NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Do you remember when I said Wilkerson was going to blow up? (Every week, I know :P). Well, watch out for Quinton Coples. He is going to get 10+ sacks next year. An absolute beast. He's been injured and just switched position so the numbers aren't there this season but his play over the last 4-5 weeks has been outstanding. Here's some pictures of one game where he destroyed the Saints in Week 9...

post-19701-0-56931500-1386966929_thumb.j

He Beats the LT right off the snap with a swim move and has a free shot at Brees.

post-19701-0-40559300-1386966932_thumb.j

Coples blows up this end around on 4th and inches. He gets in the backfield and holds his ground through the fake hand off to the RB and anticipates the end around. 8 yard loss and pretty much seals the win for the Jets. This is my favourite play of the season.

post-19701-0-19157500-1386966935_thumb.j

Coples initially gets chipped by the RB on the outside so dives back in and uses a devastating spin move to get a clear path to the QB leaving the LT dazed and confused.

post-19701-0-91071600-1386966937_thumb.j

Last but not least, he swoops inside on the stunt into the face of Brees, knocks his pass down and gives Wilkerson a chance to intercept it.

He can swim, spin, stunt and even destroy plays in the run game. He's only going to grow into the position and get even better. Just thought you should know that this is how I spend my Friday nights.

I dont believe that for a second, that'll be to get more teams trying to tap him up and boost his price. I dont think theres any shortage of top QBs that could take his place though.

Pretty sure Texans would go QB too, thats been their biggest weakness for a long time. Although I wouldnt be shocked to see them pick up a RB early on too, dont think Tate has really taken his chance to step up in his contract year and I cant remember the last time Foster had a full season under his belt

Tate was always going to leave at the end if the season. Some team will give him an RB1 contract which prices out the Texans. They still have Foster and Dennis Johnson which is more than enough talent in the backfield. I also think they're set at TE and WR too. Daniels, Graham, Johnson and Hopkins. I also really like backup TE Ryan Griffin.

Great situation for a QB to enter.

Tate was always going to leave at the end if the season. Some team will give him an RB1 contract which prices out the Texans. They still have Foster and Dennis Johnson which is more than enough talent in the backfield. I also think they're set at TE and WR too. Daniels, Graham, Johnson and Hopkins. I also really like backup TE Ryan Griffin.

Great situation for a QB to enter.

Aye QB must be their priority but I'd be surprised if there arent at least rumours of a trade away for Arian Foster. Hes good sure but he's up there with Darren McFadden as an injury concern. The lad out of Auburn (Mason?) is the only guy I've seen that looks worth a high pick at RB but Cleveland will probably take a shot on him in the first before Houston get their second pick.

Aye QB must be their priority but I'd be surprised if there arent at least rumours of a trade away for Arian Foster. Hes good sure but he's up there with Darren McFadden as an injury concern. The lad out of Auburn (Mason?) is the only guy I've seen that looks worth a high pick at RB but Cleveland will probably take a shot on him in the first before Houston get their second pick.

I don't think a RB will be taken in the first for the foreseeable future. However, Bishop Sankey and Melvin Gordon seem to be amongst the top RB's this year. I prefer Gordon personally.

I don't think a RB will be taken in the first for the foreseeable future. However, Bishop Sankey and Melvin Gordon seem to be amongst the top RB's this year. I prefer Gordon personally.

Yeah maybe not, I think if any do it's more down to teams desperate need for the position (Cleveland, Carolina or maybe even New England for example) than the talent available that'll see them either reach or move up to get one of the better options early on.

Yeah maybe not, I think if any do it's more down to teams desperate need for the position (Cleveland, Carolina or maybe even New England for example) than the talent available that'll see them either reach or move up to get one of the better options early on.

I don't see how Carolina or New England are desperate for RB's. Cleveland might not take one because they need a QB first and foremost and they almost got burned by Richardson (until the Colts were duped into returning a 1st rounder). I also don't think there is a 1st round talent at RB this year.

I don't see how Carolina or New England are desperate for RB's. Cleveland might not take one because they need a QB first and foremost and they almost got burned by Richardson (until the Colts were duped into returning a 1st rounder). I also don't think there is a 1st round talent at RB this year.

Well Williams is on the wane as a talent and Stewart is just no use anymore, Tolbert is a one trick pony and Barner not being given a chance despite their problems makes me think he's not highly thought of. In NE I dont think Blount or Bolden are the answer there, neither has really done enough as a playmaker and Ridley surely has used up his chances. Vereen is still top class but very much set in his role as a pass catcher.

