NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

David Fales > Johnny Football

Tajh Boyd > Johnny Football

I'm sure we'll see in the coming year that Manziel is not a top 3 pick. I was watching him a lot the other day and it's blatantly obvious.

No it doesn't. It highlights the rare talent that Revis is.

I'm a Bucs fan now.

Don't kid yourself. They'd rather try and make Revis the top paid defender of all time rather than draft a guy at a fraction of the cost on the rookie wage scale.

Tampa clearly don't like anyone that much at thirteen. Now you have to find two near the top of a weak draft worth investing in.

So while if fit, Tampa will be enjoying Revis' services, New York will have a one-dimensional pass rusher, an already overrafed guard who played exclusively in excellent company or an undersized wide receiver who can't play outside.

Poor deal for NYJ to me. They should have insisted on a pick next year to package a deal for a QB next year or have gotten someone like Jacksonville or Oakland involved this year and gotten into the top three for Jordan or Lotulelei who could be special players.

Don't kid yourself. They'd rather try and make Revis the top paid defender of all time rather than draft a guy at a fraction of the cost on the rookie wage scale.

Tampa clearly don't like anyone that much at thirteen. Now you have to find two near the top of a weak draft worth investing in.

So while if fit, Tampa will be enjoying Revis' services, New York will have a one-dimensional pass rusher, an already overrafed guard who played exclusively in excellent company or an undersized wide receiver who can't play outside.

Poor deal for NYJ to me. They should have insisted on a pick next year to package a deal for a QB next year or have gotten someone like Jacksonville or Oakland involved this year and gotten into the top three for Jordan or Lotulelei who could be special players.

Any other year Revis' value is the same. Do you want the best CB to ever play the game or an untested Rookie? There's no question that Revis is a rare talent. He can do everything in any scheme against any receiver any day of the year. To say the Bucs only traded for him because of the talent in this draft class is utterly moronic. He's a once in a generation player that instantly sorts out the worst pass defense in the league.

The star talent isn't so obvious in this years draft, but it is very deep in almost every position. I'm honestly scared of our draft now. I have a list of players I'd be happy with at #9 and #13 but it's not very long. If we draft Tavon Austin or Barkevious Mingo, I'll lose my shit. Trading back would be ideal. As far as trade partners go, 49ers, Vikings and Dolphins could be looking to move up - although I think the Dolphins will be aiming for a top 5 pick first.

The jets need to rebuild, Revis is a one in a decade player but having one good conerback isnt going to do much to help your team if the rest is average at best. They need the cap space free and although the draft is week this year they rebuild this offence with their first three picks. Smart deal and the only real option they had given that they would need to re-sign him next season.

Any other year Revis' value is the same. Do you want the best CB to ever play the game or an untested Rookie? There's no question that Revis is a rare talent. He can do everything in any scheme against any receiver any day of the year. To say the Bucs only traded for him because of the talent in this draft class is utterly moronic. He's a once in a generation player that instantly sorts out the worst pass defense in the league.

The star talent isn't so obvious in this years draft, but it is very deep in almost every position. I'm honestly scared of our draft now. I have a list of players I'd be happy with at #9 and #13 but it's not very long. If we draft Tavon Austin or Barkevious Mingo, I'll lose my shit. Trading back would be ideal. As far as trade partners go, 49ers, Vikings and Dolphins could be looking to move up - although I think the Dolphins will be aiming for a top 5 pick first.

I'm not taking anything away from Revis, he's fantastic. Or at least the one we knew pre-injury was but that's another debate entirely. But of course the Bucs took into consideration who they could have gotten at #13.

Well that's my point. The Jets have really put themselves under great pressure with days to go until the draft to try and get some new heros into the club if not replace Revis entirely.

Adrian Peterson had a tore ACL the year before and almost broke records. Revis and Goldson are excellent acquisitions. The Bucs went 7-9 last year and have a very good run defence, now they can shut down the pass defence as well.

Is that likely? I fucking hope so. Every mock on the net has Austin to the Rams but i'm terrified of him. Any player who rises this much AFTER games are played has serious bust potential. I always wonder if the draft were held in january before everyone had a chance to analyse everyone to death how different it would all look.

Is that likely? I fucking hope so. Every mock on the net has Austin to the Rams but i'm terrified of him. Any player who rises this much AFTER games are played has serious bust potential. I always wonder if the draft were held in january before everyone had a chance to analyse everyone to death how different it would all look.

