NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

This thread has really died this last little while.

So with Free Agency having basically ended as a spectacle minus one or two, mainly veteran players, who do we rate as the cliched winners and losers so far this offseason?

After the Dumervil debacle I'm almost tempted to make Denver losers despite being very impressed by almost every other move they made.

Miami is just such a confusing club to get a handle on but I wasn't impressed by them really.

Kansas City are a similar story.

Cardinals have been a joke.

Seattle lookes to have killed it particularly if the can use their remaining picks to draft as well as they have of late.

I think Baltimore will actually be fine and that Dumervil move was a perfect fit.

St. Louis and New England have had decent winters too and the Rams could be my 'sleeper' if they nail this draft. *Cough* Tavon Austin.

Seahawks, 49ers and Chiefs winners for me.

As for my team I'm still undecided although the acquisition of Dumervil and, to a lesser extent, Canty have made me feel a bit better. Defensively I think we will be hoping to pick up a couple in the draft and also hoping that Ladarius Webb can stay healthy and I'd like to see Courtney Upshaw step up if given an opportunity.

Offensively, losing Boldin is a massive blow and Jones and Smith will really need to step up unless Ozzie and Harbaugh have something up their sleeves in the draft. I'm still worried about losing Pitta as I feel he and Boldin were Flacco's best options down the stretch and to lose them both would be dissapointing. I worry about the options Flacco is going to have next year and with so much transition all over the roster it's going to be very hard to emulate last years achievements.

It's funny the different impressions people get of things.

Broncos, Seahawks and Chiefs win. Ravens, Raiders and Jets lose.

I feel the Jets have done okay considering. For one salary, Colon can come in and play LG or RT. Cris Collinsworth was very complimentary of his play last season. Antonio Garay played upfront on a San Diego defense which was top five against the run last year. Mike Goodson is a young back who deserves a chance somewhere and with his ability to catch out of the backfield he could be a really nice fit for Mornhinweg. If Rex has a plan for a fit and healthy Antwan Barnes then I'm sure he'll be very productive. And that guy can hit.

I think that working with basically both hands tied behind their back, New York have done alright. The subtraction of a lot of veterans has naturally left them younger and hopefully leaves them in a better cap position this time next year. What the Jets will be judged on though is who they get in the draft and what they do with Revis. I don't think any team faces a more critical draft than NY.

Seahawks, 49ers and Chiefs winners for me.

As for my team I'm still undecided although the acquisition of Dumervil and, to a lesser extent, Canty have made me feel a bit better. Defensively I think we will be hoping to pick up a couple in the draft and also hoping that Ladarius Webb can stay healthy and I'd like to see Courtney Upshaw step up if given an opportunity.

Offensively, losing Boldin is a massive blow and Jones and Smith will really need to step up unless Ozzie and Harbaugh have something up their sleeves in the draft. I'm still worried about losing Pitta as I feel he and Boldin were Flacco's best options down the stretch and to lose them both would be dissapointing. I worry about the options Flacco is going to have next year and with so much transition all over the roster it's going to be very hard to emulate last years achievements.

I'm still high on the Ravens after the initital shock to see a bigger exodus than expected from the Champs. If you look at the key positions on that defense, and basically the key positions to defending the pass in the game today they have some of the best players in the game manning them.

Interior passrush: Ngata.

Outside linebackers: Suggs, Dummervil.

Corner: Lardarius Webb.

That's a great bunch of guys to build around. Certainly you'd want to get a bit stouter in the middle and address the safety position. The Ravens have a first, second and two thirds in the draft. One of Ogletree, Te'o or Minter will be there at 32. Maybe they even feel Greene or Brown can play ILB in a 3-4. Then I'd say that there's a half chance of one of Elam, Reid or Cyprien being there for you in the second. It's a deep receiver class so maybe you take one in the third to try and offset Boldin's loss. Then with the compensatory pick I'd be looking to get a little younger on the DL. Maybe you add Charles Woodson for a year beside your rookie safety?

The Ravens are always one of the teams who seem to do well in the draft and I'm sure Newsome will do the same again.

I don't think we've done that bad either and I like what Idzik has done in a bsd situation. But if you look at our outs and our ins, an already thin roster is even thinner. The guys we've signed are all potential players with injury histories (Barnes aside).

I don't think we've done that bad either and I like what Idzik has done in a bsd situation. But if you look at our outs and our ins, an already thin roster is even thinner. The guys we've signed are all potential players with injury histories (Barnes aside).

Yeah there's no getting away from that but I've seen the Jets absolutely slated by the media and it's quite unjust and ill-informed (as per) imo. The positive way to look at it would be that you know guys like Smith and Scott couldn't really hack it much longer and though that's left a squad of unknown guys, one or two might emerge and you've gotten younger.

I've seen the Jets slated at picking number one overall next season. I don't see that at all. If there's one thing Rex will do it's get them to fight and give everything and I reckon their record will at least be comparable to the 6-10 just gone.

Yeah there's no getting away from that but I've seen the Jets absolutely slated by the media and it's quite unjust and ill-informed (as per) imo. The positive way to look at it would be that you know guys like Smith and Scott couldn't really hack it much longer and though that's left a squad of unknown guys, one or two might emerge and you've gotten younger.

I've seen the Jets slated at picking number one overall next season. I don't see that at all. If there's one thing Rex will do it's get them to fight and give everything and I reckon their record will at least be comparable to the 6-10 just gone.

I agree with everything you've said here. Articles and tweets on the Jets all seem to be the same repetitive pessimistic shite. Even some of the beat writers are insufferable.