NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Yeah I think so too. It would dilute the achievement and we would regularly see bad teams reach the playoffs. Every team in the league would be branded as a "potential playoff team".

Yea if you look at the NBA or NHL over 50% of the league makes the playoffs. That just seems daft too me

What's your lads thoughts on the possibility of expanded playoffs?

Personally I dislike the idea. The setup is perfect the way it is.

I think I agree it should stay the same as it is now. We've seen some terrible teams in the playoffs the last few years like the Bengals, Texans & the Colts we're never a playoff team the last two seasons. Not to mention the 2010 7-9 Seahawks. I suppose that's what a weak division can do.

I understand the position from the other side as well. I'm sure I made a post on it a few months ago. The league has expanded twice (5 teams if you count the Browns) since the number of playoff teams has increased.

Plus the Titans have had dominant seasons and we always seem to get horsed out by an inferior team. I wanna be the inferior team doing the horsing for a change.

ETA: Yeah, so I guess I'm not quite sure how I feel. I like the fact that the team with the overall best record in each conference would be the only team with a bye. Would be much more of an advantage thru the playoffs.

Edited by Dee4Life1893

I actually like the expanded playoffs as long as they only go to 14 and not 16 or more. 14 would be pretty cool because then it would be a real reward to be the top team in your conference being the only team to have the week off. Plus 6 games over 1 weekend at the start would be awesome. Plus at 14/32 you're still under half so it's still an achievement to make the playoffs.

I actually like the expanded playoffs as long as they only go to 14 and not 16 or more. 14 would be pretty cool because then it would be a real reward to be the top team in your conference being the only team to have the week off. Plus 6 games over 1 weekend at the start would be awesome. Plus at 14/32 you're still under half so it's still an achievement to make the playoffs.

More or less agree with this. Fourteen with only the best team in each Conference would be fine, though I don't mind if they stay at twelve. Sixteen entrants, with no real reward for the teams that finished better and no byes for anybody, would be shite.

Expanded playoffs can f**k off. The quality of the teams going to postseason is arguably too variable as it is.

However it's an absolute stick on to happen. The only way I might be ok with it is further league expansion ( that means la/ Oklahoma/ Alabama not London)

Dont really get why everyone is so against expanded playoffs, what theyre talking about is only an extra 2 teams. I'd have been delighted to see Arizona and (I think) Pittsburgh make them last season and I think it would have made for more exciting games than we ended up with.

I don't have any issues with expanded playoffs but would prefer if it is part of a league expansion piece. I don't have an issue with a new London team and I'd rather that than moving a franchise over here.

However I don't think its a massive issue adding in two more teams. From last season you'd have had the Steelers and the Cardinals in a 14 and the Ravens and Bears in a 16. Not exactly woeful teams. The bears lost out because of a last minute TD.

Edited by Simplistic

Dont really get why everyone is so against expanded playoffs, what theyre talking about is only an extra 2 teams. I'd have been delighted to see Arizona and (I think) Pittsburgh make them last season and I think it would have made for more exciting games than we ended up with.

It would have made a mockery of post season football if that pathetic Steelers team had somehow scraped through. It's meant to be a reward for regular season play. When half the league gets in the regular season becomes meaningless like in other US sports.

I don't have any issues with expanded playoffs but would prefer if it is part of a league expansion piece. I don't have an issue with a new London team and I'd rather that than moving a franchise over here.

However I don't think its a massive issue adding in two more teams. From last season you'd have had the Steelers and the Cardinals in a 14 and the Ravens and Bears in a 16. Not exactly woeful teams. The bears lost out because of a last minute TD.

You didn't watch much Steelers football last year. They were woeful believe me.

If you want to take your argument to its logical conclusion that we expand because some teams only just missed out then just let everyone in. Teams miss out, that's what makes it exciting. The bears only just missed out because the nfc north went back and forth all season and it went down to the wire. That's exciting football.

It would have made a mockery of post season football if that pathetic Steelers team had somehow scraped through. It's meant to be a reward for regular season play. When half the league gets in the regular season becomes meaningless like in other US sports.

I agree. The main reason I can't get into Basketball and Hockey, is the ridiculous amount of games played, just to take out half the field. Football has the greatest set up, and IS the greatest sport on the planet. Don't change it! No to expansion of any kind, when I'm at it also. 32 is the perfect number.

They had a good offense that were fun to watch when I saw them, I'd rather see them than the 3 man Chargers team try to mount a challenge. If it's a reward for regular season play then why isn't it just the top team from every division that go through? Surely that would weed out the 'lesser' competition, no?

I like the playoffs but for me it's always just been an exciting way to decide the league winners because it allows for upsets to happen and sets up tense games. If you want the team who are consistently best to win the league every season then it would have to be like soccer football league tables where most points wins, and nobody wants that...

My point wasn't that it was harsh that they didn't make it more than I don't think adding 2 more would see that big a drop in quality.

I agree that it is great as it is, but I bet there were those saying that at every expansion or change along the way.

Ray Rice looking at a three match ban for his assault on his now wife.

Got off easy to a stupid degree. How is the punishment for assaulting someone, let alone his girlfriend, a sixth of the punishment for smoking? Bloody ridiculous (although that gives him time to reclaim some bloody fantasy value for me -_- )