Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Great to see Love end the week on a high after all the horrible stuff. Also, very impressive from Stevie Farrell to come back from the position he was in to get to where he is now. Obviously nothing won yet, but he definitely deserves credit and I'm very happy to give it.  I'm still wary after how good a start we made last season - though this is clearly miles better.

This season's squad looks hungrier and are playing better together than last season.

Long is probably the best keeper in the division. It helps that he has a solid defence in front of him. Lynas has been very effective at right back and whilst McNiff doesnt give us much going forward, he knows how to defend at left back. Central defence? 2 players in Buchanan and Carswell who are night and day different from last season. Buchanan is strolling it and Carswell yesterday worked his balls off. Ryan Blair has been quietly effective in midfield. Joe McKee is showing far more than he did last year. Finlay Gray looks like the best young player in the division and if he can avoid the collapse in form we saw from Callum Wilson then we've got an absolute gem there. Love is contributing. Byrne has been an unexpected  success with the way he leads the line. I'd have given pass marks to Kalvin Orsi so far, but yesterday was a poor showing from him. He was constantly playing himself into trouble or making passes to teammates that put them into trouble.

Big problem is depth. Wylde might be ok in an emergency, but you wouldn't want to  have to rely on him. The other defenders in the squad - McGeever isnt going to regain sharpness playing a few minutes here and there, but we cant really risk splitting Buchanan and Carswell right now. Wilson never really looks comfortable with his own 2 feet and whilst he'll do in a push, he isnt as effective as Ryan Blair. McLean needs to be far more focused and once he's back from injury then we really need to see a change in attitude. Spends far too much time playing the ref and winding up opponents than actually playing the game. Ryan Wallace doesnt look capable of having an impact right now - he's miles off where he needs to be. Callum Wilson just looks short of conditioning and lacking the attitude he had early last season. His decline from about November on last year was shocking (much like the whole team)

The difference in the squad togetherness and the  vast improvements from key players should see us alright but there is always a risk that a few injuries and the guys coming in are nowhere near good enough or sharp enough to contribute to the level needed. But how do you give guys meaningful game time when the team as it stands is settled and doing very well? First half yesterday was unacceptable. 2nd have was a significant improvement and we kept the run going. Last season's team wouldn't have come back from going a goal down and the way we lost it would have been stuck in their head all game, probably seeing us ship another couple. Although the 2 sides we've given up leads against  are 2 of the perceived weaker teams in the division, its very encouraging that we  came back to win both games. its been a few seasons since we've looked capable of doing that.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see our old pal who was “the brains behind Ian Murray’s success” is doing a sterling job at the minute. If only he could appoint himself as assistant as well.

His old assistant John Potter isn’t with him at Dundee Utd. Clearly the brains behind Jack Ross’ success. I heard he waves at the fans every week as well 👀

6 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

His old assistant John Potter isn’t with him at Dundee Utd. Clearly the brains behind Jack Ross’ success. I heard he waves at the fans every week as well 👀

Still the most weird/uncomfortable question I've ever seen anyone asked. And I still semi regularly refer to it as a reference to anything odd or awkward.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

The benefit of having a competent goalkeeper, after years of mediocre pish, cannot be overstated. Just breathes confidence throughout the team. It’s startling that we managed to bring him in on a 2yr gig. 

I had been wondering what had caused such a change in performances in Buchanan. Had been carrying a knock last season? Something going on in his head? Off-field issues? 

Most likely it's just that he doesn't have to be panicking constantly about what's going on behind him and can actually just focus on doing his own job. Even as a fan I'm not worried about crosses that the keeper should be coming for anymore so I don't even know what that does for the players

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

With how infrequently the website has been updated with new episodes, I thought they'd given up the podcast when TV stardom went to their heads.

I think you've mixed up the Terrace Podcast (which published this interview with big John and produces around five podcasts per week across its main and subscription channels) and Tell Him He's Pelé (which is very much in the mud).

1 hour ago, TullyBascombe said:

Enjoyed the John Gemmell podcast a lot. Interesting guy, some very funny moments and surprisingly moving at the end. 

As a newcomer to the Sons this season it would be unnecessarily modest of me not to point out that this record-smashing start is clearly connected to my arrival. Not sure how I've done it having signed up for two hundred quid's worth of epic frustration and soul-crushing ennui, but hey, there's time for that yet.

Patience is the key 😉

10 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Some of the utter drivel on here!!! 

Good luck to Luke, often thought he didn’t get the credit he perhaps deserved but ultimately just not quite good enough for the championship. Heard he’s away to Dumbarton.

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

🤟🏻

👀

I'd be very surprised if we managed to get a player of Luke Donnelly's ability to drop into League Two, but hopefully the Lichties fans are ITK here.

LD looked like Messi when we played Forfar in the Scottish Cup and scored a really good goal

He is just painfully slow and has no physical attributes and that just cannot cut it in the Championship. Ability wise he is very good. If you look at his scoring record in the League Cup or against lower league opposition I’m sure it’ll be good. Scoring record in league is absolutely dreadful though 

Go to 4 minutes in to that and you’ll see a great goal… sums it up that the commentator brings up a sitter he’d missed in league few weeks before 

Seems a great guy and hope he does well