Sons' sorrow

A lot of people are saying the players (or some of them) don't look interested. This comes around by us having a small squad and players are guaranteed a start, a bit of competition wouldn't go amiss. Im not particularly worried as yet, this league cup competition/set up is more of an inconvenience for clubs like us, so treating it like pre-season is perfectly fine in my opinion.
Let Stevie finish his business and bring is a few more and we will see where we are when we take on Dunfermline. Couple of young up and coming loanees would do nicely

What's this about Dumbarton historically treating cups cheaply?

Leaving aside what you did to us in the Scottish Cup last season, is it really the case that cups haven't been taken very seriously?  As a fan, such an approach would really piss me off.  

Leaving aside what you did to us in the Scottish Cup last season, is it really the case that cups haven't been taken very seriously?  As a fan, such an approach would really piss me off.  

We treat the Scottish cup seriously and that's it.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Aye, I can understand it to an extent given the importance of the league, but I'd take relegation and a cup final I think, even if we didn't win it.

I'm guessing, even though you lost it, you'll never forget the 2008 Scottish Cup final, and the Ramsden's cup win must've been a cracking day. It might not be a prestigious cup, but any national cup win shouldn't be sniffed at.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye, I can understand it to an extent given the importance of the league, but I'd take relegation and a cup final I think, even if we didn't win it.

I'm guessing, even though you lost it, you'll never forget the 2008 Scottish Cup final, and the Ramsden's cup win must've been a cracking day. It might not be a prestigious cup, but any national cup win shouldn't be sniffed at.

All true.

We tend to have this debate when Scottish Cup ties roll round amidst league games.  For me, there's no debate.  The Challenge Cup, I can see bigger sides treating lightly, but not the others.

Even a run to a quarter-final of a bigger cup is not inconceivable for a side like Dumbarton and would be a memorable, big deal.  

We seem to have been conned into this belief that only the humdrum league can matter.  It annoys me.  

45 minutes ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Well that was my last game in charge of your pitch. I've had some highs and lows in the last couple of years but thoroughly enjoyed it. All the best for the season ahead and hope you guys stay up once again. Cheers Buster.

All the best, the pitch was looking marvellous last night and Motherwell game - lots of positive comments from press, Mark McGhee etc, 

I'd just like to quash this notion that DFC as a club don't take cup competitions seriously. Our chairman does not sit each manager down and demand we do shite in the cups, it's each individual managers choice as to how they approach the game.

None of our gaffers have ever claimed they weren't taking them seriously. Maybe in the past they have made other competitions a priority but not one of them has ever claimed we wouldn't take a game seriously.

Our historically poor record in cups is being mistaken for us not giving a f**k.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd just like to quash this notion that DFC as a club don't take cup competitions seriously. Our chairman does not sit each manager down and demand we do shite in the cups, it's each individual managers choice as to how they approach the game.

None of our gaffers have ever claimed they weren't taking them seriously. Maybe in the past they have made other competitions a priority but not one of them has ever claimed we wouldn't take a game seriously.

Our historically poor record in cups is being mistaken for us not giving a f**k.

To be fair describing it as "still pre-season" is coming pretty close to saying we don't really care.

In fact, didn't Ian Murray say something similar as well? I seem to remember him saying he'd treat the Stranraer game as an extra friendly a few years back!

Obviously it's not a club decision, but I think every manager we have had in recent years has valued league safety/promotion over a cup run. Put it that way!

To be fair describing it as "still pre-season" is coming pretty close to saying we don't really care.

In fact, didn't Ian Murray say something similar as well? I seem to remember him saying he'd treat the Stranraer game as an extra friendly a few years back!

Obviously it's not a club decision, but I think every manager we have had in recent years has valued league safety/promotion over a cup run. Put it that way!

Stevie has given nunerous interviews in recent days/weeks claiming he's taking it seriously. That may well be a load of shite but if he says it, we need to believe him.

There is absolutely no denying that the fact in lands in mid July does effectively make it an extended pre-season type of situation. Especially when teams are still experimenting and are short on numbers.

Personally I don't give a f**k about this and/or the challenge cup. I don't enjoy the format, the start date or the fact we've been lumped in the northern section. I don't like the fact the challenge cup involves colt teams. I'm all for us doing well in cups but these new formats only make it more difficult for the likes of ourselves (although East Fife are doing a good job of blowing that out of the water) and, with the challenge cup in particular, completely de-value it. That's strictly a personal opinion which I don't imagine many would agree with.

1 hour ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Well that was my last game in charge of your pitch. I've had some highs and lows in the last couple of years but thoroughly enjoyed it. All the best for the season ahead and hope you guys stay up once again. Cheers Buster.

cheers for all your hard work DR - the pitch was looking as good as I remember last night

are you off somewhere else now? any particular reason why you're leaving?

