Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Div Wilson and Ryan Blair are already signed up so it might be difficult shifting them on. Declan Byrne is already gone is he not?

We might be in the same league as other part time sides but I don't think we're on a par budget wise. Arbroath, Alloa and Montrose are all very well backed by their respective owners and boards. Kelty have lost a bit of funding but still seem capable of pulling some decent players in. I suspect we'll have a similar budget to Annan with Stenny probably being slightly ahead of both of us. 

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see Gray Or Ruth coming back. Newbury and Lennon seem reasonable options if their clubs are letting them out for another season. Steven Warnock who has been released from Kilmarnock would be a good option IMO, chat of him potentially going part time.

Ah okay..thought he went on loan to Bonnyrigg.Didnt realise RB and DW were on 2 year contracts.Not sure they are up to L1 TBH.

I agree with you about the budgets...Alloa QOS Montrose will probably be above us but i think we will compete well with Stenny, Annan and Kelty.Ultimately it all depends who we get in and who can 'sell' their club best.

Div and Ryan Blair signed their new deals in April 2023, so both probably were first picks at that point. It was at the same time Ross MacLean signed his iirc.

27 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I never understood why Wilson and Blair were offered deals in mid-season when both had become squad players and we didn't know how the season would end.  I really think we should have waited.

I reckon we'll have them as squad players for the first half of the season and they'll be free to find new clubs when the annual January reshuffle comes around. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Div Wilson and Ryan Blair are already signed up so it might be difficult shifting them on. Declan Byrne is already gone is he not?

We might be in the same league as other part time sides but I don't think we're on a par budget wise. Arbroath, Alloa and Montrose are all very well backed by their respective owners and boards. Kelty have lost a bit of funding but still seem capable of pulling some decent players in. I suspect we'll have a similar budget to Annan with Stenny probably being slightly ahead of both of us. 

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see Gray Or Ruth coming back. Newbury and Lennon seem reasonable options if their clubs are letting them out for another season. Steven Warnock who has been released from Kilmarnock would be a good option IMO, chat of him potentially going part time.

Tbf to Petrie don’t think he’s working with a massive budget but the board have definitely backed him with transfer fees for Hester etc. They still have guys like Watson and Masson signing on again this year the guy has worked wonders there. 

Think we should have a decent budget after 5 years of championship money and a couple of decent finishes. Last 2 years of averages around 2k and 1300-1500 season books will have put some cash in the bank and we’ve got a full time commercial director who somehow manages to stick sponsors on absolutely everything. McIntyre should be well backed.

Alloa I’ve no idea is it still the wee bald man? It’ll be interesting to see how they do I imagine if they’d kept this years team around next year with the 3 excellent loanees they’d be right in amongst it but suppose it’ll all depend on how Andy Graham recruits and if they can get success in the loan market again. 

QoTS you’d think would see a resurgence and you’d have to think ICT will absolutely throw cash at it. 

You would imagine it would be an extremely competitive division and a lot of fun. I think from the off Annan have to look like they’ll have a hard time and ICT got to be favourites in an all or nothing year but I am unsure on anything other than that.

53 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Div and Ryan Blair signed their new deals in April 2023, so both probably were first picks at that point. It was at the same time Ross MacLean signed his iirc.

Well I'd say the situation has now altered and we should recognise that.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf to Petrie don’t think he’s working with a massive budget but the board have definitely backed him with transfer fees for Hester etc. They still have guys like Watson and Masson signing on again this year the guy has worked wonders there. 

Think we should have a decent budget after 5 years of championship money and a couple of decent finishes. Last 2 years of averages around 2k and 1300-1500 season books will have put some cash in the bank and we’ve got a full time commercial director who somehow manages to stick sponsors on absolutely everything. McIntyre should be well backed.

Alloa I’ve no idea is it still the wee bald man? It’ll be interesting to see how they do I imagine if they’d kept this years team around next year with the 3 excellent loanees they’d be right in amongst it but suppose it’ll all depend on how Andy Graham recruits and if they can get success in the loan market again. 

QoTS you’d think would see a resurgence and you’d have to think ICT will absolutely throw cash at it. 

You would imagine it would be an extremely competitive division and a lot of fun. I think from the off Annan have to look like they’ll have a hard time and ICT got to be favourites in an all or nothing year but I am unsure on anything other than that.

