Sons' sorrow

Last night got me thinking about how long our poor away form really stretches for. Turns out it's a wee while.

To give some perspective the team from the Alloa game in 2014 was this:

Danny Rogers

David Van Zanten Andy Graham Scott Taggart Kieran MacDonald

Mark Gilhaney Chris Turner Scott Agnew Mitch Megginson

Garry Fleming Chris Kane

Subs included Colin Nish, Lee Mair and Mark 'Ching' Mclaughlin. Just Garry and Jaz are still here from the squad that turned up that day.

11 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Last night got me thinking about how long our poor away form really stretches for. Turns out it's a wee while.

To give some perspective the team from the Alloa game in 2014 was this:

Danny Rogers

David Van Zanten Andy Graham Scott Taggart Kieran MacDonald

Mark Gilhaney Chris Turner Scott Agnew Mitch Megginson

Garry Fleming Chris Kane

Subs included Colin Nish, Lee Mair and Mark 'Ching' Mclaughlin. Just Garry and Jaz are still here from the squad that turned up that day.

And with dross like that in the team, nae wonder we're never in the top 4...............:lol:

I'm assuming we're all against this farcical colt teams in the league idea, so a fan on here has made up a petition against it. Plz get it signed and shared on Facebook/Twitter etc. This genuinely cannot happen.

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-professional-football-league-stop-b-teams-or-colt-teams-being-admitted-to-the-spfl

Don't think anybody is deluded enough to think that signing a petition on its own would be enough to halt this scheme, but it is one of a range of things fans need to do if we're to make our voices heard.  Of course even if fans of the smaller clubs do make it perfectly clear to their clubs and the SPFL they don't want this it might well still happen, but it's the only thing we can do to at least put pressure on our own clubs to oppose it.

From what Doncaster said yesterday it seems most of the premiership sides are already on board with this idea.  They can't push it through on their own, but it'll need most of the other 30 clubs to say no for this scheme to be shelved.  The fans of those clubs have to put pressure on their chairmen and boards and make sure they understand how unpopular this idea is within their fanbases.  Not just by signing a petition obviously, but through fans groups, trusts etc and communicating directly with those involved.  I'll be writing to Leann Dempster to urge her to vote against this idea.  She'll probably just feed my letter through the shredder and forget about it, but if several hundred Hibs fans send similar letters then maybe it'll give her pause for thought.

All this might not work and we might get colt teams anyway, but it's all we can do.  And it has worked before, in 2012 it was this sort of fan pressure that scuppered the then SPL's plans to admit newco Rangers into the top flight.

1 hour ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Don't think anybody is deluded enough to think that signing a petition on its own would be enough to halt this scheme, but it is one of a range of things fans need to do if we're to make our voices heard.  Of course even if fans of the smaller clubs do make it perfectly clear to their clubs and the SPFL they don't want this it might well still happen, but it's the only thing we can do to at least put pressure on our own clubs to oppose it.

From what Doncaster said yesterday it seems most of the premiership sides are already on board with this idea.  They can't push it through on their own, but it'll need most of the other 30 clubs to say no for this scheme to be shelved.  The fans of those clubs have to put pressure on their chairmen and boards and make sure they understand how unpopular this idea is within their fanbases.  Not just by signing a petition obviously, but through fans groups, trusts etc and communicating directly with those involved.  I'll be writing to Leann Dempster to urge her to vote against this idea.  She'll probably just feed my letter through the shredder and forget about it, but if several hundred Hibs fans send similar letters then maybe it'll give her pause for thought.

All this might not work and we might get colt teams anyway, but it's all we can do.  And it has worked before, in 2012 it was this sort of fan pressure that scuppered the then SPL's plans to admit newco Rangers into the top flight.

Hear, hear, and what my fellow Sons fan Moonster should be aware of is the fact that when it comes to doing the right thing against the prospect/mirage of turning the proverbial thin dime certain parties within his own club's Boardroom can be very easily swayed by the latter.