Edited by aftershocker

I would willingly go along with both the refusal to panic and the concept of using the League Cup ties as a sort of trial run if what I witnessed last night wasn't so utterly shambolic.  And straight off, everyone who is blowing smoke up the East Fife arse can stop now; sure they thoroughly deserved their victory, and it could and probably should have been by a greater margin, but the fact is that they were basically a well-drilled, fit and hard-working side, but no more than that.

And I'm sorry Moonster and others, that's the deeply worrying thing - they simply didn't have to be.  We fielded a team of experienced professionals who, even if they were playing in slightly different positions or roles, should have been capable of much, much more in cohesive football terms than we were treated to.  Everyone here is now seems to be clinging to the prospect of loanees turning things round but they should be signed to augment the basic core unit, not as bloody alchemists.

I suspect however that as per usual with DFC there may be a lot more to it than meets the eye, but whatever the reason we need to try and move quickly from a collection of mis-fitting players into some semblance of a team.

Disappointing to hear this. The pitch is looking in great nick.

Who will be taking over?

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm all for us doing well in cups but these new formats only make it more difficult for the likes of ourselves (although East Fife are doing a good job of blowing that out of the water) and, with the challenge cup in particular, completely de-value it. That's strictly a personal opinion which I don't imagine many would agree with.

I don't really understand your point in relation to the League Cup.

The Challenge Cup changes are damaging to the chances of the teams who regularly compete I suppose, but I really don't see how the same can be said of the League Cup.  You're welcome not to like such changes of course, but the bit about "more difficult for the likes of ourselves", I don't get.

I can see why in terms of the club's stature and the manager's reputation, the League might be prioritised.  It's surely in the interests of fans though, that the League Cup is treated seriously, regardless of when games fall in the calendar.

Disappointing to hear this. The pitch is looking in great nick.

Who will be taking over?

Two gardeners that have never worked on pitch before. I'm training them up until the Peterhead game then they are on their own. They had an eye opener yesterday watching me get it ready. Don't think they realise what they have taken on. Hopefully they will be fine.

Our strongest 11 is probably a decent enough side. For me its:

-------------------------Ewings--------------------------

Pettigrew-----Buchanan------Wright------Docherty

-------------------------Barr-------------------------------

Smith--------Stevenson--------Todd----------Stirling

-----------------------Thomson----------------------------

Unfortunately that team hasn't been available because of injuries to Ewings, Wright and Barr. What we've seen is that we're poorly organised at this stage of our preparation, that Fleming is in terrible shape and can't play any kind of defensive role and that Gallagher really isnt good enough for any role at this level. We have absolutely nothing on the bench that can change a game if we need to and we've got nobody to provide competition, or even basic cover, for our first team.

We still have time to sort it out but question marks remain over whether or not we have the means to do so. Theres no need to panic yet, but a degree of concern is only natural. Regardless of the fitness of our players, the least we should expect is a degree of organisation and that hasn't been there in our 2 cup games so far.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Our strongest 11 is probably a decent enough side. For me its:

-------------------------Ewings--------------------------

Pettigrew-----Buchanan------Wright------Docherty

-------------------------Barr-------------------------------

Smith--------Stevenson--------Todd----------Stirling

-----------------------Thomson----------------------------

Unfortunately that team hasn't been available because of injuries to Ewings, Wright and Barr. What we've seen is that we're poorly organised at this stage of our preparation, that Fleming is in terrible shape and can't play any kind of defensive role and that Gallagher really isnt good enough for any role at this level. We have absolutely nothing on the bench that can change a game if we need to and we've got nobody to provide competition, or even basic cover, for our first team.

We still have time to sort it out but question marks remain over whether or not we have the means to do so. Theres no need to panic yet, but a degree of concern is only natural. Regardless of the fitness of our players, the least we should expect is a degree of organisation and that hasn't been there in our 2 cup games so far.

I'd agree with all that. The reason we lost yesterday evening wasn't because we aren't as good a team (as OKI I think it was said) East Fife weren't anything hugely special, but they were very well set up, they knew their roles and they had a clear structure in the team which they stuck to. We weren't, and at this stage of the season that may well be understandable, but the fact EF have managed it and we haven't is reasonably concerning.

In the situation we are in we need to have a solid gameplan, and be rigid, hard to break down at stick with it. We weren't yesterday, East Fife were and that's why they won at a canter.

I don't really understand your point in relation to the League Cup.

The Challenge Cup changes are damaging to the chances of the teams who regularly compete I suppose, but I really don't see how the same can be said of the League Cup.  You're welcome not to like such changes of course, but the bit about "more difficult for the likes of ourselves", I don't get.

I can see why in terms of the club's stature and the manager's reputation, the League might be prioritised.  It's surely in the interests of fans though, that the League Cup is treated seriously, regardless of when games fall in the calendar.

Like I said it's a personal opinion, the early start, the incomplete squads etc just makes it feel a hell of a lot like pre season games. Therefore I couldn't really give a f**k.

I also acknowledge that my opinion is probably a minority opinion. I'd like to take it seriously but I just don't really care all that much.

I still care about lacklustre performances mind you :lol: those annoy me, in any competition!