Sons' sorrow

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can’t be the only one that isn’t particularly arsed about Joe McKee’s departure, am I? A good player on his day but I don’t think his 2nd spell with us has been great and I’m fairly certain he’ll be on a good wage. 

As for the Carlo rumours, as good a player as he was for us, where does he fit in? I always thought he was a far superior right back to centre mid where we have Aaron Lynas on a 2 year deal. We also have Ryan Blair in centre mid to play the type of role Pignatiello would be in there for. FWIW I think he’s far better right back than Lynas but it would be daft to sign him after offering Lynas a 2 year deal. I’d also rather not play with two defensive minded midfielders. This team desperately needs creativity. 

If we already have players in his position, I'd be thinking he's a stick on to sign. Probably to partner Wylde in central defence.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can’t be the only one that isn’t particularly arsed about Joe McKee’s departure, am I? A good player on his day but I don’t think his 2nd spell with us has been great and I’m fairly certain he’ll be on a good wage. 

As for the Carlo rumours, as good a player as he was for us, where does he fit in? I always thought he was a far superior right back to centre mid where we have Aaron Lynas on a 2 year deal. We also have Ryan Blair in centre mid to play the type of role Pignatiello would be in there for. FWIW I think he’s far better right back than Lynas but it would be daft to sign him after offering Lynas a 2 year deal. I’d also rather not play with two defensive minded midfielders. This team desperately needs creativity. 

Joe McKee has traded for far too long on former glories, and it's high time for a parting of the ways.  If Carlo DID rejoin he wouldn't be replicating Blair, as he has pace, mobility and two feet.  I'll be shocked if it happens.

And I'll be equally shocked if a squad is formed capable of achieving the glib 'one more push and we're promoted' line that appears to be coming through.

Three reasons for that   There is no way there will be a repeat of this season's meteoric start, and the evidence from January onwards was grim.  Secondly, the better players will very likely be off, with no guarantee of equivalent or better replacements.  Dumbarton is not an attractive destination right now for a number of reasons, as the new Scout will soon likely discover.

And finally, I see no evidence to suggest that Stevie Farrell will alter his game plan next season; there is a delusion that we came close this term, well we did until teams realised that we had no other clubs in the tactics bag.  And check out our goal ratios with the clubs below us, they make for interesting reading.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Maybe I’m knit-picking, but I think Carsy deserved more of a mention in that post, after the years of service he’s given us.

I think after choosing to go to ibrox over training with the team ahead of a playoff game seen any goodwill out the window.

A bad apple who I'm thrilled is finally away.  One good season and one good half season in 6/7 years is a massive failure.

2 minutes ago, Victor mcdade said:

I think after choosing to go to ibrox over training with the team ahead of a playoff game seen any goodwill out the window.

A bad apple who I'm thrilled is finally away.  One good season and one good half season in 6/7 years is a massive failure.

I don't think that was ever confirmed. Someone suggested it and Carsy refuted it AFAIK.

That's pretty harsh. I don't think him and Hutton exactly complemented each other as a pair, but he was a solid servant to DFC for a number of years. I'll be surprised if we see anyone else spend that long with us in the coming years.

23 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And finally, I see no evidence to suggest that Stevie Farrell will alter his game plan next season; there is a delusion that we came close this term, well we did until teams realised that we had no other clubs in the tactics bag. 

That's the worry. He needs to find another way of playing, or we'll struggle; never mind be anywhere near a title challenge. Our form from January onwards* was pretty dreadful. Even the Albion Rovers game on NYE, where we really stole the points. 

I'm hoping what he's saying publicly is just to save face, and that behind the scenes he's saying something different. I wouldn't count on it, though.

*P18 W6 D4 L8.

Didn't count Stranraer away, initially. 22 points from the second half of the season. Two wins came from dead rubbers, but maybe I'm being harsh to say those count for less.

Edited by FifeSons

6 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I don't think that was ever confirmed. Someone suggested it and Carsy refuted it AFAIK.

That's pretty harsh. I don't think him and Hutton exactly complemented each other as a pair, but he was a solid servant to DFC for a number of years. I'll be surprised if we see anyone else spend that long with us in the coming years.

Former member of staff has said it is indeed true.  Of course, they may be at it but I'm inclined to believe him given he was stripped of the captaincy after it.

