Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

and @WC Boggs

my new mantra when logging in is "Scottish League 1 General Forum, Scottish League 1 General Forum, Scottish League 1 General Forum" for the next week or so.

Yeah, but I like you.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

Reading between the lines, I think @Neilly quite likes us too. We've got a good balance of decent, realistic posters, and zoomers who fall for his weekly backing of Uncle Faz.

You're a good bunch, what's not to like?  Onwards and upwards people and with all good will, please don't come back.

Well I was in the Highland wilderness all weekend with a phone that died around 11am yesterday, so this is some catch up for me. Firstly, to have Finlay and Orsi signed back up is great news, I do worry a bit about Orsi's effectiveness at this level but he's clearly very good for the dressing room and a player that can change a game for us. I really could not see Finlay staying. With the rumours of him wanting to leave for FT football last summer I felt he'd take his chance of free agency but the wee man just loves the Sons. A fucking tremendous week from Faz and the team. Well done to all.

The new guys. Cammy Clark is a strange one, Faz says he's always been impressed by him but I can't say I'm in the same camp. I feel Orsi has roasted him a number of times and his red card doesn't appear to be an isolated incident of silliness looking at his fair play record. However, I suspect he will be there to challenge Young for left back, he'll get his chance to impress. On Mikey Miller, when I was making up my "former Son to return" rumour it was sparked by me seeing him on the PFA Scotland free agent website, but never did I actually think we would sign him! He was a player I liked a lot when he had him previously and I'm hopeful he'll be a good squad addition again. I do wonder if this means (if Lynas signs) that we won't be dipping into the market for another centre back  - we would then have Durnan, Crighton, Shiels, Lynas and Miller who could all feasibly play there, so I would understand the logic but we all saw the difference last year when we used unfamiliar players back there, so that would worry me slightly. 

On the strips, I quite like the home one and feel they've done a decent job with the sponsor. The away kit is another of these off the shelf Scotrail seat designs which I don't have a lot of time for, but really who cares about an away top. 

What a buzz to be back in League 1!

Was away to order last season’s away strip since it’s on sale for £20, but delivery is £6! Might have to wait on the home one going on sale, too, to save on the delivery :lol:

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Cammy Ballantyne has been mentioned on here as being linked with us.Is it the same CB that played for us in the Championship?He was with Montrose latterly.

I think it’s the one that was at Clyde last season. The other one (the one who was with us) is at Airdrie. I think!*

*According to transfermarkt  both are out of contract. Though who knows how accurate that is!

Edited by FifeSons

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I think it’s the one that was at Clyde last season. The other one (the one who was with us) is at Airdrie. I think!*

*According to transfermarkt  both are out of contract. Though who knows how accurate that is!

Think I would prefer the one we had..he was really goos as far as I remember.Not sure we need someone in that position though.

6 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Think I would prefer the one we had..he was really goos as far as I remember.Not sure we need someone in that position though.

I could be totally wrong/have imagined this, but I’ve a feeling he didn’t enjoy his time here. Anyone ITK please feel free to correct me on that.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Cammy Ballantyne has been mentioned on here as being linked with us.Is it the same CB that played for us in the Championship?He was with Montrose latterly.

He was a RB, but nope. The other one.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

I could be totally wrong/have imagined this, but I’ve a feeling he didn’t enjoy his time here. Anyone ITK please feel free to correct me on that.

Aye, he never really gelled into the team and went back to Montrose. I think you may be right and there were comments about being back home or something along those lines when he got back to Monstrose. Decent wee player right enough. IIRC, he covered a fair bit at LB for us, despite being a RB.

43 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Aye, he never really gelled into the team and went back to Montrose. I think you may be right and there were comments about being back home or something along those lines when he got back to Monstrose. Decent wee player right enough. IIRC, he covered a fair bit at LB for us, despite being a RB.

He never really gelled? I thought he was one of our best players that season :lol:

9 hours ago, microdave said:

I didn't take it as a criticism so no worries there. I also don't know why the white kit came about but I'm in the really glad they did camp.

It was our away kit for a couple of seasons in the sixties prior to becoming the home one.

(White second kits with a couple of coloured bands across the chest were a thing back then. Rangers had one, so did Raith. West Ham and Bradford Park Avenue too. An Alloa home kit of the time was gold with two black bands.)

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He never really gelled? I thought he was one of our best players that season :lol:

I agree, he was a smashing player. But I didn't think he ever really settled in as part of the team and was glad to get away. Whether he didn't like being played out of position etc, I'm not sure. In the back of my mind, he was happy to get back to Montrose after that season.

Might be wrong though, my memory ain't what it used to be 😂

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

I agree, he was a smashing player. But I didn't think he ever really settled in as part of the team and was glad to get away. Whether he didn't like being played out of position etc, I'm not sure. In the back of my mind, he was happy to get back to Montrose after that season.

At the risk of sound like Stevie Farrell, I mean the "team spirit", as such 😆

Just now, squeezebox-son said:

Whether he was happy or not is a different question but he played 30 odd games for us that season and was one of the top performers. I don't think there was any questions of his attitude either, perhaps he wasn't impressed with his team mates or the management and felt a move back to Montrose was best.