There probably isn't given the risk that comes with that position and the rest of the quality on offence this year, but for a team in need the better guys might be worth picking up early on just to make sure they dont slip out of their hands. Someone like Ben Tate or Roy Helu who has been a good backup would probably be a safer bet than some of the guys coming out in the draft but is he worth the financial risk for teams that need quality?

Well Williams is on the wane as a talent and Stewart is just no use anymore, Tolbert is a one trick pony and Barner not being given a chance despite their problems makes me think he's not highly thought of. In NE I dont think Blount or Bolden are the answer there, neither has really done enough as a playmaker and Ridley surely has used up his chances. Vereen is still top class but very much set in his role as a pass catcher.

There probably isn't given the risk that comes with that position and the rest of the quality on offence this year, but for a team in need the better guys might be worth picking up early on just to make sure they dont slip out of their hands. Someone like Ben Tate or Roy Helu who has been a good backup would probably be a safer bet than some of the guys coming out in the draft but is he worth the financial risk for teams that need quality?

Tolbert has been excellent in all facets of the game this year. He won't give you 50+ yard TD runs, but can certainly chip in with long gains, short yardage situations and is a good catcher out the back field. I just don't see Carolina overhauling their RB's (Williams and Stewart) to bring in an unknown quantity.

Ridley will emerge at the top of the depth chart (Vereen aside). His fumbling issues are being overplayed by Belichick IMO. Adrian Peterson fumble the ball 20 times in his first 3 season in the league and Ridley only has 9.

Good point. There is a talented crop of FA's this year. Ben Tate, MJD, Darren McFadden, Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, Rashard Mendenhall, Donald Brown and Toby Gerhart are all available.

Tolbert has been excellent in all facets of the game this year. He won't give you 50+ yard TD runs, but can certainly chip in with long gains, short yardage situations and is a good catcher out the back field. I just don't see Carolina overhauling their RB's (Williams and Stewart) to bring in an unknown quantity.

Ridley will emerge at the top of the depth chart (Vereen aside). His fumbling issues are being overplayed by Belichick IMO. Adrian Peterson fumble the ball 20 times in his first 3 season in the league and Ridley only has 9. 

Good point. There is a talented crop of FA's this year. Ben Tate, MJD, Darren McFadden, Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, Rashard Mendenhall, Donald Brown and Toby Gerhart are all available.

Carolina have a running back in Cam Newton! Think he has outscored the running backs in rushing yards in more than one occasion this year! I think they are nervous of him doing it for injuries but I guess it is his game.

Tolbert really was Carolina's go to guy in the red zone. Had him in fantasy and he did well for me although the yards were low. Jennings is an interesting free agent as he has done well in an Oakland team that is hardly spectacular.

Interesting article on the rise of ‘Discount QB’s’:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949504579262533034273384

Exactly why Seattle has a championship window. The front office realise this and went after Percy Harvin. Didn't quite work out with his injuries this season but he may still make an impact in the playoffs.

I disagree with the article that the Seahwaks, 49ers and Dolphins will just bin their QB's when it comes to renewing their contract. Franchise QB's are still hard to find and these teams were lucky to find a cheap one for the first 3-4 years. You don't just give them up because of a big cap hit. That would be ridiculous.

I also don't think that Wilson has had a good OL to throw behind. They had a lot of injuries and Wilson created plays himself to escape severe pressure. Another reason why you don't get rid of a franchise QB - he can mask other weaknesses in the team.

No chance Seattle will ditch Wilson, he's a phenom.

Right, is it just me, or are QBs really short-sighted? They ask for however many millions, 20 say, which is a ridiculous amount of money considering sponsorship as well, I mean they could take 5 million off that and get a good WR or two good O-linemen which would make their job easier and earn them another contract. But I suppose they're just greedy.

No chance Seattle will ditch Wilson, he's a phenom.

Right, is it just me, or are QBs really short-sighted? They ask for however many millions, 20 say, which is a ridiculous amount of money considering sponsorship as well, I mean they could take 5 million off that and get a good WR or two good O-linemen which would make their job easier and earn them another contract. But I suppose they're just greedy.

It's a job... You need to look after number one. Spending that money elsewhere might help, it might not. Either way, it's better in your pocket than somebody else's.