Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Go back and read my post.  Faz made it clear that in some instances we can 'sell' the club to players who might otherwise have negotiated higher wages elsewhere.  This can be down to personal reasons such as travel or connections within the club.

For example, you name checked Mark Durnan.  I'm pretty sure he and Frank McEwan now have a mutual connection to the Fire Brigade and signing part-time suited the big man.  Secondly, Finlay Gray announced yesterday that he's happiest when playing his best football and that was a factor in re-signing.

But all that aside, and with the greatest respect, you really don't know the club's financial situation.  I've sat in several meetings with the club Board and without going into any details here both they and the team management have a huge struggle on the finances and deserve huge respect for the promotion and early pre-season signings.

I've been very critical of certain aspects of DFC but most of that concerns the ownership situation and it's effects on the team.  But I'm happy to set the record straight on this issue.

Farrell obviously knows his own budget but how on earth can he even begin to remotely know the budget of other teams? Especially to the point he’s firing it into Microsoft Office and presenting it to fans. It sounds like David Brent stuff.

10 hours ago, FifeSons said:

This. It should always be the home kit. Last season's variant was quite cool, though I didn't buy that or the away strip. The black and gold horizontal bands are unbeatable.

Some gammony Englishman in a pub once asked me if it was a West Germany kit. I should've said yes in hindsight.

Heinz Zeit surely?

7 hours ago, GoTeamGaz said:

I’m not sure it was unique, at the same time Dundee Utd, Raith, Stirling Albion & a couple other teams had white with 2 bands across the chest. Also noticed Partick Thistle & East Fife dropped the stripes and played in all yellow for a few years. I wonder if it was more to do with manufacturers available at the time and it’s just that ours coincidently happened at a successful time so became a “classic” design?

Timing was everything for the white strip. We’ve only worn a white strip for about 20 out of 150 years yet that’s the one that most people seem to relate to

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Go back and read my post.  Faz made it clear that in some instances we can 'sell' the club to players who might otherwise have negotiated higher wages elsewhere.  This can be down to personal reasons such as travel or connections within the club.

For example, you name checked Mark Durnan.  I'm pretty sure he and Frank McEwan now have a mutual connection to the Fire Brigade and signing part-time suited the big man.  Secondly, Finlay Gray announced yesterday that he's happiest when playing his best football and that was a factor in re-signing.

But all that aside, and with the greatest respect, you really don't know the club's financial situation.  I've sat in several meetings with the club Board and without going into any details here both they and the team management have a huge struggle on the finances and deserve huge respect for the promotion and early pre-season signings.

I've been very critical of certain aspects of DFC but most of that concerns the ownership situation and it's effects on the team.  But I'm happy to set the record straight on this issue.

Fair enough OKI, I’ll defer to your knowledge on the inner goings on at DFC. But I will always take anything Stevie Farrell has to say with a very large grain of salt. He’s got a history of talking absolute nonsense and I think this is more of his sales patter. Ultimately though it doesn’t really matter. The club’s back in L1 and we have a buffer from the dreaded trapdoor.

18 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Timing was everything for the white strip. We’ve only worn a white strip for about 20 out of 150 years yet that’s the one that most people seem to relate to

Having looked at historical kits I make it about 28 seasons from 1969 until now (including this coming season). Given that almost all of the white ones look great and almost all the yellow/gold ones since then look fairly average to rubbish (bar one or two crackers) it’s obvious why people have more of a connection to the white. The yellow ones from 2000 onwards are proper Sunday league stuff and I was genuinely embarassed firing some of them on to play fives! I always associate the comeback of the white kit with our Championship run which has been by far my favourite years following the club, I imagine that will be the same for most 20-40 year olds.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Farrell obviously knows his own budget but how on earth can he even begin to remotely know the budget of other teams? Especially to the point he’s firing it into Microsoft Office and presenting it to fans. It sounds like David Brent stuff.

He actually explained that yesterday as well.  Meetings, eh ?

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

2 hours ago, microdave said:

Fair enough, I wasn't really aware of that so not unique. Although I was talking mainly about my lifetime which began after that. 