Montrose are very well backed, there really can't be any debate there. The standard of forward player and loanees they get are a sign they're paying top dollar for a part time side. Obviously they need squad players too but their top end of the wage bill will be high. 

Arbroath will have a good budget purely because of the number of season tickets you have, I very much doubt you've been saving money from the Championship, if you have that was extremely daft. 

Agree with much of the rest.

Aye, if Arbroath have been saving money so that they can bounce back quickly after relegation, instead of just spending it to stay there in the first place, that would be very stupid.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Montrose are very well backed, there really can't be any debate there. The standard of forward player and loanees they get are a sign they're paying top dollar for a part time side. Obviously they need squad players too but their top end of the wage bill will be high. 

Arbroath will have a good budget purely because of the number of season tickets you have, I very much doubt you've been saving money from the Championship, if you have that was extremely daft. 

Plus they paid Elgin a decent fee for Kane Hester.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

19 minutes ago, super-son said:

Aye, if Arbroath have been saving money so that they can bounce back quickly after relegation, instead of just spending it to stay there in the first place, that would be very stupid.

Not sure that’s really the way to look at it. We definitely would have been safeguarding the future of the club and not spunking all of the cash we made on players anyway. Money definitely been set aside for future projects and things the club want to do it was said in an interview with the vice Chairman the other day. We’re not a Championship club so not going to spend over and above to try and stay in the division instead of thinking about the future. Scott Allan thing aside (which I don’t think the club were funding themselves) we’ve been pretty prudent and not got carried away. 

On Montrose I’m really not overly sure but you are maybe correct - I’ve never really thought about it but looking through the squad nothing really stands out aside from the good fee they paid for Hester. Be interesting to see how Dillon, Masson and Watson hold up in the next year too. 

Never mind Montrose and Arbroath, why are we allowing a representative of a club renting our facilities to stand on our pitch making an appeal to locals to support them, when we have difficulty attracting crowds ?

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Never mind Montrose and Arbroath, why are we allowing a representative of a club renting our facilities to stand on our pitch making an appeal to locals to support them, when we have difficulty attracting crowds ?

A truly embarassing situation tbqhwy. I’m not remotely concerned about Dumbarton fans defecting to Broomhill but the principle of it all is an absolute minter for our board. In a town that can barely sustain one part-time football club our board have allowed another to swan in and start trying to poach our supporters/potential future supporters, what a shower of eejits.

I can’t imagine our neighbours at the Milburn are overly delighted about it either and I’d encourage any Sons fan who is thinking of taking in a Broomhill game when we’re away from home or have a free weekend to head there instead.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A truly embarassing situation tbqhwy. I’m not remotely concerned about Dumbarton fans defecting to Broomhill but the principle of it all is an absolute minter for our board. In a town that can barely sustain one part-time football club our board have allowed another to swan in and start trying to poach our supporters/potential future supporters, what a shower of eejits.

I can’t imagine our neighbours at the Milburn are overly delighted about it either and I’d encourage any Sons fan who is thinking of taking in a Broomhill game when we’re away from home or have a free weekend to head there instead.

I can only assume that the money we receive is not to be sniffed at and perhaps the promotion we just enjoyed in part was down to prostituting ourselves to Broomhill.Im not saying its right or ethical but maybe its what is needed.Also Im sure they know that no one will give Broomhill a second look.I agree though it does look shite.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

I can only assume that the money we receive is not to be sniffed at and perhaps the promotion we just enjoyed in part was down to prostituting ourselves to Broomhill.Im not saying its right or ethical but maybe its what is needed.Also Im sure they know that no one will give Broomhill a second look.I agree though it does look shite.

There’s a big difference between hiring out facilities to a club for some dosh and hiring out facilities for an extended period of time with a view to them building a base here and standing on our pitch trying to encourage the good people of Dumbarton to go down and watch them when we can barely get a few hundred through the gate. They were also offering deals to Dumbarton season ticket holders which our board were happy to let happen. They are fuds and should have made it clear from the start that this sort of thing was off limits. 

22 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Not much the board can do now to stop them after signing the 5 year deal. Does make you sick though. Such a stupid, stupid decision.

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If anyone has a free weekend and wants to watch a non Dumbarton game, go to Bankies or Yoker. The club secretary of Vale is an absolute w****r.