PS4 or Xbox

Ludo*1

387 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the PS4 reveal last night made me feel like some sort of gaming dinosaur. It seemed to be mostly a bunch of really creepy looking guys telling me a bunch of ways in which I could/should be more social. For me the decent substance was revealing, essentially, PS3 games with really nice levels of background detail. Finding a way to kill loading times is the other positive of the tech for me.

I've never owned a PS console, for a variety of reasons. I'll wait to see what MS has to offer, but at this point I'll probably go for whichever one turns out to be cheaper.

For the record my console history is:

Commodore 64, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U (Gamegear, GBA, DS, 3DS).

I love Nintendo, but at this point that's something seperate from what I'll be looking for in either the PS4 or new xbox. I play games every day, but it occurs to me that I haven't bought a 360 game for over a year. So it really could go either way.

I think the fact that the announcement to the PS4 had a lack of substance last night was telling. Sony are really relying on the PS4 working for them to come back from the brink here and anything given to Microsoft in this early battle could have a devastating effect IMO.

Watching the PS4 reveal last night made me feel like some sort of gaming dinosaur. It seemed to be mostly a bunch of really creepy looking guys telling me a bunch of ways in which I could/should be more social. For me the decent substance was revealing, essentially, PS3 games with really nice levels of background detail. Finding a way to kill loading times is the other positive of the tech for me.

I've never owned a PS console, for a variety of reasons. I'll wait to see what MS has to offer, but at this point I'll probably go for whichever one turns out to be cheaper.

For the record my console history is:

Commodore 64, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U (Gamegear, GBA, DS, 3DS).

I love Nintendo, but at this point that's something seperate from what I'll be looking for in either the PS4 or new xbox. I play games every day, but it occurs to me that I haven't bought a 360 game for over a year. So it really could go either way.

You had a GameCube, therefor you are a top bloke despite now wanting a PS4. GameCube is amazing I still have mine.

You had a GameCube, therefor you are a top bloke despite now wanting a PS4. GameCube is amazing I still have mine.

Mario Doubledash = Dogs bollocks

Super smash bros and Star Fox decent as well

Good to see that Sony have confirmed that 2nd games will be playable and a permanent internet connection won't be required. The lack of any disc based backwards compatibility is a bit of a bummer though.

I thought they DID say second hand games would be blocked. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

They have done what Microsoft did last time, basically blown away everyone by announcing massive specs, but doing it BEFORE the competition do, no matter how much better Microsofts are.

I thought they DID say second hand games would be blocked. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

They have done what Microsoft did last time, basically blown away everyone by announcing massive specs, but doing it BEFORE the competition do, no matter how much better Microsofts are.

They have confirmed that used games definitely will be playable.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-exec-playstation-4-doesnt-block-used-games

I haven't decided yet to be honest. It will probably come down to price and which exclusives I think I will prefer the most. At the moment PS4 is the likely winner for me, especially if Microsoft continue to charge for playing online.

Anyway, as we are talking console/Gaming history

ZX Spectrum 48K

ZX Spectrum 2

Mega Drive

PC (Consistently had a gaming PC since but not the same one of course)

N64

PS1

Gamecube

Xbox 360

PS3

Wii

I've had all three Play Stations so far and have always liked them so unless the new Xbox is something really special I'll probably go for a PS4 but when the price goes down a bit.

As for my gaming history,

Commodore 64

Sega Megadrive

Amiga 1200

Gameboy

PS

PS2

PS3

With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another," Livingston said. "So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/26/eidos-president-next-xbox-uses-watermarked-discs.aspx

I know it's not a fully trusted quote but the President of Eidos, Ian Livingstone is more trustworthy than your internet rumour.

That would be a suicidal business decision on Microsoft's part, especially since it is confirmed that Sony won't be adopting that policy. I think the Eidos guy might just be going on the same unfounded rumours that everyone else is though, I doubt Microsoft would reveal potentially damaging info like that to 3rd parties ahead of their own big reveal.

That would be a suicidal business decision on Microsoft's part, especially since it is confirmed that Sony won't be adopting that policy. I think the Eidos guy might just be going on the same unfounded rumours that everyone else is though, I doubt Microsoft would reveal potentially damaging info like that to 3rd parties ahead of their own big reveal.

The Wii U doesn't have single use discs and the PS4 won't, so the next xbox won't either. To do so would be insane. To make a console dependant on its online connection would cause endless problems and microsoft wouldn't force a percentage of their community to have to opt out of a xbox if they don't have a online connection.

Until microsoft announce the new xbox we won't know anything. But I'm starting to save up for mine now

I think the fact that the announcement to the PS4 had a lack of substance last night was telling. Sony are really relying on the PS4 working for them to come back from the brink here and anything given to Microsoft in this early battle could have a devastating effect IMO.

They've done exactly what they had to do and targeted people who love games, the old ps2 crowd. Microsoft will basically come out and say "we've got netflix and youtube and all of that stuff, we play blurays, we've got spotify and we've got the same games as playstation". Unless they've got something massive thats been a very well kept secret then they've already lost this battle.

I plan on switching because a) my problem with the ps3 was that everything crashed from running off of dodgy hardware (now they are pretty much the same PC level stuff) and b) xbox exclusives have gone downhill this year; I always disliked gears of war, halo ha just turned into call of duty: space, forza is good but monotonous and the arcade titles I can think of are sub par (with the exception of minecraft)

Archived