe more Sons fans who drifted away might come back...Maybe other locals fed up of watching football on TV might take a trip to the Rock for a live game and catch the bug (Sons, not Covid...).

In my head I've dreamt up the best case scenario. Chances are that it won't be possible and strict measures will still be in place, but if (somehow) they aren't, I'd love to see our first game back offer reduced entry prices with the aim of selling out as many tickets as we are allowed to sell/aiming to pack out the Rock. If that means £5 £3 entry prices for a friendly or Betfred game, then so be it. Drag people along and give the fans a thank you for sticking with us.

God I miss normal Saturdays.

Bit more shameless self-promotion to boost my online figures.

Adam Frizzell on how tough the last year has been for him. A nightmare injury, being released by Killie, struggling to adapt to part-time football and now not knowing where he's heading in life with the season suspended and his hopes of getting back full-time taking a hit as a result.

Clicky

8 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I totally agree on this season being a bit of a waste of time. With no support, a bang average side and games being called off every second week it's been hard to get into. And I say that as someone who has been fortunate enough to get into matches.

What I will say though is that I couldn't be any more excited for our first proper game back. Whenever that may be. In fact it borderline makes me emotional thinking of what it will be like to be back in a busy Rock, seeing the guys I sit with, hearing the noise of a crowd again and complaining about the pre-match music being too loud. For me I think it'll have a lot of the buzz I got going to games when I was wee and everything was new and exciting, certainly for a while at least.

Of course the lockdown and people being knocked out of their usual Saturday routine might have an impact on attendances. But it could also give them a boost. After a year locked up in the house with little to do, maybe more Sons fans who drifted away might come back...Maybe other locals fed up of watching football on TV might take a trip to the Rock for a live game and catch the bug (Sons, not Covid...).

In my head I've dreamt up the best case scenario. Chances are that it won't be possible and strict measures will still be in place, but if (somehow) they aren't, I'd love to see our first game back offer reduced entry prices with the aim of selling out as many tickets as we are allowed to sell/aiming to pack out the Rock. If that means £5 £3 entry prices for a friendly or Betfred game, then so be it. Drag people along and give the fans a thank you for sticking with us.

God I miss normal Saturdays.

The ideal scenario for me is that this season gets binned - nae relegation, nae promotion, nae playoffs. We shake Duffy’s hand, tell him thanks very much and he sails off into the sunset to talk shite on Clyde 1 every night whilst we start the hunt for a new gaffer - preferebly a guy looking to move forward rather than a guy who’s just kinda seeing out his days before he retires. We can look forward to a fresh start at the end of the summer with a new squad, a new, ambitious manager at the helm and plenty of fans in the stands.

I’m actually pretty gutted that all the clubs are coming together to kick start things for March - my interest is at all time low partly due to finding watching us a complete chore amongst other things.  

59 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The ideal scenario for me is that this season gets binned - nae relegation, nae promotion, nae playoffs. We shake Duffy’s hand, tell him thanks very much and he sails off into the sunset to talk shite on Clyde 1 every night whilst we start the hunt for a new gaffer - preferebly a guy looking to move forward rather than a guy who’s just kinda seeing out his days before he retires. We can look forward to a fresh start at the end of the summer with a new squad, a new, ambitious manager at the helm and plenty of fans in the stands.

I’m actually pretty gutted that all the clubs are coming together to kick start things for March - my interest is at all time low partly due to finding watching us a complete chore amongst other things.  

That would mean no football for a very long time, though. I’m not sure I could handle that.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The best-case scenario for Sons fans is that this season gets binned - nae relegation, nae promotion, nae playoffs. We shake Duffy’s hand, tell him thanks very much and he sails off into the sunset to talk shite on Clyde 1 every night whilst we start the hunt for a new gaffer - preferebly a guy looking to move forward rather than a guy who’s just kinda seeing out his days before he retires. We can look forward to a fresh start at the end of the summer with a new squad, a new, ambitious manager at the helm and plenty of fans in the stands.

FTFY

13 hours ago, FifeSons said:

That would mean no football for a very long time, though. I’m not sure I could handle that.

To be fair, it’s been a long time since we witnessed a Sons team playing what could be referred to as football. I’m totally fine with not watching us again until next August, especially via stream.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To be fair, it’s been a long time since we witnessed a Sons team playing what could be referred to as football. I’m totally fine with not watching us again until next August, especially via stream.

Feels like we've been on a slow downward spiral since the Challenge Cup final.

10 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Feels like we've been on a slow downward spiral since the Challenge Cup final.

To be fair things briefly picked up between February and May in Duffy's first season. We played some smashing stuff about that time and scored plenty of goals. Just a shame we lost near enough that entire squad over the summer and replaced them with a lot of guys who just weren't up to it.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

To be fair things briefly picked up between February and May in Duffy's first season. We played some smashing stuff about that time and scored plenty of goals. Just a shame we lost near enough that entire squad over the summer and replaced them with a lot of guys who just weren't up to it.

Funnily enough, the vast majority of those of players were inherited by Duffy. The squads he’s put together since have been fairly horrible. 

Director of football required IMO.

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Funnily enough, the vast majority of those of players were inherited by Duffy. The squads he’s put together since have been fairly horrible. 

Director of football required IMO.

If we could just blend a manager out of Aitken's ability to sign good players and Duffy's ability to get them motivated and working together then we'd be onto a winner.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Can you imagine Duffy ever making a signing like Dom Thomas? Aitken lost the plot no doubt, and his approach to squad building gave us headaches we could've done without, but when the chance presented itself to get a quality player in he went for it. Same with Lewis Vaughan - if you think back to the time we got Vaughan, we weren't really crying out for that type of player but Aitken knew he was a game changer. That said, Aitken did sign some amount of shite as well.

Duffy's happy signing up wee worker ant type players but we've been massively short on quality since Dom left. I understand it's unrealistic to expect us to sign guys like that every year, but you need quality somewhere in the team if you want a top 4 finish (which we apparently are aiming for).

Definitely, and the crazy thing is, it wasn't even that long ago. Feels like a lifetime, though.
Feels like ten years ago. But I yearn for the days we were playing in the Championship more than I like. Going to the pub (remember them?) and it being full of opposition fans all having a beer before the game. Fixtures like Dundee United, Dunfermline, St Mirren etc week after week. My daughter moved to Alloa last year and to get to her house, I have to drive past the Indodrill. Every time I go past, I have a wistful shake of my head even though I bear them no ill will. If only Liam Burt had taken the ball into the corner.

Can you imagine Duffy ever making a signing like Dom Thomas? Aitken lost the plot no doubt, and his approach to squad building gave us headaches we could've done without, but when the chance presented itself to get a quality player in he went for it. Same with Lewis Vaughan - if you think back to the time we got Vaughan, we weren't really crying out for that type of player but Aitken knew he was a game changer. That said, Aitken did sign some amount of shite as well.
Duffy's happy signing up wee worker ant type players but we've been massively short on quality since Dom left. I understand it's unrealistic to expect us to sign guys like that every year, but you need quality somewhere in the team if you want a top 4 finish (which we apparently are aiming for).
Whilst I generally agree with this we can't overlook Aitken's malevolence towards the club on his departure. One of the biggest disappointments about this season is Jim Duffy seemingly trying to recreate history with Forbes, McLuskey and Johnstone - that was then at Morton and this is now at Dumbarton, and it's painful. He has in fairness added one player of quality in Wedderburn and taken a punt on Wilson whilst being bizarrely reticent to give him a run in the team. With Dabrowski now back at Hibs the squad looks very threadbare indeed. Worrying.