Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Your argument is that I should take a figurative stance on what is 'illegal' ? The difference could easily be contrasted by Queen of the South last year:

It was very illegal to let George Galloway and family to spectate at the height of tier 4 restrictions. This was signed into law.

While it was against the SPFL rules,  not allowing access for the club's website and forbidding visiting clubs to film in last year's championship, it was certainly not "illegal."

Hope this helps illustrate. 

It's never a good sign for the argument you are trying to make when you are reduced to "but.... but..... but George Galloway". Which incidentally wasn't illegal anyway.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There really isn't. I don't think Moonster or anyone else was suggesting Dumbarton would end up in Court over it. Your literal response to "illegal" is needless. It's not allowed. Period. That others may be tacitly encouraging it doesn't make it right. What you are suggesting is the equivalent of saying it's fine to speed on the roads as long as there are no speed cameras, the police haven't put a patrol car there and others are doing it.

Not sure I agree. I guess it depends how much you feel lower league clubs might be handicapped in attracting fans by the ability of floating fans to stream Rangers and Celtic games (and other bigger sides) rather than attend their local club. Scotland's not that big a country and the vast majority of clubs (outwith the Highlands,, Aberdeenshire and a couple of clubs like us in the South) are within an hour's drive of one another. Domestically, if people are interested in 90% of Dumbarton's games then they can go. Unless they are watching AT work or genuinely housebound then streaming's not adding much. You need to remember there's a downside as well as an upside. For every fan who might stream a game they otherwise wouldn't go to you have to factor in the ones who might have gone but won't because they can stream Dundee United v Rangers instead.

And frankly football needs fans at matches. It shouldn't be moving towards empty stadia and a watching tv audience. That diminishes the atmosphere and ultimately the product for both those attending and those playing. Different if grounds are packed out anyway but that's not the case outside two obvious clubs. Streaming is an encouragement not to attend matches. It's handy and, due to my domestic circumstances in the last couple of years taking me from a "go every week" fan to one that can only attend 1 in every 2 away games roughly, I've made good use of it. But as much as it may benefit me at the moment I'm far from convinced it's a good thing for Scottish football to encourage longer term.

I agree with you on your point about streaming. Smaller clubs will only lose out if stereaming of all matches at 3.00pm is allowed.

Don't agree with your comment about vpn's though. Your speeding analogy just doesn't work. If you speed you are breaking the law. If you use a vpn you aren't breaking any laws.

13 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I agree with you on your point about streaming. Smaller clubs will only lose out if stereaming of all matches at 3.00pm is allowed.

Don't agree with your comment about vpn's though. Your speeding analogy just doesn't work. If you speed you are breaking the law. If you use a vpn you aren't breaking any laws.

laws / rules. Again like Leo getting hung up on whether or not something is illegal. It's not allowed. Clubs shouldn't be promoting it to try to get around rules for their own benefit and if Rangers and Hibs are doing that they should be pulled up for it, not credited for their ingenuity and emulated.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's never a good sign for the argument you are trying to make when you are reduced to "but.... but..... but George Galloway". Which incidentally wasn't illegal anyway.

It was, however, were much in breach of the very precise Covid regulations as laid down by the SFA's Joint Response Group at the time. 

Whether actually illegal or not it was still an incredibly crass thing to do. 

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

laws / rules. Again like Leo getting hung up on whether or not something is illegal. It's not allowed. Clubs shouldn't be promoting it to try to get around rules for their own benefit and if Rangers and Hibs are doing that they should be pulled up for it, not credited for their ingenuity and emulated.

Couldn't agree more with the bold part.

59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Good that you found the 'it was a work event' loophole before it became cliché.

Which leads me on to my next point that what Rangers and Hibernian are doing is a completely valid loophole. Fair play to them for monetising. 

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Good that you found the 'it was a work event' loophole before it became cliché.

Which leads me on to my next point that what Rangers and Hibernian are doing is a completely valid loophole. Fair play to them for monetising. 

Even if its to the detriment of your own club?

4 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Even if its to the detriment of your own club?

I think the ground is moving under everyone's feet whether or not you want it to. I seem to often draw Skyline in because we're at complete opposite ends of the spectrum on this. 

