Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm assuming the U20s lads have been given first team deals if they're named on the team sheets today? 

All the u-20s boys will likely be signed on dual contracts allowing them to play for both the 20s and the 1st team. It was one of the major selling points when the 20s league was set up. It’s the carrot that’s dangled to all boys at 20s level hence why so many clubs have plenty players! 

Noticed for the last couple of games a new guy doing the PA has Jim hung up the mic? New guy done well last couple of games a bit more enthusiasm when players enter field etc but would help if the speakers in the home end actually worked so we could hear properly the team sheet,half time draw etc my hearings bad enough at my age lol never mind half broken equipment. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Death, taxes and Airdrie scoring late winners in goalfests against us.

Is that four out of the last five games between the teams we’ve scored a late winner? We’ve been pretty fortunate in at least a couple of those too. 

I was quite impressed with Dumbarton today. Airdrie were very lethargic and the change of shape really didn’t work but I think a fair bit of that was down to Dumbarton. They kept their shape well when defending, always pressed our midfield and were very quick to get players on the counter when they did win the ball. Ultimately the subs, and Dumbarton tiring, changed the game but there won’t be many players in League One with the quality Ben Wilson or Rhys Armstrong showed today. 

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Findlay Gray play in person but I thought he was a superstar in the first half. I was surprised Dumbarton managed to keep him this summer but I think he’ll improve again with the challenge of playing at a higher level. Another centre back and Michael Ruth starting again and I think you’ll be absolutely fine this season.

Based on the two league cup games I've seen the last two Saturdays, I'm not sure I buy the 'mcguffie is a playmaker' patter. He doesn't work hard enough, track back or get about enough and when he gets the ball in key positions he frequently suffers from indecision and poor choices and we then lose the attacking impetus and possession. Time will tell but I remain to be convinced.

I enjoyed that today. I didn't actually ever think we were going to win because A) It's Airdrie B) It's us and C) We missed golden chances at 1-1, 3-1 and 3-2 that really have to go in when you're wanting to beat a good side from the league above. But it was really positive nonetheless.

Our shape looked really good in and out of possession. Players looked like they knew their roles and knew where their teammates would be. 

Yes Airdrie caused us problems defensively. But only really when they brought on their big group of subs - all four of whom would be stand out players at League One level. 

We were brave and bold to press a side who'd whacked eight past Los Pollos Hermanos midweek, and that very nearly paid off. I had expected us to sit in and try to contain Airdrie, but we took the game to them and it made for a really end to end watch. It was 4-3. But both sides could quite easily have scored at least six. In fact between the Carlo one-on-one, Hilton effort from close range and Ruth chance. We probably should've done.

As Mr November says above, Finlay Gray for the first 60 minutes or so was outstanding. He faded a bit as Airdrie brought on quality fresh legs, but he looks like he's taken a step over the pre-season on the ball. He was passing it more often, his dribbling was excellent and he was tenaciously winning back possession all game high up the park. His goal was richly deserved and a super hit.

He's one of a few players who look like they've maybe taken a step forward over pre-season to make an impression up a league.

Kalvin Orsi and Jinky Hilton are the other two. Orsi looks a far bigger threat on the left then he has done previously when he's gone out there. Standing up the cross for the second goal then winning the penalty (which did look a bit harsh) for the third.

Hilton meanwhile has probably been under the radar good since that howling performance away at Clyde in (I think) February. Where he spent 45 minutes passing the ball to the opposition before being hooked.

He led the line well, his link-up and hold up play were good and he showed a real poacher's instinct for the goal.

He's probably played not far off 50 games for us and I'm still not entirely sure what he is (is he best as an actual striker, a second striker, a false nine, a centre-mid, an attacking mid, a 'deep lying playmaker, I've not a clue) But he's someone who has improved a hell of a lot in his season or so with us. And he's got a lot of quality on his day. 

Negatives? Well we've conceded some very bad goals over the past two games. And we're our own worst enemy at times. We lost a goal from our own throw in today, almost did the same on Tuesday night and lost one this afternoon from an Airdrie corner that, in two passes, was back at the feet of their keeper.

Maybe it's just rustiness, a lack of sharpness, concentration or whatever. But it needs cutting out when the real stuff begins.

Michael Ruth, Faz said afterwards, is just a few weeks behind sharpness wise. And we could do with getting him up to speed pronto. And I thought both Div Wilson and then Ryan Blair struggled to impose themselves on the game in the way Sena and Finlay did.

That being said, we were playing against a side who will be battling for the top four positions in the Championship. And we gave them a right good game, so I'm feeling pretty upbeat after that today. I wasn't at EK, but it felt like a big step forward from QoS midweek. And there's no doubting we're creating chances - even if we're not taking as many right now as we should.

On 20/07/2024 at 20:35, Jan Vojáček said:

... We were brave and bold to press a side who'd whacked eight past Los Pollos Hermanos midweek ...

🤣👏

32 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Anyone know when is this thread is restarting ?

I was out on a totally unrelated to DFC job today and conversation got onto DFC. The person I was meeting mentioned she had the original articles of association for the football club as a Ltd company and a letter on the purchase of the land for Boghead.

I was looking over it and she said I was very welcome to it. So I took it and will be passing it on to Jim, but might be of interest on here.

PXL_20240725_181235546.thumb.jpg.b6430a6850ab63984f708996cbb964ca.jpgPXL_20240725_150728981.thumb.jpg.bf185ec5735ce157cbb404d2a505a997.jpg

I was not expecting us to sign a striker who made his English Premier League debut against Chelsea and then followed it up by playing against Man City the following week. Fair play :lol:

5 goals in 5 starts and 7 sub appearances for Queens last season isn't a bad return either.