Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was specifically referring to Ad Lib's assertion that GB competes in international competition while Scotland does not. What does the make up of the team matter?

As you are no doubt aware, Jamie Murray represented Scotland in the Singles. Andy did not play.

Which tells you all you need to know about the event. Jamie Murray isn't one of the top 1000 singles players in the world. Maybe not even 2000.

I'm not sure why tennis was brought up by the simpleton above.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Only because they share citizenship. Vice versa is also true.

2. The Commonwealth Games are like the sack race at a P3 end-of-year games. It's not a proper international event, and a desperate and last bastion of the Empire.

1. Was Gavin Hamilton's single test appearance for England more than 4 years after his previous Scotland appearance? If not, you are talking nonsense.

Check the Scotland team in the 1999 World Cup and the England Test Teams in the 1999-2000 tour of South Africa.

2. Agreed about the empire thing, but if by some miracle the Scottish 4 x 100 metre relay team set a new world record, are you suggesting that it wouldn't count?

It's a legitimate international competition

1. Was Gavin Hamilton's single test appearance for England more than 4 years after his previous Scotland appearance? If not, you are talking nonsense.

Check the Scotland team in the 1999 World Cup and the England Test Teams in the 1999-2000 tour of South Africa.

2. Agreed about the empire thing, but if by some miracle the Scottish 4 x 100 metre relay team set a new world record, are you suggesting that it wouldn't count?

It's a legitimate international competition

1) No, but that's (IIRC) down to Scotland lacking Test status.

2) I don't place sporting value on any events hosted by the post colonial games, no.

It's actually the other way around.

Scots are eligible to play for England and Wales Cricket Board, as Scotland are an associate nation, not a test playing nation. Like Ireland. So as logn as you meet nationality requirements you can switch from Scotland or Ireland to England and Wales.

Once you have played for E&W you cant go back to your associate country until 4 years have passed since your last appearance for E&W.

Because in Cricket, England and Wales have their own cricket team, Scotland has its own, and in Tennis the only sense in which you formally represent any national team is at the Olympics or Davis Cup, where there is a British team. This norm permeates throughout the respective sports.

Also anyone who dislikes cricket should be added to the list of people not allowed to vote, alongside those with IQs less than 120.

First mention of tennis today, I believe

Which tells you all you need to know about the event. Jamie Murray isn't one of the top 1000 singles players in the world. Maybe not even 2000.

I'm not sure why tennis was brought up by the simpleton above.

You two are normally so close. :P

First mention of tennis today, I believe

Whilst I can understand your perfectly understandable wish to pretend that the contributions of Road to Eternity don't exist, it was he or she who intriduced tennis to the page.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trident-fleet-may-be-cut-to-two-subs-in-new-lib-dem-plan-8708328.html

Why does England's Con-Dem government fear a "pre-emptive attack" upon England by a nuclear power? Is there something that they are hiding from the people of England apart from The Military Industrial Establishment that they have stocks/shares in?

It's actually the other way around.

Scots are eligible to play for England and Wales Cricket Board, as Scotland are an associate nation, not a test playing nation. Like Ireland. So as logn as you meet nationality requirements you can switch from Scotland or Ireland to England and Wales.

Once you have played for E&W you cant go back to your associate country until 4 years have passed since your last appearance for E&W.

Well done. You've just repeated the point I made above in a slightly different way.

Now, how does this fit in with Ad Lib's original point that E&W and Scotland are separate cricketing nations?

Ad Lib, on 14 Jul 2013 - 21:56, said:

1. Because in Cricket, England and Wales have their own cricket team, Scotland has its own

Oh look, once again we have a Unionist (and his bestest apologist pal) in full deflection mode. Nothing to say about the MoD story today?

Haven't read the article so can't comment. Good news for all if the cost of moving Trident is less prohibitive, though, as it presumably means in terms of timescale it will also be quicker, which is good news as it means any sovereign retainer or leaseback would be shorter, which is best for all involved.

