Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The Stirling Albion pitch which has had 4 postponements in the last two months?

I'm being slightly facetious, they got unlucky with timing of games relative to cold snaps and storms but there was a fair bit of controversy about both Accies postponements.

I think a couple were down to really severe weather (wind certainly got one, and there was a very hard frost around here for another one). But aye. That pitch.

I'd actually rather we had some games called off if it meant that the park wasn't as badly damaged.

We've not had a call-off this season. But the games against Clyde (wind), East Fife (the pitch was effectively frozen) and Rangers (only went ahead because they had their groundstaff on it) all got lucky. And all of them were impacted as a spectacle by playing on a park that looked like a gateaux.

It feels like we do everything possible to get the pitch just to cross the playable boundary. Without giving a single thought to the longer term damage it will do. It was the same last season where sand was dumped everywhere as a quick fix. But ended up causing more issues.

5 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I think the home crowds until the playoffs might amount to the same thing.

True. I'm yet to be convinced we'll even make the playoffs. We're about the worst form side in the league and all it's going to take is one side below us to go on a semi-decent run.

6 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Seen as you all waited so patiently (or went out and bought my paper), the full article has just gone online. Cognitive's full statement was about 500/600 words, so it's heavily cut down here. But I believe they might be putting it on the website; think that was certainly Clive's aim when I spoke to him at the end of the week.

My first draft was about 1800 words, so it's been cut to fit the page. But hopefully it gives some new information from behind the scenes. It's difficult for me because there's such a close link here between something personal on which I have strong views and my actual ability to do my day job here. So I'm treating it like I treat most sensitive or political stories at work; here is what everyone is saying. Make up your own mind on who and what you believe.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-fc-owners-speak-out-32065435

I think you've done very well there Jan.

If we had a tenner for every time there's been an apology for the lack of communications over the years we'd have been able to buy the club a verti-drain.

The quotes from Cognitive reminded me of the time Ian Wilson addressed a public meeting at the Rock BC wearing a Sons scarf.  Serious football people don't behave like that, and sadly we haven't been owned by serious football for a long time.

The Trust has it's imperfections - the lack of a functioning website is one (we're on it folks) - but having a presence back in the DFC Boardroom is vitally important, in holding policies and actions to account.

And by that I don't just mean ownership matters; the whole reason for the club's existence is the football, and as a supporters representative body we will also seek to bring influence and opinions to bear.  And that also applies to the club culture and public relations.

Went on the trust website to join in light of the latest cognitive statement and it hadn't been updated. 

I can't make a lot of games but I really want to be involved. Feeling a bit helpless and guilty with it all as life takes over. 

Cognitive and Mackay are in colluding. It's absolutely obvious. I remember talking to him pre boardroom appointment about the club as I knew he was the team doc and he seemed like he couldn't give a f**k about DFC. It was surprising when he was appointed. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think you've done very well there Jan.

If we had a tenner for every time there's been an apology for the lack of communications over the years we'd have been able to buy the club a verti-drain.

The quotes from Cognitive reminded me of the time Ian Wilson addressed a public meeting at the Rock BC wearing a Sons scarf.  Serious football people don't behave like that, and sadly we haven't been owned by serious football for a long time.

The Trust has it's imperfections - the lack of a functioning website is one (we're on it folks) - but having a presence back in the DFC Boardroom is vitally important, in holding policies and actions to account.

And by that I don't just mean ownership matters; the whole reason for the club's existence is the football, and as a supporters representative body we will also seek to bring influence and opinions to bear.  And that also applies to the club culture and public relations.

That meeting with Wilson still haunts me. God only know why he thought that approach would win him friends.

There is a lot to do and IMO change is on the horizon and we need to make sure it’s done correctly with the clubs long term security and the fans at the fore front of all decisions. 

@the snudge I know from speaking to people already that this is something the trust want to fix ASAP. I suspect their will be comms on social media in the short term as that’s an area that can be moved quickly on but until then I am sure @O'Kelly Isley III, myself and others will try and keep everyone in the loop.

2 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

That meeting with Wilson still haunts me. God only know why he thought that approach would win him friends.

There is a lot to do and IMO change is on the horizon and we need to make sure it’s done correctly with the clubs long term security and the fans at the fore front of all decisions. 

@the snudge I know from speaking to people already that this is something the trust want to fix ASAP. I suspect their will be comms on social media in the short term as that’s an area that can be moved quickly on but until then I am sure @O'Kelly Isley III, myself and others will try and keep everyone in the loop.

I note you mention change is coming, and Simon Barrow has hinted that there are things going on in the background that cannot be revealed at this time. Whilst I fully appreciate the need for confidentiality, it would be nice to know if these things being talked about could regain us control of the club before any further damage (such as selling the car park for houses) is done?

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

The other problem with MacKay is that Cognitive (A.Hosie), as the majority shareholder, will never approve a Chairman or board who might stand up to them.

Exactly this. For all that our current chairman deserves criticism how can we get a board that can actually do anything when none of them would be major shareholders or have the same interests as the owners 

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I note you mention change is coming, and Simon Barrow has hinted that there are things going on in the background that cannot be revealed at this time. Whilst I fully appreciate the need for confidentiality, it would be nice to know if these things being talked about could regain us control of the club before any further damage (such as selling the car park for houses) is done?

My point on change coming is purely my personal opinion, no inside knowledge.

With the election result, we know there are roughly 225 trust members. Our average attendance (league only) is 539 this season. I think it's reasonable to assume that around half of our core support aren't trust members. I would urge anyone that can, to join as soon as they can.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sounds very early days Mike Ashley wearing a Newcastle strip.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Probably not news to you, but a guy in the East Fife thread said their supporters trust is close to taking over the club with a loan from the Scottish government and that Falkirk did a similar thing, which I was unaware of.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

With the election result, we know there are roughly 225 trust members. Our average attendance (league only) is 539 this season. I think it's reasonable to assume that around half of our core support aren't trust members. I would urge anyone that can, to join as soon as they can.

Don’t forget our new friends with their half season tickets! 😉

2 hours ago, microdave said:

For the benefit of  @the snudge and @George Parr and other interested parties, the Trust Membership Secretary is Tommy Hughes and he can be contacted by Email at tommyhughes@blueyonder.co.uk or in person on home match days in Bar 72 from 2pm onwards.  Tommy will then set the ball rolling, noting that annual membership is £10.

Further to Microdave's post above, I think it is instructive to put the very existence of the Sons Supporters Trust and the many others in Scotland in the context of the Bill brought to Holyrood last week, and Jackie Baillie's contribution to the debate.

Put simply, had there been even a basic form of regulatory oversight applied by the Scottish football authorities which required a submission from member clubs in the event of a takeover or change of ownership, and an accompanying 'Fit And Proper Person' test, then the likes of Cognitive Capital would never have got over the door at DFC.

It's surely worth a tenner guys.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Given a vacuum of leadership from the club board and the ongoing efforts of our owners, a strong supporters trust is as important now as it's ever been. We need a strong and united support as a means of challenging both the running of the club and the owner's plans for development of the land surrounding the stadium. The Holyrood debate over an independent regulator for football is welcome and such a body may well help the next potential crisis club, but it also highlights the failures of our football authorities to protect member clubs from people who do not put the interests of football clubs or supporters to the forefront.