Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Just back from the ground and noticed something which has slightly irritated me; the tenants are messy b*****ds. There were 40 people in attendance on Saturday for their game and their players have left water bottles and rubbish strewn around the park. Bugs me. The folk running the club and stadium already have too much to do, without having to clean up after Broomhill.

They were probably pissed off at losing 0-1 to Thornton Hibs in the South Challenge Cup, but your point is a good one and DFC needs to gently remind them of basic courtesy.

41 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Two good away wins at Glasgow Perthshire and Cambuslang in the last week for the Pale Ale 👏 

They've had a cracking turnaround. I was speaking to Alan Brown a week ago and he was sounding very scunnered with it. I semi-joked that they'd do the most Vale thing possible now by battering an unbeaten Glasgow Perthshire and dumping Cambuslang out the cup and here we are! Their squad is pretty much entirely homegrown too, really good stuff going on there. 

As for Peterhead. Meh. I like Balmoor and seen as we're not playing them in the league then I'll head up. But my God I wish I got paid travel expenses. I'd have doubled my income in six weeks :lol:

9 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Don't knock it, it's not long ago we didn't HAVE a 2nd string.

True! I remember what felt like several seasons in a row where we couldn't come close to filling a bench.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

For those of you who like to keep track of where ex-Sons get to, I noticed a certain Carlos Lyon in the background of the pictures I was sent from the Vale's game with Cambuslang Rangers on Saturday!

FCR_LEN_200824ValeofLeven21CambuslangRangers_90.thumb.JPG.7c8d82b1945eeea31958880613c75299.JPG

And Andy Geggan in midfield for Cambuslang, both were poor and The Vale ran out deserved winners against a league above. 

5 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

And Andy Geggan in midfield for Cambuslang, both were poor and The Vale ran out deserved winners against a league above. 

I didn't realise Andy was at Cambuslang these days. That kit would've been a major selling point for him I'd imagine :lol:

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Just back from the ground and noticed something which has slightly irritated me; the tenants are messy b*****ds. There were 40 people in attendance on Saturday for their game and their players have left water bottles and rubbish strewn around the park. Bugs me. The folk running the club and stadium already have too much to do, without having to clean up after Broomhill.

Aye that’s not on but we don’t exactly have the place looking in pristine condition ourself (unless of course it has been dealt with recently, I haven’t been down this season). All around the track area was a dumping ground for all sorts of shite and general area outside the stadium just looks a bit of a mess. Not that any of that excuses them leaving rubbish lying around of course, I’d just like to see a bit of pride taken in our stadium.

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye that’s not on but we don’t exactly have the place looking in pristine condition ourself (unless of course it has been dealt with recently, I haven’t been down this season). All around the track area was a dumping ground for all sorts of shite and general area outside the stadium just looks a bit of a mess. Not that any of that excuses them leaving rubbish lying around of course, I’d just like to see a bit of pride taken in our stadium.

The stuff around the perimeter of the park is pitch covers, training goals and the like. Not particularly neat looking, but it's where it's needed. I agree that the car park area could do with a few days of folk chopping away weeds, shrubs, bushes etc. Perhaps an idea for @Sons Fan? Try and drum up some volunteers? I'm happy to contribute my brush cutters and landscaping equipment plus my labour.

It's very important to remember that at Dumbarton (as well as at other clubs) there isn't a staff to deal with things like landscaping and carpark maintenance etc, nor is there a budget to bring in contractors for same. This absolutely is not unique and is an issue all smaller clubs around the world deal with. Volunteers are the lifeblood of DFC (again, also true of many other clubs) and they enable the day to day operations of the club to function. There are only three or so paid (part time) members of staff. All of the others are outside contractors or volunteers. If you're not keen on the condition of the foliage in the carpark (for example), or the cleanliness of the seats in the stand, then nip down to the stadium and get stuck in. There are no barriers to volunteering, the overworked staff and volunteers would be thrilled if someone or several sooeones wanted to empty the bins, sweep the stand, replace the paper towels in the bogs, clean the seats, litter pick the grounds, call local businesses to enquire about sponsorship/investment or any one of a thousand other small, essential, thankless tasks. Helping out also engenders a closeness to the club. Clubs like DFC don't exist in a vacuum where the fans are disconnected and only turn up on match days to be entertained. We're not Man United. If you want to see something changed, then change it. You get to effect the difference you desire, the club gets assistance, the staff and volunteers get a helping hand and you feel more connection to your team. Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

It's very important to remember that at Dumbarton (as well as at other clubs) there isn't a staff to deal with things like landscaping and carpark maintenance etc, nor is there a budget to bring in contractors for same. This absolutely is not unique and is an issue all smaller clubs around the world deal with. Volunteers are the lifeblood of DFC (again, also true of many other clubs) and they enable the day to day operations of the club to function. There are only three or so paid (part time) members of staff. All of the others are outside contractors or volunteers. If you're not keen on the condition of the foliage in the carpark (for example), or the cleanliness of the seats in the stand, then nip down to the stadium and get stuck in. There are no barriers to volunteering, the overworked staff and volunteers would be thrilled if someone or several sooeones wanted to empty the bins, sweep the stand, replace the paper towels in the bogs, clean the seats, litter pick the grounds, call local businesses to enquire about sponsorship/investment or any one of a thousand other small, essential, thankless tasks. Helping out also engenders a closeness to the club. Clubs like DFC don't exist in a vacuum where the fans are disconnected and only turn up on match days to be entertained. We're not Man United. If you want to see something changed, then change it. You get to effect the difference you desire, the club gets assistance, the staff and volunteers get a helping hand and you feel more connection to your team. Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth.

Saw the length of this post and just assumed it was BallochSons!

11 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Not one mention of ice hockey, so clearly not him.

Also, we all (rightly imo) give BallochHunsFan stick for his long, rambling posts, but nobody ever calls out @Jan Vojáček for the same thing! He gets away with it because he's young and posh IMO. Clear classism in action. Bet he's a member of a rotary club. Whatever the f**k that is.

11 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Also, we all (rightly imo) give BallochHunsFan stick for his long, rambling posts, but nobody ever calls out @Jan Vojáček for the same thing! He gets away with it because he's young, handsome and posh IMO. Clear classism in action. Bet he's a member of a rotary club. Whatever the f**k that is.

FTFY

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Not enough paragraphing.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Also, we all (rightly imo) give BallochHunsFan stick for his long, rambling posts, but nobody ever calls out @Jan Vojáček for the same thing! He gets away with it because he's young and posh IMO. Clear classism in action. Bet he's a member of a rotary club. Whatever the f**k that is.

Aye, but you just scroll past his.

43 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I’m officially starting the petition for @Jan Vojáček to reveal which of our players spent four days on holiday in South Africa because they didn’t realise how far away it was…

I've been wanting to ask that too. Get it telt Jan.

Do we think we are likely to see a centre back incoming in the next week or will we have to wait until next month? I wouldn't want to rush into anything but, at the same time, it would be nice to get them in ASAP. Allowing us to get our best 11 settled and in the park every week.

Given what Faz said about having a couple of targets who had featured for their parent clubs etc, I'd like to believe that those clubs have an idea if they will let them go out now. I know the loan market is open until the end of September for us but I'm hoping we aren't 4 weeks or so away from finding, what will hopefully be, our first choice CB.