Well done. You've just repeated the point I made above in a slightly different way.

Now, how does this fit in with Ad Lib's original point that E&W and Scotland are separate cricketing nations?

1. Because in Cricket, England and Wales have their own cricket team, Scotland has its own

I don't agree with Ad Lib's point here to be honest. Yes, Scotland has its own cricket side, but Scots can also represent England and Wales CB.

England are the representative side for Great Britain though. The England side is the best 11 cricketers in the British Isles. Scots who play for Scotland do so because they aren't good enough to be selected for England. Likewise the Irish.

I've got no real idea why Andy Murray was brought up. Could just as easily have been Justin Rose.

Whilst I can understand your perfectly understandable wish to pretend that the contributions of Road to Eternity don't exist, it was he or she who intriduced tennis to the page.

To be pedantic, I would point out that RtE mentioned Andy Murray.

Ad Lib was the first to mention the "British" tennis team and make the incorrect assertion that Scotland didn't compete in international competition.

Anyway, are you planning on responding to the MoD story any time soon?

They are separate cricketing nations. They play each other in international competitions. They are ranked in world rankings alongside each other. One day international cricket, especially the World Cup, is real cricket in a way that the Commonwealth Games isn't real athletics, swimming or [insert other sport here].

Eligibility to play for a national team is based on citizenship and the ICC membership tier criteria. Cricket Scotland is not a subsidiary of the EWCB.

To be pedantic, I would point out that RtE mentioned Andy Murray.

Ad Lib was the first to mention the "British" tennis team and make the incorrect assertion that Scotland didn't compete in international competition.

Anyway, are you planning on responding to the MoD story any time soon?

Andy Murray is a tennis player, in case you hadn't noticed. The OP on this subject bemoaned why England didn't play as Great Britain. It's because it's the England and Wales Cricket Board. He also bizarrely suggested Andy Murray had to "share" his glory. I'm not sure who he's suggesting he shared it with. Did Justin Rose share the glory for his major win?

I made no comment on the Trident stuff at all last week. I don't have any knowledge of, or interest in, nuclear weapons. I have no problem with them being in Faslane, and remaining here.

TORIES’ PLEDGE BROKEN

DAVID CAMERON has failed to deliver on his promise of a “bonfire of the quangos”.

Fewer than one in 10 of the taxpayer-funded public bodies have been axed, despite the Prime Minister pledging a cull in 2010 before he came into power.

But researchers found that out of 900 quangos, just 80 have been binned completely with others being merged or reformed. Ten await consideration.

Prof Chris Skelcher from the University of Birmingham said: “The promise to abolish quangos is far more complex than many commentators and politicians recognise.”

They are separate cricketing nations. They play each other in international competitions. They are ranked in world rankings alongside each other. One day international cricket, especially the World Cup, is real cricket in a way that the Commonwealth Games isn't real athletics, swimming or [insert other sport here].

Eligibility to play for a national team is based on citizenship and the ICC membership tier criteria. Cricket Scotland is not a subsidiary of the EWCB.

When did Scotland ever play a full 5 day test series against anyone, never mind England?

Technically, under the current system you could have 22 Scots playing in an England (and Wales) vs Scotland 1 day international.

As HB has already stated, the "E & W" team is effectively the British Isles 1st XI. As such, the OP was entirely correct to question why it is commonly known as "England"

Are we arguing cricket now? Seriously? Who gives a flying fug for that absolute abomination of a sport

I'd rather watch womens curling....at least Scotland are decent at it

The Pro-Union shills and trolls love their cricket and taking the thread off-topic with any and every bit of shoite imaginable at every opportunity. ^_^

As HB has already stated, the "E & W" team is effectively the British Isles 1st XI. As such, the OP was entirely correct to question why it is commonly known as "England"

Well, you could argue that it should be England and Wales Cricket Board, but that's it really.

It shouldn't be the British Isles, because there are Irish and Scottish sides also. Scots are eligible to play for EWCB, but then so are South Africans that meet residence requirements.

Archived