Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

His brother is at Clyde, so I fully expect Duffy's approach was very similar to when you're needing an extra body for 5s.

I do have some concern for Clyde whilst Duffy is so involved. I thought they might have a chance when McLean was appointed as manager but it is clear that Jim is still pulling the strings with regards to signings so far...

Couldn't really fault us there. I thought there was a risk of a pumping, but we looked very comfortable very quickly. Just let down by a lack of quality finishing, and Airdrie bringing on some subs with the same quality as the guys they replaced.

Played some nice stuff, brave on the ball and looked a threat. The goals were a bit too easy. But given how well we'd defended up until that point I've no real complaints.

42 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Couldn't really fault us there. I thought there was a risk of a pumping, but we looked very comfortable very quickly. Just let down by a lack of quality finishing, and Airdrie bringing on some subs with the same quality as the guys they replaced.

Played some nice stuff, brave on the ball and looked a threat. The goals were a bit too easy. But given how well we'd defended up until that point I've no real complaints.

It was weird following one of our games using social media and betting websites and actually seeing us attacking and having a good chunk of possession at times. How did Michael Ruth look? My main concern at this stage is that we seem to be wasting chances and still don’t really have anyone who’s looking like they’ll notch double figures.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It was weird following one of our games using social media and betting websites and actually seeing us attacking and having a good chunk of possession at times. How did Michael Ruth look? My main concern at this stage is that we seem to be wasting chances and still don’t really have anyone who’s looking like they’ll notch double figures.

My first impression of Ruth is he looked reasonable in every aspect except the very thing we’ve signed him for. For a striker he doesn’t do an awful lot of striking. 

There’s a lot more positives than negatives coming out of that today. And a smattering of excellent performances. 

50 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm going to brave it out here and say that, if we keep playing this way, I think Ruth will hit double figures. Not Dale Carrick or Tommy Goss numbers. But 10-12. I like him a lot, and all that's missing is that final touch or final ball. My only worry is that his confidence will dip the longer he goes without a goal - but he's looking far more effective and natural up top than anyone we had last season, and his sheer physicality will cause issues in League Two. He caused issues for big Callum Fordyce today, a man who I'd say is the benchmark for a League One centre-half.

I was chatting about him at the game, and came the conclusion that he's kind of like a mixture of Declan Byrne and Ryan Wallace. His hold-up play, defensive game and physicality is good, like Ryan Wallace. But he's fast, incredibly hard working and good when he gets the ball down and charges forward. Like Declan Byrne. The only issue there being that, between them, Wallace and Byrne scored nine goals last season.

I honestly think he'll be a good player for us though, and I enjoyed pretty much every aspect of his performance today. As George says, the only thing I'd like to see more of is him in positions where he's able to shoot.

43 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm going to brave it out here and say that, if we keep playing this way, I think Ruth will hit double figures. Not Dale Carrick or Tommy Goss numbers. But 10-12. I like him a lot, and all that's missing is that final touch or final ball. My only worry is that his confidence will dip the longer he goes without a goal - but he's looking far more effective and natural up top than anyone we had last season, and his sheer physicality will cause issues in League Two. He caused issues for big Callum Fordyce today, a man who I'd say is the benchmark for a League One centre-half.

I was chatting about him at the game, and came the conclusion that he's kind of like a mixture of Declan Byrne and Ryan Wallace. His hold-up play, defensive game and physicality is good, like Ryan Wallace. But he's fast, incredibly hard working and good when he gets the ball down and charges forward. Like Declan Byrne. The only issue there being that, between them, Wallace and Byrne scored nine goals last season.

I honestly think he'll be a good player for us though, and I enjoyed pretty much every aspect of his performance today. As George says, the only thing I'd like to see more of is him in positions where he's able to shoot.

Good stuff, but given all that why was he replaced today after 73 minutes by Wylde, with Byrne still on the bench ?

2 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Good stuff, but given all that why was he replaced today after 73 minutes by Wylde, with Byrne still on the bench ?

Byrne's carrying a knock (I know, it's not like him...!) and wasn't going to be risked today unless we faced some sort of emergency.

On the injury front, Tuesday might be too soon for Kalvin after his knock down at Workington. I'm reliably informed that his ankle was ball shaped last week.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I thought Dumbarton were decent, good game plan,  high press seemed to suit you and we were rattled for spells,  2 full backs were sharp and a bit of composure and you could have been up, in saying that I felt Airdrie were playing well within themselves,    Sean Crighton was just Sean Crighton, with Durnan alongside him at the back there is plenty brawn, but little passing ability, could be an issue if teams sit in,  would think you guys will be decent this season..

As I said on our thread that Dumbarton strip is a belter ,  

Having just read of the situation at Southend United there are astonishing parallels between the situation there and here, not least the descent of both clubs and their 'colourful' owners' intention to relocate the club, never mind these individuals' financial histories and brushes with the law.

Maybe we should suggest a friendly with them.

Honestly thought we played very well yesterday.

My MOTM would either of been Jinky or young both were outstanding imo. Pass marks all round as I thought we looked solid enough, midfield done well to chase down balls and drive us forward and ruth looks like a good piece of business, proper natural striker feels around him. Just hope he can get on the scoresheet soon to help his confidence out.

Thought our subs did kill us alittle bit, although ryan wallace done very well I thought. He looks like hes lost a bit of weight too and seems to be moving more freely.

Can't also forget we were missing Kalvin, malcolm, finlay(Assuming hes not aff it or whatever is happening with him) and C.wilson.

Obviously we won't know how things will go until the start of the league, but good signs are starting to show and dare I say it, i'm optimistic and looking forward to it.