Sons' sorrow

9 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see Steven Boyd left Morton today. I’d assume because he’s left them outside the transfer window we couldn’t sign him on a permanent deal but could he sign on a brown envelope/travel expenses amateur deal? No doubt the chicken man is lining him up as EK’s 99th signing of the season.

I think we are more likely to sign Chris Boyd tbh.

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Unlike Ryan Wallace, we're nothing if not reliable.

You see, where you guys didn't have a good relationship with the guy, in general. We all (mostly) rated him very highly. I'm not a fan of petulant bookings but in terms of everything else, I thought he handled himself really well. Even when he didn't start or anything, I don't remember him seeming bothered by it. Dare I say it, he's been very professional and pretty reliable to us, other than some time out with injury and stuff last season.

Gutted to lose a key player, because we don't have anyone else who can do the job he done for us.

3 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

You see, where you guys didn't have a good relationship with the guy, in general. We all (mostly) rated him very highly. I'm not a fan of petulant bookings but in terms of everything else, I thought he handled himself really well. Even when he didn't start or anything, I don't remember him seeming bothered by it. Dare I say it, he's been very professional and pretty reliable to us, other than some time out with injury and stuff last season.

Gutted to lose a key player, because we don't have anyone else who can do the job he done for us.

He's a "key player" in as much as he was talented with the ball at his feet. But he couldn't score in a brothel and spent most games dropping back to defensive mid looking for the ball rather than making any impact in the attacking third. We've lost a recognised forward, which we are light on numbers wise, but we won't notice much difference on the field in my humble opinion. I always wanted him to play 90 mins up high, close to a striker such as Ruth, but either by way of accident, design or poor planning he was inevitably too deep to affect the goals for column, or stuck up front as a lone target man while high balls were shelled over his midget head. Probably would have been far more effective under a less defensively minded manager.

I have to say, I don't think Stranraer were very good at all. They had plenty of the ball but other than Ben Armour's header, they didn't look like nearly scoring. I think we were good value for the win over the 90 mins.

Although I agree that Farrell deserves some credit for making the changes (ones we have all been suggesting for weeks but it took him til yesterday to see...) I also think he invited the pressure in the last 15 mins or so. Every sub made us more defensive and I didn't think that was right approach, albeit we ended up with the 3 points.

I think Michael Ruth and Tony Wallace in particular started to tire out of it as the game went on. They were superb in the first half though. T Wallace in particular always makes good use of the ball, compared to other players we have been starting ahead of him in recent weeks. Watching yesterday and he very rarely loses possession and usually when he finds a teammate we are in a better position than when he received the ball. Like others, I'm very concerned about Michael Ruth's fitness! He is having to play 90 mins in every game and we will fall apart without him available.

I'd be concerned as a Stranraer fan. They are rotten and with Clyde's result yesterday, I could see them in some trouble in the coming weeks. The only saving grace is that Stair Park is a tough place to go. Without checking, I'd imagine their form at home is slightly better than their away form.

45 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I have to say, I don't think Stranraer were very good at all. They had plenty of the ball but other than Ben Armour's header, they didn't look like nearly scoring. I think we were good value for the win over the 90 mins.

Although I agree that Farrell deserves some credit for making the changes (ones we have all been suggesting for weeks but it took him til yesterday to see...) I also think he invited the pressure in the last 15 mins or so. Every sub made us more defensive and I didn't think that was right approach, albeit we ended up with the 3 points.

I think Michael Ruth and Tony Wallace in particular started to tire out of it as the game went on. They were superb in the first half though. T Wallace in particular always makes good use of the ball, compared to other players we have been starting ahead of him in recent weeks. Watching yesterday and he very rarely loses possession and usually when he finds a teammate we are in a better position than when he received the ball. Like others, I'm very concerned about Michael Ruth's fitness! He is having to play 90 mins in every game and we will fall apart without him available.

I'd be concerned as a Stranraer fan. They are rotten and with Clyde's result yesterday, I could see them in some trouble in the coming weeks. The only saving grace is that Stair Park is a tough place to go. Without checking, I'd imagine their form at home is slightly better than their away form.

A good post.  I think the sense of relief at once again winning a league game is masking another trademark patchy performance.  A more incisive team than Stranraer would maybe have made much more of their second half possession, and it's a worry that we could be heading into playoffs incapable of maintaining a performance level for ninety minutes.

But it is what it is, and it's not likely to change.

With Broomhill playing on the pitch yesterday I can’t even begin to imagine what kind of a nick it is in. Our pitch simply cannot handle 3 games in a week, especially when 2 of those are back to back. 

It’s genuinely borderline unplayable, just due to it’s general state. I find watching home games a bit of a slog because the pitch impacts the quality of the game so much. The players must absolutely hate it.

I’d also just like to add that Marc Kelly has the worst combover I’ve ever seen.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With Broomhill playing on the pitch yesterday I can’t even begin to imagine what kind of a nick it is in. Our pitch simply cannot handle 3 games in a week, especially when 2 of those are back to back. 

It’s genuinely borderline unplayable, just due to it’s general state. I find watching home games a bit of a slog because the pitch impacts the quality of the game so much. The players must absolutely hate it.

I’d also just like to add that Marc Kelly has the worst combover I’ve ever seen.

Funnily enough I was just looking at pictures from yesterday... Horrendous

Photos by PhilD

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Funnily enough I was just looking at pictures from yesterday... Horrendous

Photos by PhilD

Looking at that crowd in the background, under 100?

How can they survive on those attendances & hire our place too?

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think Broomhill voted against them? I might be completely wrong on that but I’m sure I remember reading they were one of the no voters.

Nope, they were in favour.

image.png.741c8f7ec17b9265a07d0207d8af245e.png