I think Carswell stayed too long. Last season he was pretty poor. Nobody played well in our relegation season, but Carswell was a disappointment. I think dropping him back into defence had some benefit at the start of the season, but I don't think Farrell was ever 100% convinced. The first sign of problems and he was dropped. Injuries obviously impacted on his return, but a parting of the ways is probably a good decision for both parties. He was good for us for a few seasons. He was also good for us at the start of this season. He probably had opportunities elsewhere before now and I'd thank him for his contribution over the years. But its definitely the right time to move on, if not a little overdue.

McKee frustrates me. He has talent. We can't keep him fit and healthy. We play him far too deep because the manager is naturally defensive and we end up neutralising any threat he carries as an attacking midfielder. He can't do the graft or make up the distance if he's playing deep and teams at our level can't try hollywood passes all the time. If we're not going to even try to play to his strengths then he's best away. Very much what could have been with Joe McKee. He has ability, but we never seen the best of it.

I think I can only echo the above in terms of having a head of talent identification seems odd when we're struggling financially. However if it works and we uncover a whole squad of FM style regens that fire us into the champions league then it'll be worth it. 

Meanwhile back in reality... Of the confirmed departures I'm disappointed to see McNiff go. I had a bit of a fear he'd be woefully exposed at left back but he's been reliable in the most part and never really looked out of place there.

Russell McLean, the man we based our whole January window around getting punted in May maybe suggests a scout isn't the worst idea in the world. Maybe with a full preseason etc he'll look good elsewhere but I can't say I'm sad about his departure. Guaranteed will score against us if he ends up at another league 2 team however.

McKee was frustrating as anything as you knew there was a player in there but just never really saw it unfortunately. 

Orsi I'd like to keep but at the same time his actual output is ridiculously low in terms of goals or assists. If he stays I'll be happy, if we replace him with someone who can grab a few goals then fine. 

Buchanan is the one we need to try and keep. It's as simple as that I think. I don't know if he can get more money elsewhere or if another team closer to where he lives is looking at him or something like that but we need to try and hold on to him. I genuinely didn't think I'd write that after last year but here we are.

If Rusty stays in league 2 he will 100% score into us. Wouldn't suprise me to see him at Stenny since he is from that area I think, with a full pre-season and a bit of fire in his belly he may return to his old form that he found with Peterhead. In terms of Mckee I really wanted it to work for him but like everyones said injuries etc just took their toll. I'm glad carsy has moved on too, probably was one of our higher earners and thought he should've left a season or two ago. I'm really curious as to who we are going to sign if im honest... the new scout came from cowdenbeath so i'm assuming he may have some sort of experience/knowledge in those lower leagues? No idea what to expect...

Edited by DFCTTFM

First half of the season.

image.png.90b4b031d9129ad0b81e217022aaf669.png

Second half of the season.

image.png.ba2b060f7c9e9d41962275a6239c3c85.png

Amazing drop-off from Elgin.

We were the side with the biggest decrease in points; however, we did set the bar very high in H1.

Forfar were the most improved side in H2.

Edited by FifeSons

17 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

First half of the season.

image.png.90b4b031d9129ad0b81e217022aaf669.png

Second half of the season.

image.png.ba2b060f7c9e9d41962275a6239c3c85.png

Amazing drop-off from Elgin.

We were the side with the biggest decrease in points; however, we did set the bar very high in H1.

Forfar were the most improved side in H2.

Forfar suffered from the board (who I know read this) sticking with a man out of his depth in the first half. 

Shows the difference having someone with at least half a clue can make.

3 minutes ago, RateofKnots said:

Forfar suffered from the board (who I know read this) sticking with a man out of his depth in the first half. 

Shows the difference having someone with at least half a clue can make.

If you were to look at it from when McKinnon came in, it would look even more favourable, too. 37 from 21 games (1.76 PPG) vs 11 from 15 (0.73 PPG) under Irvine. That’s a 141% improvement in PPG under McKinnon.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

image.thumb.png.6460aec8b081790a5a7dae6eb27e65a7.png

This is pretty much standard practice by now, and no doubt accounts will be filed at one minute to midnight.  There are also no current Directors so they are technically in breach of the rules.

Of more interest and possibly importance are the three charges involving Pendragon Securities, the value of which are a mystery.  If the Planning Application renewal hits problems we might get to find out.

I don't know Mr Farrell... I think its the fact we are in this league because of your fine self. Mix in 3/4 pumpings, bottling the league., throwing your own players and fans under the bus... I think we are quite right to voice the frustration we are ALL feeling

Edited by DFCTTFM