Sons' sorrow

4 hours ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

I walked by on Thursday and saw about 40 ton of sand sitting at the gate, my thoughts were no way are they putting that on the park with a game in 48 hours. They did. 😳. That gets done the week after the last game 🤷🏻

Hope guys got the money up front from Broomhill.

6 hours ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

I walked by on Thursday and saw about 40 ton of sand sitting at the gate, my thoughts were no way are they putting that on the park with a game in 48 hours. They did. 😳. That gets done the week after the last game 🤷🏻

I'm beginning to get a horrible feeling of deja vu about all of this.  Can you please explain why sand is applied to a football pitch, although I think I can guess that whatever the reason is it should be done as far away from the park being in use as you state.

44 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm beginning to get a horrible feeling of deja vu about all of this.  Can you please explain why sand is applied to a football pitch, although I think I can guess that whatever the reason is it should be done as far away from the park being in use as you state.

Sand levelling. I actually watched a video on some guy doing it to his garden. He put the sand down and carried out a number of other tasks over a 10 week period and had a pristine bowling green surface at the end. I suspect if we'd put the sand on in May it would look alright by the time the season started. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sand levelling. I actually watched a video on some guy doing it to his garden. He put the sand down and carried out a number of other tasks over a 10 week period and had a pristine bowling green surface at the end. I suspect if we'd put the sand on in May it would look alright by the time the season started. 

The problem is, during the summer while everyone else was doing loads of work on their pitches to get them ready for the new season, our lazy ass groundsman sat on his arse not even cutting the grass! 

21 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

The problem is, during the summer while everyone else was doing loads of work on their pitches to get them ready for the new season, our lazy ass groundsman sat on his arse not even cutting the grass! 

Why can everyone involved with Dumbarton see this guy is an absolute chancer apart from the two people running the club? It's honestly criminal now. 

Just for anyone who wasn't at the game to appreciate what we're saying about the sand...

image.thumb.jpeg.2ddf04af754640f94a8ffdcf87ca6bd4.jpeg

I'm not an expert at all. But it feels like sand going on hours before a game is the sort of thing you do in an emergency. A desperate attempt to get the game on. Not something that should be having an impact on the first match of the season, after a seven week break and during a period where the weather has been absolutely fine if the pitch was taken care of properly.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

A volunteer for the new gardening project down at the rock? Surely it couldn't get any worse this season...

Wasn't it last August our pitch was absolutely scorched from the heatwave we had and was brown, specifically in a The Ranger B match?

25 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

A volunteer for the new gardening project down at the rock? Surely it couldn't get any worse this season...

Wasn't it last August our pitch was absolutely scorched from the heatwave we had and was brown, specifically in a The Ranger B match?

I'll take the 120 a week thank you very much, I'm not volunteering for this shitshow.

I've had a bit of time to think about yesterday now and, whilst I don't think you can ever read too much into friendlies, I'm going to do just that.

The first thing I'd say, is that it was refreshing to see us trying a totally different formation and a totally different style of play.

We lined up 4-3-3. A midfield three of Blair Malcolm, Tony Wallace and Jimmy Hilton. And a forward three of Aaron Mason, Ross MacLean and Michael Ruth.

That was a fairly radical shift from last season. I don't think we ever really tried a 4-3-3 and, to be fair to the players and management, it looked a wee bit like we'd signed a lot of the new guys with that formation in mind.

The second thing was the style of play we tried to use. Again, it's only pre-season. Teams always try and play a bit in pre-season. But we were really pushing to build something from the back. Probably only a handful of goal kicks from Brett went long, the others were all really short to Durnan or Crighton and we tried to build from there.

I'm always sceptical as to how effectively you can play pretty, slow build up, passing football in League Two. But even trying it a bit more and adding a different dimension to our game from last season would be very welcome. It felt a lot more like we were trying to play a style based on ability and not physical attributes.

Again. Will that work in League Two? No idea. But it would be nice to be able to mix and match between trying to pass through teams and trying to just bludgeon them into submission.

Both goals were nicely worked. The first when a neat move sent Carlo Pignatiello free and he beat a defender before rolling to Jinky Hilton. And the second when Tony Wallace was sent into space and curled in a perfect cross for Ross MacLean to blast home.

We enjoyed plenty of possession in Hebburn's half. And should've scored a few more; Jinky Hilton missed a couple of good chances, so did Ross MacLean and Michael Ruth was only denied by a mixture of the post and the keeper after a really incisive move.

For all the possession though, it felt like we didn't really force their keeper into any real saves in the second-half. And that's going to have to change. Although a lot of moves just broke down with the final ball which should improve as players get to know each other.

At the other end. Good God. We looked like a team with about nine debutants. The first goal came from a long ball which Carlo headed across the edge of the box rather than away. The second from our own corner. And the third after a mixup between Brett Long and Sean Crighton defending another simple long ball. Brett had been ill all week and hadn't trained, which might explain why he looked so rusty.

In the first-half we were our own worst enemy. In the second, Hebburn cut us open a good few times on their own.

Faz said afterwards that the new style means we'll concede more and be more open. And the important thing is cutting out the mistakes. Which I don't mind at all. He's right. We gifted them two goals. And you can't afford to do that. The counter attack probably would've been stopped in a competitive game, but nobody wanted to take a body and pick up a booking at that stage.

