Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd describe that as a successful summer recruitment drive from us. It was looking worrying for a while in terms of numbers but we've added some real quality towards the end of the window. I'm feeling a lot better about things now compared to a month or so ago.

My only real gripe is that we have 3 goalkeepers on the books who must be on a fairly decent wage. It looks like we wont be releasing Mark Brown but what's the rule on loans outside the window? Am I right in saying there's another cut off point before it becomes emergency loans only?

Not much we can do about having three keepers. Brown is on a two year deal and we had to sign Ewings up when we did. It's pleasing that Aitken realised we needed something better and didn't just decide to go with Brown as that would have been the easy option given the two year deal 

20 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Not much we can do about having three keepers. Brown is on a two year deal and we had to sign Ewings up when we did. It's pleasing that Aitken realised we needed something better and didn't just decide to go with Brown as that would have been the easy option given the two year deal 

We could've given Mark Brown a one year deal last year and we wouldn't be in this position. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I still don't quite understand why we gave him a 2 year deal, it would always lead to this situation if he wasn't playing well, made worse by the fact that him and the manager clearly don't like each other. I imagine he's on a decent wedge, when we have to run with a smaller squad that money could be put to better use.

Does anyone know if Brown still attending training and games or is he basically being paid to sit at home all season?

I'd certainly hope he is attending training at the very least. No matter if you're getting picked or not, that's the bare minimum.

Does anyone know if there has been an actual bust-up, or are people just, understandably, surmising?

If there has been, what's it been about? Surely this isn't the first time in his career that he's been dropped and is having to play second fiddle?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We could've given Mark Brown a one year deal last year and we wouldn't be in this position. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I still don't quite understand why we gave him a 2 year deal, it would always lead to this situation if he wasn't playing well, made worse by the fact that him and the manager clearly don't like each other. I imagine he's on a decent wedge, when we have to run with a smaller squad that money could be put to better use.

Does anyone know if Brown still attending training and games or is he basically being paid to sit at home all season?

Presumably Brown insisted on a two year deal before committing to signing and as we were keen to sign him we agreed. Seemed like a good idea at the time

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Presumably Brown insisted on a two year deal before committing to signing and as we were keen to sign him we agreed. Seemed like a good idea at the time

I suspect we had banked on getting David Mitchell on a two year deal, and then maybe felt we had to act fast to get someone decent in and just chucked the same deal at him when Mitchell went to Dundee.

Just a complete guess mind you.

I agree with people saying that ultimately our signings have been successful on the face of it so far.

Stevie seems to have recruited well and the squad, overall, seems to have a better balance to it.

Yes, we'd like a stronger, better option at right-back and a forward who'll score 20-goals this season. But what we do have is a decent squad that so far (pre season and whatever that diddy cup is called, because that all means nothing in the grand scheme of things) looks much more likely to compete in games.

Last season we went 1-0 down and it was game over. Now, certainly I, have more confidence that the game isn't over. And a win and a clean sheet against Dundee United has made me very hopeful that we can at least make a very good fist of again, exceeding everyone else's expectations this season and avoid relegation.

16 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'd certainly hope he is attending training at the very least. No matter if you're getting picked or not, that's the bare minimum.

Does anyone know if there has been an actual bust-up, or are people just, understandably, surmising?

If there has been, what's it been about? Surely this isn't the first time in his career that he's been dropped and is having to play second fiddle?

I genuinely don't know the ins and outs of it, but purely based on the fact that Jamie Barclay was given a spot on the bench over Brown would suggest that him and Aitken don't see eye to eye. When he then starts posting things on twitter aimed at the squad/management, do we really want someone there every week who thinks the team's a joke?

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

It did seem like a good idea, but football doesn't always work out the way we expect and it's for that reason that I think 2 year deals are dodgy, especially for part time clubs where every penny is important. Brown effectively has us by the balls, it's possible that we tried to move him on but he didn't want to go, he might be happy sitting there not playing and picking up a wage, he's done it most of his career.

Agree with others that our squad is looking pretty good at the moment and definitely has a better balance to it than last year, however I do wonder about the financial side of things. We have a squad of 21 players, with one of those out on loan - Stevie was adamant we could only run with a squad of 18 and since we reached that number we've added good quality loan players. Perhaps we've had investment from a sponsor to allow that, which would be great, but the picture painted 6 weeks ago doesn't really resemble the painting we have now.

2 hours ago, revendarkness said:

Don't we have four keepers Martin,ewings,brown and Barkley?
Or did I read it wrong

Yep, as above. Jamie Barclay was initially signed for a month, but signed for an extra week to be on the bench until Ewings was fit again. The fact he signed for the extra game rather than put Mark Brown on the bench says a lot in my opinion...

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Agree with others that our squad is looking pretty good at the moment and definitely has a better balance to it than last year, however I do wonder about the financial side of things. We have a squad of 21 players, with one of those out on loan - Stevie was adamant we could only run with a squad of 18 and since we reached that number we've added good quality loan players. Perhaps we've had investment from a sponsor to allow that, which would be great, but the picture painted 6 weeks ago doesn't really resemble the painting we have now.

Regarding the financials, I am confident that the club is running in the prudent manner we would expect even with the increased squad. I would be extremely disappointed if we were taking any risks. I propose that Stevie's comments around a max squad size of 18 may have been a bit of bluffing. Given the way the Stanton deal went through (Hibs holding out for more money and us digging our heels, as was suggested), by holding the party line that we have limited budget it may have helped in dealings with other clubs.

Plus its technically only 20 players as Todd will only be paid expenses due to being on an amateur contract.

7 minutes ago, KennyWilsonsMoustache said:

Regarding the financials, I am confident that the club is running in the prudent manner we would expect even with the increased squad. I would be extremely disappointed if we were taking any risks. I propose that Stevie's comments around a max squad size of 18 may have been a bit of bluffing. Given the way the Stanton deal went through (Hibs holding out for more money and us digging our heels, as was suggested), by holding the party line that we have limited budget it may have helped in dealings with other clubs.

Plus its technically only 20 players as Todd will only be paid expenses due to being on an amateur contract.

I agree, after over spending last year I doubt we'd be putting ourselves in serious danger with the budget this year, but I don't doubt players like Joe Thompson and Sam Stanton will be on a wedge far higher than we can pay. I guess it comes down to how much of it we're paying. 

Fair enough on Todd, forgotten he wasn't taking a wage. 

On 9/1/2016 at 22:08, The Moonster said:

I agree, after over spending last year I doubt we'd be putting ourselves in serious danger with the budget this year, but I don't doubt players like Joe Thompson and Sam Stanton will be on a wedge far higher than we can pay. I guess it comes down to how much of it we're paying. 

Fair enough on Todd, forgotten he wasn't taking a wage. 

Todd's "expenses" will amount to a wage.  There is no way he will be turning out to play for expenses only.  The same happened with Tiffoney at Alloa.