Sons' sorrow

I don't really know what to think of Brindley as he was played in so many roles I've no idea what sort of player he actually is. No idea how he has done at Forfar. 
He only played left back for us. He was OK but definitely not a full back as wasn't the best positionally. Got forward well and popped up with a couple of assists, including our last goal of the season v Annan, supplying old Sons "favourite" Stef McCluskey. Irvine seemed to like him so imagine he's approached him.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Faz saying we've agreed a deal for another player with experience. Starting to think this squad is looking a bit on the old side, I think only Lynch and Wilson are our only two players under 25? I'd like to see some younger guys with a bit of pace and energy added because we literally have no pace in the side right now. 

Someone like Derek Lyle incoming? or Robert Jones 🙄 I wouldn't consider mid-late 20s as a good age but Faz might... 

Master stroke from our mate faz. Getting us relegated just so we can create history by qualifying from the cup group whilst in the fourth tier. 

I wish I knew how he thinks 
I rolled my eyes when I read that. We didn't even get close to getting through the group stage as a championship club. What chance do we have as a l2 club.

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

If it’s Bobby Jones or Derek Lyle, Farrell needs sectioned.

Lyle's retired now, so it won't be him. And Faz released Bobby Jones last year (having also let him go from Stranraer), so I can't see it being him either. 

If we're looking at reading a lot into his words: "a good range of passing and physique. He is exactly what we are looking for in a key area of the pitch" to me sounds like a central midfielder. But it could also be a full-back/centre-half. Given we don't need another CB, and given it isn't often that you hear a manager talking about the passing range of a full-back, then I'd definitely plump for the myserty man being a CM though. We've also (currently) only got Carsy, McKee and D.Wilson signed up as CMs, so it's obviously an area he'll be keen to bolster. Especially if he doesn't fancy McKee much, which seemed to be the case last season.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

if he doesn't fancy McKee much, which seemed to be the case last season.

Didn’t McKee have covid (possibly more than once?) which might have contributed to his lack of playing time?

I’d like to see him starting next season. He’ll be on a decent wage, and the Sir Alex Ferguson quote about Charlie Adam’s set pieces springs to mind.

I can only see a scenario in which Farrell is sacked if we have the kind of start we did under Aitken in L1. We’d have to be 9th/10th after the first quarter, I reckon.

Any title chat will have disappeared by that point. He’ll probably be close enough to the playoffs to justify keeping his job and we’ll be stuck with him all season, ultimately finishing 5th or 6th.

If you're wanting to reminisce about better times then I had a big chat with none other than Alan Adamson last week. It's a two page feature in tomorrow's Lennox and, if I do say so myself, it's a really interesting insight into the glory days of Bryan Prunty, Scott Agnew and Jim Lister. I think he quite enjoyed speaking about his time at DFC, and I certainly enjoyed telling him how much I enjoyed watching us win those playoffs.

It'll be up online later in the week too for those of you who are far away and have the patience to use the Record's website...

On 28/05/2022 at 11:43, The Moonster said:

Faz saying we've agreed a deal for another player with experience. Starting to think this squad is looking a bit on the old side, I think only Lynch and Wilson are our only two players under 25? I'd like to see some younger guys with a bit of pace and energy added because we literally have no pace in the side right now. 

It’s giving me the fear a bit that’s he’s not learned any lessons from his old man approach last season. The majority of the older “winners” he signed last season were absolutely ganting. 

A lot of the younger guys he signed just had absolutely zero experience whatsoever. Wilson, Muir, Lynch etc had barely kicked a ball as a first team player at league level. There seemed to be a lack of younger guys with a season or two under their belt who were looking to take their career on an upward trajectory.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If you're wanting to reminisce about better times then I had a big chat with none other than Alan Adamson last week. It's a two page feature in tomorrow's Lennox and, if I do say so myself, it's a really interesting insight into the glory days of Bryan Prunty, Scott Agnew and Jim Lister. I think he quite enjoyed speaking about his time at DFC, and I certainly enjoyed telling him how much I enjoyed watching us win those playoffs.

It'll be up online later in the week too for those of you who are far away and have the patience to use the Record's website...

It was a shame he ended up being a victim of his own success. It was absolutely the correct decision to sack him but he was the man that guided us to the second tier and also signed players that were colossal for us in the championship like Andy Graham, Chris Turner and Garry Fleming.

Just now, microdave said:

It was a shame he ended up being a victim of his own success. It was absolutely the correct decision to sack him but he was the man that guided us to the second tier and also signed players that were colossal for us in the championship like Andy Graham, Chris Turner and Garry Fleming.

Funnily enough victim of his own success is a line that plays a big role in that article.

I genuinely think he's one of the best managers we've had in terms of recruitment. His first signing was Pat Walker - and what a masterstroke that proved! He had a superb eye for a player when you look at his signings; Prunts, Aggy, Kevin Nicol, Alan Lithgow, Jamie Ewings, Craig Dargo, Jim Lister, Chris Turner, Andy Graham and Garry of course.

He was also the manager who brought through the likes of Nicky Devlin and Tony Wallace, he played McNiff regularly for the first time and got Jon McShane firing in a way nobody really has since. He also had no fear playing 16-year-old (or was he 17 by that point, I forget?) Ryan Finnie in the playoff final. Who looked like a future Scotland star at the time.

Even one of his biggest flops is now a Premiership regular - Jordan White.

He was probably out of his depth in the Championship. But he left a major legacy at DFC - and he wasn't scared to give young players a chance which, given we were in a relegation battle when he came in, was commendable.