Despite the result and the manner of the goals conceded, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this team. Jinky Hilton especially, and I also liked what I saw from Michael Ruth. I just wish we'd found a way to get him on the ball more in the penalty box.

If we're going to radically change the way we play then there will be some howling moments. Especially defensively. And we might have to be patient with that. But it's a change I'm glad to see being made. I just hope the defence to attack pendulum doesn't swing drastically the other way and drop us back where we were defensively in the relegation year.

The pitch remains my biggest concern. And I'm praying for some sort of miracle. A lottery win and I'm going to be straight on the blower to Dumbarton Rock to offer him £50k and as much fertilizer and equipment as you can ever dream of to get it sorted. Because, my God, it's going to be horrendous come early autumn.

Nothing highlights the incompetence of our board more than the pitch issue. Continuing with a diddy of a manager is one thing, but they can at least use the “we finished 2nd” excuse for that one but the pitch is just such a glaring issue that not only hasn’t been addressed but made worse by agreeing to a 5 year groundshare with those minks Broomhill. 

The fact we can’t pass the ball around properly on a pitch that hasn’t seen a game for nearly 2 months, in the height of summer is genuinely mind blowing. It’s clear as day the groundsman doesn’t have a scooby what he’s doing and our board of fools haven’t even remotely tried to remedy the situation by bringing in someone who does.

I was told that Farrell was fuming at the end of May because nothing had been done to it despite our season finishing weeks before that. If I was him I’d be demanding something is done about it ASAP, because if you think it’s bad now just wait until we hit the middle of October.

We knew the pitch was a shambles last year. If the club have done nothing to rectify it over the summer then that's negligence on an almost criminal scale. TBH I'd probably go a player short in the squad and try to bring in a loan as cover than scrimp on pitch maintenance again. For the sake of 1 squad player, I'd much prefer we invested the money into the park. Greg Wylde - does he really bring anything to the group that a properly funded groundsman wouldn't?

It is really alarming what state the club in general really is... also considering you would just think its business as normal at the club. No one seems to give a rats arse other than the fans and a few in the club who are at too low a level to really cement something in. Its clear that the folk at the top couldn't give one f**k and with that clown Mackay I really don't know where we go other than down. I don't mean down the leagues, but I mean down in general, there is zero air of positivity when it comes to the owners... the only way we as a club can actually get on the way up is getting them so far to f**k, which at this stage seems impossible. Truely sad state of afairs.

To answer a few of your questions.

I always had Gavin booked up for as soon as the season was done, he would do us and Cappilow at the same time. He would vertidrain it then 60 ton of sand would get spread on it and it would get over seeded as well. It would then be left for a couple of weeks to let the seed germinate. The sand gets brushed into the holes the vertidrain made and that helps with the drainage and let's air into the soil. Then I'd start 3 weeks of cutting and watering constantly and it would then be ready for the start of the season. I'd also over seed the touchlines and goalmouths myself. I couldn't believe it when I saw that sand getting put on this late. Bizarre. 

4 hours ago, DFCTTFM said:

It is really alarming what state the club in general really is... also considering you would just think its business as normal at the club. No one seems to give a rats arse other than the fans and a few in the club who are at too low a level to really cement something in. Its clear that the folk at the top couldn't give one f**k and with that clown Mackay I really don't know where we go other than down. I don't mean down the leagues, but I mean down in general, there is zero air of positivity when it comes to the owners... the only way we as a club can actually get on the way up is getting them so far to f**k, which at this stage seems impossible. Truely sad state of afairs.

I wonder if you realise how accurate your post is, and as for the last line we currently have a state of affairs which is becoming unsustainable.  The next three months could be both crucial and interesting in equal measure, but to hopefully provide some hope I can assure everyone that efforts are being made, none of which I can go into here, to arrest the club's decline.  But it won't be easy and it could get messy.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I wonder if you realise how accurate your post is, and as for the last line we currently have a state of affairs which is becoming unsustainable.  The next three months could be both crucial and interesting in equal measure, but to hopefully provide some hope I can assure everyone that efforts are being made, none of which I can go into here, to arrest the club's decline.  But it won't be easy and it could get messy.

I was meaning more in terms of the higher ups like said owners etc.. I know of some at the club who do have the club at heart and are trying as hard as they can. No disrespect meant towards the sonstrust and fellow volunteers like them... its just really hard to watch as a fan and its heartbreaking how much of a decline we have had

5 hours ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

To answer a few of your questions.

I always had Gavin booked up for as soon as the season was done, he would do us and Cappilow at the same time. He would vertidrain it then 60 ton of sand would get spread on it and it would get over seeded as well. It would then be left for a couple of weeks to let the seed germinate. The sand gets brushed into the holes the vertidrain made and that helps with the drainage and let's air into the soil. Then I'd start 3 weeks of cutting and watering constantly and it would then be ready for the start of the season. I'd also over seed the touchlines and goalmouths myself. I couldn't believe it when I saw that sand getting put on this late. Bizarre. 

The club need you back. You clearly know what you're doing and you are passionate about it. That makes all the difference in a job.