I completely agree with the overall point of your post - see Dontari Poe, for example - but to be fair, Austin was really productive for WV. The other things with him are that when he declared and teams legally could speak with him they'd have come to see that his size wasn't detrimental to his play. He took part in every practice at WV in his time there. As well as that, when HC start to get involved after the turn of the year they begin to see how they could use a guy like that.

I think all of that combined to lift him up the board and I'd be very excited to get him.

Everywhere I look he is being mocked to us at #9 or the Bills at #8. Far too high for him. I'd rather have Ryan Swope in the 3rd than Tavon Austin in the top 20. Austin can only play in the slot and we already have Jeremy Kerley who is best utilised there. Swope can play on the outside too, has excellent route running, great hands and takes a hit well.

Edited by GingerSaint

Been hearing people talking about the needs the Jets have but they've spent a reasonable amount of recent picks on a lot of these positions of need in the last two years. What do fans (GingerSaint) think of the following players, does their youth make spending picks on these areas less of a priority than say the right side of the O-line or Tight End wheres there pretty much nothing?

Quinton Coples

Stephen Hill

Demario Davis

Josh Bush

Antonio Allen

Kenrick Ellis

Bilal Powell

I really liked Coples and Hill last year, but I'm not too sure about Coples as a 3-4 DE. Hill is raw and I think will come good. Really liked Kenrick Ellis coming out, the guy has all the raw tools to be a good nose tackle, but hes barely played.

Quinton Coples - Led the team in sacks in a limited role. 3-4 DE but shifts inside on 4 man fronts with Mo Wilkerson. He's better attacking from inside IMO. He has a lot of potential.

Stephen Hill - Had a great debut (2 TDs for 89 yards) but was poor after that. He dropped the ball a lot and cost us games against the Texans and Pats. Had niggling injuries throughout the year though so hopefully he can build on that Week 1 performance. Good height and speed combination if he can improve his hands.

Demario Davis - I really like him. Played a limited role last year and was very good. Great speed to play sideline to sideline and a solid tackler. Not sure why he didn't get the start over Bart Scott but he will be starting next year beside David Harris.

Josh Bush - Not enough snaps to say but he's currently number one on depth chart at FS.

Antonio Allen - Same as above. Number one at SS.

Kenrick Ellis - He missed some of the season through injury but has showed potential since being drafted. He was 2nd on the depth chart at NT behind Pouha on 3 man fronts and DeVito/Wilkerson/Coples on 4 man fronts the last couple of years. Should get more looks this season and although we've signed Antonio Garay, I fancy him to start 3 man fronts and rotate with Garay.

Bilal Powell - I was shouting for him to become starter last season because Shonn Greene is utter garbage. He played well as a change of pace back but had niggling injuries that kept him out a few games. Broke off a few 10+ yard runs and can catch the ball out the backfield. Decent in pass protection too. He'll likely battle it out with Mike Goodson in training camp although I expect us to add a bigger back to compliment them.

We still need 2 Safety's as Bush and Allen were 6th and 7th Round picks - ideally one veteran and one draft pick. We need depth at DL and LB (not high priority positions) but expect Ellis, Coples and Davis to have starting places. We need a WR but that is because Santonio Holmes will be cut after this season. I'd like to re-sign Braylon Edward to push Hill too. RB isn't a high priority position anymore but expect we'll add another body.

OLB, TE, S, OG an WR are our biggest needs, the rest is depth. RT is fine with Austin Howard.

Which should I buy guys?

http://www.fansedge.com/Darren-McFadden-Jersey-Away-White-Game-Replica-20-Nike-Oakland-Raiders-Jersey-_-619357336_PD.html

http://www.fansedge.com/Darrelle-Revis-Jersey-Home-Green-Game-Replica-24-Nike-New-York-Jets-Jersey-_-1661197286_PD.html

Both colour schemes are utter classics. Both clubs in need of a bit of a roster overhaul which I like. Revis price is slashed cause he's gone, but one of the great players of the Jets. McFadden excellent on his day.

What would you go for?

Sure about Howard? He gave up double digit sacks IIRC.

Aye, he's fine. Gave up 10 sacks but he's a good run blocker. 3 of those sacks came against the Chargers in Week 16 when we gave up 11 sacks as a team. Freak game with Greg McElroy as QB.