Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd have to be an absolute weirdo or a thicko to be opposed to Scottish political independence.

This is an example of Nationalists mood and I would wager there are loads of Scots keeping their Unionist beliefs to themselves (to some people) for want of not being tutted at,frowned upon or even verbally abused.

There is much covert or open bullying done by Salmond and Co.

Just look at the Unionists who come and go on this thread.

Insulted left right and centre.

I'm so looking forward to Sept 2014 when the Unionist vote wipes the sanctimonious smile off the section of bullies and anti English within the SNP.

I thought Yasmina on Politics Scotland did well pulling up BBC Scotland's assertion that 'project fear' was a term coined by Yes Scotland as opposed to the Sunday Herald 's expose that the term was coined internally by bt.

No further challenge by Anabelle or Andrew so does that mean they accept that this is now accepted as truth?

8)

Being opposed to countries having political independence is not normal.

Being opposed to people who use oil to try and temp Scots to leave the United Kingdom/British family on our small island/s is perfectly justified.

I thought Yasmina on Politics Scotland did well pulling up BBC Scotland's assertion that 'project fear' was a term coined by Yes Scotland as opposed to the Sunday Herald 's expose that the term was coined internally by bt.

No further challenge by Anabelle or Andrew so does that mean they accept that this is now accepted as truth?

8)

I saw it attributed to Better Together the other day in a BBC story, so....maybe.

This is an example of Nationalists mood and I would wager there are loads of Scots keeping their Unionist beliefs to themselves (to some people) for want of not being tutted at,frowned upon or even verbally abused.

There is much covert or open bullying done by Salmond and Co.

Just look at the Unionists who come and go on this thread.

Insulted left right and centre.

I'm so looking forward to Sept 2014 when the Unionist vote wipes the sanctimonious smile off the section of bullies and anti English within the SNP.

You obviously don't work in the public sector. Support of the SNP is frowned upon.

From that link posted the page before; I quite like this quote.

"Having the freedom to actually elect who governs you, as opposed to watching England do it for you, would be nice. "

This is, for me, surely one of the most convincing arguments for independence? In purely political terms, it isn't exactly a representative democracy when the entire population of Scotland can vote for one party at the Westminster elections, yet purely by virtue of having a smaller population we're at the mercy of whoever the south of England vote for?

In fairness, an independent Scotland would be at the mercy of the West as that's where the population is greatest. You will never eliminate a certain area wielding more electoral clout due to its population.

A more persuasive argument would be to highlight the difference in political opinion that's evident between the North and South. It's very cliche to blame the Tories for everything, but it would probably be quite effective in that it would highlight the left/right difference in political opinion north and south of the border. For me, that's probably the best argument for independence - differing view on how the country should be run. It's what will appeal to the broadest group of voters.

Of course, many will be happy with the status quo, but you can't please everyone. Yes Scotland appear (in my view) to pander to the centre-left, and that's probably their best bet to achieve their aims. There are those who want independence anyway, those always against it and those who will vote for it if if they believe it'll deliver what they want. Given the voting behavior of the Scottish electorate, the Yes campaign is definitely targeting the correct demographic IMO.

It's not necessarily right to exclude certain groups from the process, but it would weaken the campaign by trying to please everyone. In Scottish terms, the centre-right has been written off in the targeting of the independence campaign. It's a shame, but they aren't going to win you the referendum, so it makes little sense to try and reach out to them when there are others who could get the job done.

The SNP do need to get away from talk of welfare sharing and all that jazz, though. I know they're trying to reassure some by trying not to rock the boat too much, but they're leaving the door wide open to allegations that they can't even convince themselves in independence. I found it very unimpressive personally, though I won't be voting so they don't have to worry about me voting no because I don't buy their vision.

England won the cricket today in one of the best test matches in decades...

It's a day to rejoice and take pleasure in the joy British sporting success can bring.

Archived