Sons' sorrow

thought the team done well tonight , the trialist keeper was very good and would be a great addition to the squad. our usual mistakes at the back cost us a couple of goals . our goal was well worked and a good finish by kirky.... up front fleming was doing a lot of good work tracking back and breaking up some Hamilton attacks and playing some good passes, nishy was nishy . our midfield in the first have done well with ct winning most of his tackles . gils doing a lot of running and covered well.............the second half saw some trialists , nishy was replaced and when archie campell came on he looked lively and would be very usefull in the squad....3-1 Hamilton was perhaps not a fair result ..........look forward to another good test on sat against thistle.........

Sounds like a good run out for us. Is Craig Sutherland the one we were trying to get a couple of years ago and he ended up signing for Blackpool after being on trial at loads of Scottish lower league teams?

Believe so. He bagged goals against Alloa and Thistle in pre-season friendlies a few years back.

Lets just hope that with Sutherland and Campbell on trial we'll sign one of them over Donnelly.

I thought that originally but having just looked at Sutherland's career, you've got to wonder if Donnelly would be a better shout. I had no idea he'd played so little down south, 7 appearances for Blackpool in two years, 9 for Plymouth, 0 for Woking and 2 at Queens Park (if wikipedia is to be believed), scoring 1 goal in the process.

I thought that originally but having just looked at Sutherland's career, you've got to wonder if Donnelly would be a better shout. I had no idea he'd played so little down south, 7 appearances for Blackpool in two years, 9 for Plymouth, 0 for Woking and 2 at Queens Park (if wikipedia is to be believed), scoring 1 goal in the process.

To be fair to him he suffered a serious injury at Blackpool pretty early on so that may have set him back.

Do agree though, we don't really have much to judge him on. Would much rather Campbell out of the 3, can't see us taking on 2 or all 3.

Pretty sure he had a bad injury at Blackpool that stuck him out for about a year, obviously it isn't great but then he also clearly hasn't settled at a club yet. I think that whoever signs him on a season long deal will see the best of him.

To be fair to him he suffered a serious injury at Blackpool pretty early on so that may have set him back.

Do agree though, we don't really have much to judge him on. Would much rather Campbell out of the 3, can't see us taking on 2 or all 3.

Pretty sure he had a bad injury at Blackpool that stuck him out for about a year, obviously it isn't great but then he also clearly hasn't settled at a club yet. I think that whoever signs him on a season long deal will see the best of him.

Fair enough, didn't realise that. Looking forward to Saturday.

Wanted a testimonial?

My knowledge of testimonial criteria is poor but I always thought it was 10 consecutive years of service but has he been with us for 10 years over two spells? Even then, I wouldn't think we have room in our budget for 3 first team keepers, even if one is a loan I'd imagine we still need to stump up some cash. I'd heard Grindlay wanted to play more this season so when he signed up it looked like he was happy to fight with Jazz for the jersey, but the next week we have another keeper coming in. I'd hope both keepers were told of our intentions to find another number 1 and if their offers say they will be 2nd and 3rd choice and they're both still happy to sign up then fair enough. I just think it's a bit of a waste, unless we're getting the boy from Aberdeen for absolutely nothing.

Grindlay perhaps signed as a safety net incase we couldn't get anyone else with a view to loaning him out if we do?

Having an agreement with one of the 'keepers that they'll be loaned out should we be able to sign someone better would make sense, rather than having 3 senior 'keepers plus Lumsden. It would probably suit the player too as he gets the security of a year's contract and knows he'll get to play one way or the other, either by swapping in and out with us like last season or by dropping out on loan to a lower league team and being their first choice.