I would hope and expect that The Sonstrust will be in the vanguard to vehemently oppose any such dreadful proposal.

All the fans of the clubs who oppose it need to stand up and boycott the games against the Colt teams if it goes ahead. A lot of people have voted with their feet in the abomination that is the league cup but a mass walk out with games played in front of absolutely no one will make the authorities take notice.

9 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Hear, hear, and what my fellow Sons fan Moonster should be aware of is the fact that when it comes to doing the right thing against the prospect/mirage of turning the proverbial thin dime certain parties within his own club's Boardroom can be very easily swayed by the latter.

I would hope and expect that The Sonstrust will be in the vanguard to vehemently oppose any such dreadful proposal.

Vote with your feet, not an easily corruptable petition.

8 hours ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Well you can only vote with your feet once this has already been made surely?  Good idea if it comes to pass but not until then.

Not sure what's 'corruptable' about this petition to be honest either.

I voted with my feet by staying clear of the Irn Bru cup. A petition online which can be signed many times by one person can be easily discredited. If it's proposed then speaking to your club directly is the way to go, your club has a vote to stop it whereas an online petition can be laughed at and ignored.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I voted with my feet by staying clear of the Irn Bru cup. A petition online which can be signed many times by one person can be easily discredited. If it's proposed then speaking to your club directly is the way to go, your club has a vote to stop it whereas an online petition can be laughed at and ignored.

Well I'm glad you voted with your feet in the Irn Bru cup, a lot of folk did but that didn't stop Doncaster and the SPFL thinking it a great success.  If everyone had done the same I'm sure they would've taken notice but it's very difficult to persuade every fan to not go support their team.  I'm not saying it's a totally bad idea but it is sort of the ultimate protest a fan can make and getting people to boycott a game for whatever reason in meaningful numbers has never been easy.  You only have to look over the history of the Scottish game in the past decade to see how hard it has been to organise such action.  If it gets implemented then fine, that's definitely the way to go but I can't see masses of fans boycotting games beforehand.

I'm not pretending a petition is an ideal solution; I've said before I'd prefer it if fans contacted their clubs directly.  However most probably won't and I think some are more likely to take a minute to sign a petition than twenty minutes or however long writing a letter or email to their club.  I'd hope they could find the time to do both.

The petition requires your name and email.  Not saying that's a watertight method of preventing fraud but I really can't see many folk taking the time to enter multiple email addresses.  Anyway it's just a method of gauging how strong the feeling against this proposal is.  If a lot of folk sign it then it'll at least be an indicator of widespread concern.  Maybe they will laugh at it and ignore it but it's just an attempt to, you know, do something.  I'm not sure why you're so hostile to the idea to be honest.  

5 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Selective voting with your feet (ie the Betfred Cup and U20 fixtures) is pique; completely voting with your feet would be the only meaningful protest.

Indeed but how many fans would be willing to give up supporting their club. It was clear from the attendances in the first two rounds that fans did not want to attend games against colt sides. However that will make no difference. The 'trial' of having colt sides has been described in the press as a success. If that is a success I'm not sure how they would describe a failure. Yes the fans should make it be known to their clubs that they are against this but don't forget that the lower league clubs didnt put up much objection to the under 20s appearing in the Challenge Cup. It will likely happen at some stage but at least if fans protest it might stop the under20s being parachuted straight in to spfl2 and having to start at EOS/SOS level. 

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Belter of a ragin' dad post on the Facebook preview for the Hibs match.

I thought that had all blown over. Clearly not.

"The sooner we have our U20s blood line restored up an running the better. Your own web site says the Youth at Dumbarton FC are our future."

Utterly shocked to see his page full of Rangers photos :rolleyes: Maybe if people like him supported diddy clubs like us then we could afford to bring through the future Nicky Devlin, Tony Wallace and Martin McNiff...