NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Red zone is amazing, no adverts! What more do you want??

I will record the broncos games and fast forward the adverts but I have zero interest in watching say  patriots v panthers. Red zone allows me to watch the whole league at one time.

its not for everyone but to say its for people who don’t like the NFL is certainly a controversial take. 

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

Red zone is amazing, no adverts! What more do you want??

Full game coverage, warts and all. I have no interest in watching 10% of an NFL game.

its not for everyone but to say its for people who don’t like the NFL is certainly a controversial take. 

I see it as no different to only watching football goals highlights, the Home Run Derby, or editing out 98% of a Golf tournament and only watching the sunk putts. Yes, it's undeniably still American Football, but it's not an American Football game, it's not an accurate depiction of the sport, and completely omits the bulk of what is actually interesting about it. 

If you like NFL, why would you choose to ignore 90% of an NFL game?

If you like NFL, you probably have a team, and would rather watch 20% of their game (likely including all the key moments) than 0% if you don't want to pay for Gamepass.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

15 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If you like NFL, you probably have a team, and would rather watch 20% of their game (likely including all the key moments) than 0% if you don't want to pay for Gamepass.

Well the thing is, NFL sticks up in-play highlights on their own site, and it does include all the key moments, not just the ones that happen to take place at either end of the field.

I get it's different for each person, but no, I genuinely don't want to watch 20% of a Chargers game. The odd time I'm abroad or busy and can't actually watch the full game, I either watch the full thing delayed, or don't bother watching it at all. It's impossible to follow the context and flow of an American Football game by only watching a small portion of it, which is why it doesn't interest me at all and I just don't bother. Seen far too many games that end up low scoring, 14-10 or something, where the winning team has been utterly battered for 60 mins but won courtesy of a pick-six and their one productive Offensive possession. If you watch the condensed highlights, it'll look like a balanced 50/50 game, but the full game is anything but in reality.

If one team's DL is completely abusing the interior OL, or there's a CB shutting down one side of the field, I want to see that, not just the TD's, FG's etc.

Well, I find it pretty easy to follow the flow of absolutely loads of games on there, I think Redzone is fantastic. Only time I'm not watching is if the Bears are the main game being televised in full simultaneously, but each to their own. 🙂

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Well, I find it pretty easy to follow the flow of absolutely loads of games on there, I think Redzone is fantastic. Only time I'm not watching is if the Bears are the main game being televised in full simultaneously, but each to their own. 🙂

I never watch Red zone for two reasons.  One I want to see more than the red zone action and two it shows the scores from other games which can ruin my night.

I normally watch the Colts whenever they are on and on Tuesday watch the 5 mins highlights from the other games except for two or three where I choose to watch the 40mins condensed every play highlight (well nearly every play as they sometimes miss some including scoring plays!)

I can't go that long without finding out the scores. I generally book the day off when Bears are a late night game because if I try to watch it after work the next day I will always forget and end up finding out the score by being a twat.

The thing is, a lot of NFL games are decided by something that looks mundane, like a QB getting dropped on a 3rd & long at midfield that ends a drive, forces a change of possession, and tilts it from 50/50'ish, to a 90% win probability, or a dumb coaching decision that doesn't immediately stand out as a clunker but can be looked at contextually and pointed to as the reason for a loss. Because they're not a scoring play, a lot of highlights will neglect to show them, and you aren't getting a true picture of why the game was won/lost. Sure, you are seeing the plays that put points on the board, but those often aren't the genuinely most impactful plays.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Each to their own, the things that @strichener doesn't like about Red Zone are the things that i do like about it.

I don't mind seeing the not very favourable teams completing their scoring drives, the favourable teams get a lot more coverage when no one is in the Red Zone. I don't mind seeing the scores, the only one I don't is the Bronco's game but i am usually watching that live so it doesn't matter.

As i have said above, out side of the playoffs and superbowl, I have no interest in watching the whole game of other teams but i do like the sport in general and red zone gives me the best opportunity to watch all.

I can understand people struggling with the early window when there is 8-9 games going on, the late window with 3-4 games is a much easier watch.

Seems like more and more people are convinced these stupid K.O. changes are just going to see the ball repeatedly thumped through the EZ come Week 1

I see absolutely no reason to do anything else when the ball comes out to the 30, and average pre-season Drive start so far is 28.3 yard line. Why bother taking any risk? Thumping it through the EZ reduces injury risk to practically nil, and you don't even have to practice it, just let the K exercise his leg.

18 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

@Swarleyis Darrel Taylor any good? Bears have acquired him from Seahawks for a 6th Round Pick.

Seems to be a Pass Rusher, who struggles against the Run.

Yeah, online opinion seems to be mixed. He wasn't a regular starter and didn't make much of an impression in the 2 or 3 seasons in Seattle. Maybe a change a scene/scheme will help him improve. 

Hilarious how Minter's 3rd string preseason D already looks more competent, effective, and organised than anything Staley vomited up over the past 3 years, even with a load of Probowl-calibre talent on the field.

Expecting a fair bit of roster churn in LA. I think we'll pick up a backup QB because Stick has been absolutely terrible both at the tail-end of last season and throughout this preseason. 

Ridder punted in Arizona

Chargers have traded a conditional 6th to the Falcons for Taylor Heinicke.

It's such a change to have a GM who proactively addresses glaring holes on the roster, and doesn't persist with garbage/projects for years on end despite them producing nothing. So much of Telesco's crap has been dumped, and it's great to see. How he got the Raiders gig is beyond me, because outside of no-brainer 1st rounders who fall into his lap, he can't draft for shit, and his roster construction is hopeless.