Sorry man, read that back this morning and it reads like a criticism of your post - also wasn’t born, what I meant was that I’d be interested if anyone knew why we went all white because I also don’t know!

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

He actually explained that yesterday as well.  Meetings, eh ?

Well quite obviously not everyone could make yesterday’s meeting, hence why folk are asking. Either share the knowledge or just avoid mentioning it if you don’t want to answer the invetiable questions.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Having looked at historical kits I make it about 28 seasons from 1969 until now (including this coming season). Given that almost all of the white ones look great and almost all the yellow/gold ones since then look fairly average to rubbish (bar one or two crackers) it’s obvious why people have more of a connection to the white. The yellow ones from 2000 onwards are proper Sunday league stuff and I was genuinely embarassed firing some of them on to play fives! I always associate the comeback of the white kit with our Championship run which has been by far my favourite years following the club, I imagine that will be the same for most 20-40 year olds.

Good point about it being associated with the Championship years as well as the seventies team. And yes the problem with a lot of the strips that were white was they are yellow and not gold

I’m 40 and firmly in the gold with black pinstripes camp, despite not having been around to see it.

The only reasonable explanation is nostalgia for my Subbuteo team which is weird to realise 🙃

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Well quite obviously not everyone could make yesterday’s meeting, hence why folk are asking. Either share the knowledge or just avoid mentioning it if you don’t want to answer the invetiable questions.

Are you being serious ?  WTF do you think I've been trying to do ?  But I can't help it if the facts of the meeting don't match the preconceived notions.  

Maybe you should put down the Gammon Juice 😉

18 minutes ago, GoTeamGaz said:

Sorry man, read that back this morning and it reads like a criticism of your post - also wasn’t born, what I meant was that I’d be interested if anyone knew why we went all white because I also don’t know!

I didn't take it as a criticism so no worries there. I also don't know why the white kit came about but I'm in the really glad they did camp.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Are you being serious ?  WTF do you think I've been trying to do ?  But I can't help it if the facts of the meeting don't match the preconceived notions.  

Maybe you should put down the Gammon Juice 😉

You responded to my completely normal question, wondering how Farrell knows other teams budgets with a weird “meetings eh?” instead of just telling us how he knows this information. I have no preconceived notion, I am genuinely curious, and astounded that Stevie Farrell knows what other teams budgets are and I’m curious how he’s able to present that as fact at a meeting.

FWIW our tartan hating vindaloos drink pints of gammon, not the juice from gammon itself.

57 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You responded to my completely normal question, wondering how Farrell knows other teams budgets with a weird “meetings eh?” instead of just telling us how he knows this information. I have no preconceived notion, I am genuinely curious, and astounded that Stevie Farrell knows what other teams budgets are and I’m curious how he’s able to present that as fact at a meeting.

FWIW our tartan hating vindaloos drink pints of gammon, not the juice from gammon itself.

OK.  He knows this information because he said that the managers pretty much know what is going on across the clubs and there is regular dialogue between them.  He never stated that his flipchart entries were factual in any sort of conclusive way, but the presentation certainly had the look of a fairly accurate guide and even us fans know that, for example, Forfar and Cove benefit well from external financial input.  AFAIK Dumbarton don't, and certainly not from the current ownership.

I don't think anyone yesterday felt they were watching some point-scoring exercise by Faz, more a pretty fair take on reality.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Feels nice being back in a forum with more than just Neilly and a few Clyde fans for company.

That’s been one of the main things I’ve missed since the championship and league 1 years. Nothing more disappointing than going to have a read through of the discussion between us and our opponents fans only to realise there still isn’t a match thread and it’s Friday afternoon.

Glad to be amongst the better posters again.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Feels nice being back in a forum with more than just Neilly and a few Clyde fans for company.

and @WC Boggs

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Need to change all my bookmarks to the L1 forum now. What an inconvenience!

my new mantra when logging in is "Scottish League 1 General Forum, Scottish League 1 General Forum, Scottish League 1 General Forum" for the next week or so.