NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

First ever post on this part of the forum I think.

I was at a coaching event at Hampden yesterday and Gregor Townsend was speaking. He showed a video of Benjamin Watson stopping a touchdown by just making a superb lung-bursting run to catch the other guy right on the line.

I assume this is quite a famous bit of D-fence (thats how you Yanks do it eh?). What are the thoughts of the NFL experts?

ETA - Sorry I can't upload video, browser at work doesn't let me on Youtube.

Edited by Dindeleux

It was a good play but if I'm not mistaken, the Broncos scored a touchdown on the very next play and it didn't affect the game whatsoever. There are better defensive plays on a weekly basis but that one is a freak occurrence which is why it's memorable.

It was a good play but if I'm not mistaken, the Broncos scored a touchdown on the very next play and it didn't affect the game whatsoever. There are better defensive plays on a weekly basis but that one is a freak occurrence which is why it's memorable.

Why is it a freak occurrence? I would have assumed that people would always make the chase back. Or is it just due to how far he travelled?

First ever post on this part of the forum I think.

I was at a coaching event at Hampden yesterday and Gregor Townsend was speaking. He showed a video of Benjamin Watson stopping a touchdown by just making a superb lung-bursting run to catch the other guy right on the line.

I assume this is quite a famous bit of D-fence (thats how you Yanks do it eh?). What are the thoughts of the NFL experts?

ETA - Sorry I can't upload video, browser at work doesn't let me on Youtube.

Why is it a freak occurrence? I would have assumed that people would always make the chase back. Or is it just due to how far he travelled?

Yeah, it was about to be a 100 yard interception returned for a TD and he got stopped on the 1 yard line.

It was a better play than he was given credit for because he actually forced a fumble through the end zone which should have resulted in a touch back.

c***s. I'm still bitter about that.

Best defensive play I can remember was when the Seahawks punter (or kicker) managed to clip Nate Washingtons heels just as he was about to be clean through. I think it might've been around 2009.

Haha as much as I like Dan Hanzus as a personality I wouldnt be taking any stories from him without a big handful of salt :lol:

Yeah but any excuse for Spain to use his Nicholas Cage gif in the off season is a winner for me.

I think it warrants mentioning that Heath Miller has retired from play.

Regardless of your feelings on the Steelers, you have to recognise a very good player and pro. He's been overshadowed by Gronkowski and Graham in an era of the game obsessed with fantasy-fuelled stats, but that guy is a proper player.

Not the greatest athlete in the world but did everything the position traditionally demanded at a high level and stepped up for the Steelers in big moments and I feel he deserves a moment of recognition.

Yeah but any excuse for Spain to use his Nicholas Cage gif in the off season is a winner for me.

tumblr_m0gxaxbHi81rqg8fco1_500.gif

The Texans have been the expected landing spot for ages. Been saying it for about a month now myself

It's probably very likely, I've been kinda expecting it.

Edited by Spain

Regardless of your feelings on the Steelers, you have to recognise a very good player and pro. He's been overshadowed by Gronkowski and Graham in an era of the game obsessed with fantasy-fuelled stats, but that guy is a proper player.

Not the greatest athlete in the world but did everything the position traditionally demanded at a high level and stepped up for the Steelers in big moments and I feel he deserves a moment of recognition.

Yep, was a good consistent performer for years, just looking at his stats and this was the first season he had averaged under 10 yards per catch.

I'm a Steelers fan (I know, I know) but only because my sister married a Pittsburger and he took me to Heinz field when I was over there but had no idea about American Football. I liked crowd chanting "Heeeeeeath" every time he caught the ball, was a good atmosphere which I didn't expect. Great experience and great blue collar player which the 'yinzers' loved.