Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

A very well balanced post and admittance of being wrong about Uncle. 

The rest of you serpents please take note.

THe only down side to last night's result is another season of listening to Neily's "uncle Faz" pish on the thread.

Can we please talk about Kalvin Orsi! When we got relegated I remember wanting him released. In league 1 I don’t ever remember him being particularly threatening to a full back and actually thought he looked like an out of position striker. Now I get a bit excited every time he runs at a defender! He surely has massively improved his physical conditioning!?

I think we’ll feel pretty lucky if we keep 1/3 of him, Gray and Ruth.

If you kept that same starting 11 and switched Long for Hogarth, I think it would be ok in L1. Maybe with upgrades on Hilton and Crighton (possibly also Wallace given his age, as great as he’s been in L2). Sadly I’d think Lennon, Newbury, Gray and Ruth at the very least, won’t be around.

I don't see why we couldn't get Lennon back, it would be natural for his progression to go to a League 1 side next season. I don't think we'll see Newbury, Gray or Ruth play for us again though. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't see why we couldn't get Lennon back, it would be natural for his progression to go to a League 1 side next season. I don't think we'll see Newbury, Gray or Ruth play for us again though. 

Maybe if Hamilton go up we’ll have a chance of keeping Newbury. I’d suspect a stronger L1 side would be able to get him, though.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Lennon has came on massively during his time for us and done great but I feel like League 1 might be a step too far too quickly.

Another season in League 2 should give him the experience he needs to push on up a league the season after.

Just now, FifeSons said:

Maybe if Hamilton go up we’ll have a chance of keeping Newbury. I’d suspect a stronger L1 side would be able to get him, though.

I hope so but I think Hamilton would be mad to let him out again regardless of their league.

Just now, super-son said:

Lennon has came on massively during his time for us and done great but I feel like League 1 might be a step too far too quickly.

Another season in League 2 should give him the experience he needs to push on up a league the season after.

He adjusted fairly quickly to League 2 from Linlithgow which was a big jump. He'd likely be a squad player as well. I'd be fine with him coming back. 

I would absolutely take him as a squad player but I think we will need someone with a bit more pace to handle league 1 properly. Someone his age should be looking to be playing every week to develop is quickly as possible and not sitting on the bench.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, super-son said:

If he carries on progressing at the same rate, he’ll be more than capable of L1 and I think another side in there will go in for him.

I’d bin everyone that was on the bench last night, with maybe Graham as the exception, at a push. As much as we all love Lynas’s effort and the shift he put in last night, there’s no place for sentimentality in football. A few are under contract, but I’d be telling them to look for new clubs. My worry is Faz might be loyal to a few that just aren’t up to L1.

Edited by FifeSons

39 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

If he carries on progressing at the same rate, he’ll be more than capable of L1 and I think another side in there will go in for him.

I’d bin everyone that was on the bench last night, with maybe Graham as the exception, at a push. As much as we all love Lynas’s effort and the shift he put in last night, there’s no place for sentimentality in football. A few are under contract, but I’d be telling them to look for new clubs. My worry is Faz might be loyal to a few that just aren’t up to L1.

I think that's unduly harsh on Aron Lynas, and I certainly think that he's worth retaining.   He's benefitted from Mark Durnan's return to the team.

I do though agree with taking tough decisions on some others, especially as we'll now be playing in League One, and I'd like to think that Faz and the club Board has been preparing for two possible scenarios.

I think Lynas could do a job for us next season. Again, maybe not a starter but he is great a filling in when needed in multiple positions and that’s always a great thing to have at your disposal.

Who is actually all signed up for next season as it stands?

1 hour ago, super-son said:

I think Lynas could do a job for us next season. Again, maybe not a starter but he is great a filling in when needed in multiple positions and that’s always a great thing to have at your disposal.

Who is actually all signed up for next season as it stands?

Off the top of my head... Durnan, Crighton, Carlo, Hilton, Young, Wallace.

Could really be doing with getting Long signed up, alongside the obvious ones of retaining Ruth, Gray and (to a slightly lesser extent) Orsi.

The website is absolutely rotten so I could be all over the place with those 😂

Just now, squeezebox-son said:

Off the top of my head... Durnan, Crighton, Carlo, Hilton, Young, Wallace.

Could really be doing with getting Long signed up, alongside the obvious ones of retaining Ruth, Gray and (to a slightly lesser extent) Orsi.

The website is absolutely rotten so I could be all over the place with those 😂

I'm fairly sure Long is signed for next year and the two Wilsons as well. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'm fairly sure Long is signed for next year and the two Wilsons as well. 

I was sure Long signed a 2 year deal when he joined, but couldn't remember an extension on it. D Wilson extended his deal in January of 2023 I thought which signed him up until the end of this season and I can't remember at all what C Wilson signed. He can consider himself lucky to get a promotion to his name, considering how little he contributed this season.

7 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I was sure Long signed a 2 year deal when he joined, but couldn't remember an extension on it. D Wilson extended his deal in January of 2023 I thought which signed him up until the end of this season and I can't remember at all what C Wilson signed. He can consider himself lucky to get a promotion to his name, considering how little he contributed this season.

I'm sure Jan will clear things up for us soon enough. 

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Brett signed a new two year deal in August of last year, so he's signed up.

So I think this is how we look so far.Screenshot_20240518-182149.thumb.png.53130d62353bbfa19879a0566f8ef35c.png

Ohhh,  dat midfield 😬 please move on Ryan Blair and D Wilson. I, like others, have some fear we retain too many through sentiment.

Look at Stirling and see what happens when you don't improve your squad enough.

49 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Ohhh,  dat midfield 😬 please move on Ryan Blair and D Wilson. I, like others, have some fear we retain too many through sentiment.

Look at Stirling and see what happens when you don't improve your squad enough.

Yep, midfield looks like an issue already. I’d keep T Wallace and maybe Hilton at a push. Blair and D Wilson I wouldn’t even keep for the bench.

The defence and GK situation is encouraging though.

Posted (edited)

With Hamilton Academical going up to the Championship today hopefully they'll see sense & let young Newbury continue his development with Sons next season.

Edited by Silverton End