It's no use running a football club like it's still 1980 and after a widespread adoption of streaming technology, the genie won't go back in the box after COVID becomes endemic.

Personally I like the challenge. This is all new and needs innovation.

22 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I think the ground is moving under everyone's feet whether or not you want it to. I seem to often draw Skyline in because we're at complete opposite ends of the spectrum on this. 

It's no use running a football club like it's still 1980 and after a widespread adoption of streaming technology, the genie won't go back in the box after COVID becomes endemic.

Personally I like the challenge. This is all new and needs innovation.

Very much this. The pandemic has been shite but some of the things it has forced clubs to introduce massively suits me - streaming, paying for tickets online, being able to pay by card etc. 

I don’t know if it’s a nostalgia thing but there seems to be a desire from a lot of football fans to keep things ‘old fashioned’ or as they are. Clubs need to embrace technology and look forward.

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Very much this. The pandemic has been shite but some of the things it has forced clubs to introduce massively suits me - streaming, paying for tickets online, being able to pay by card etc. 

I don’t know if it’s a nostalgia thing but there seems to be a desire from a lot of football fans to keep things ‘old fashioned’ or as they are. Clubs need to embrace technology and look forward.

I don't mind being given the opportunity to buy a ticket in advance but not being able to pay at the ground pisses me off a bit

42 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I don't mind being given the opportunity to buy a ticket in advance but not being able to pay at the ground pisses me off a bit

Like quite a few, I don't live in the area. 

Yes it's my own fault for not phoning up and ordering one but I'm a typical lazy sod plus working during week. I'd have gone tmw but the need for ticket means I probably won't......even though there will likely be little over 1,000 in the ground. 

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

Yes it's my own fault for not phoning up and ordering one but I'm a typical lazy sod plus working during week. I'd have gone tmw but the need for ticket means I probably won't......even though there will likely be little over 1,000 in the ground. 

The club have just tweeted that tickets are onsale tomorrow from 10am until kick off.

8 minutes ago, PWL said:

You can buy a ticket at the ground right up until kick-off time tomorrow. Just announced on the web site.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

For me it should never be technology for the sake of it. Technology should only ever be adopted if it's genuinely going to benefit people.

Take paying for entry to a game for example. If I know in advance that I can make an away game then I'll potentially by an e-ticket. I don't want to have to register with a load of different clubs, download a lot of different apps onto my phone just so that I can go to an away game now and again. If teams want to adopt e-ticketing then there should be a requirement to use services like the google pay ticket wallet. 1 app that could handle all e-tickets. There's a balance to be found between technology for the sake of it and technology that actually benefits fans. A lot of older fans will be excluded by a greater use of technology by football clubs. Thats of massive problem for a lot of lower league clubs where you typically have a lot of older fans. 

Streaming? It'll never replace match going because going to a game of football is more than just watching the game itself. There's the social element of football that you can't replicate via webcasting. But if the choice for fans is watching a stream at home or not going to a game at all then at least streaming puts money into club finances. When my place starts Saturday working, I'll miss games unless I can work from home on those Saturdays and stream via my personal computer. Folk with commitments on a Saturday morning? Might not have time to do everything and still make the game, but they could stream. Even just not wanting to travel in terrible weather. For clubs in Scotland its a potential boon for away fans. Clearly I'd still prefer to travel to an away game, but if I can't get to a game because of other commitments but I still want to watch it then the home team still gets my money. Thats a problem for folk who organise supporters buses, but unless I was doing an overnighter or we were doing particularly well in the league, the reality is that I'd struggle to justify Peterhead or Cove away. Or somewhere like Elgin. I'd probably only do the likes of the Angus teams or East Fife in the winter if I could double it up with an away game at the hockey.

33 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The club have just tweeted that tickets are onsale tomorrow from 10am until kick off.

I bought mine at lunchtime and there looked to be quite a few available. Also space for the radio scotland broadcast if anybody was up for it.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Believe he's a centre half. Which makes me wonder if Bronksy isn't signing. 

Faz said last week that he hoped to tie off a deal for Bronsky, and that we'd be having a Premiership loanee as well. So I'd imagine his deal will still be on.

With McGeever not looking like being back anytime soon we really need more than just Buchanan and this guy as our natural options in there imo.