Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Watch it again. Fucking awful miss. He's culpable for at least one glaring miss per game. United are a better team when he's not in it.

This is the correct answer.

What good work did he do? We created one opportunity in the box the entire 90 minutes. He is not a terrible player but that money could be spent elsewhere and he has a detrimental affect on the team.

When.gms is.fit I don't think I plays

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing it was a case of Graham trying really hard to make a real impression on a game and said something along the lines of "You've had two attempts, give me a try instead." Given how well it came off I think it's fair to say that he will not be getting that sort of opportunity again anytime soon. It's a shame Gauld was too tired and had been subbed before all three of those free kicks. He might have had better luck than Graham or Ciftci.

Graham had a few decent free kicks for Rovers last season so he probably fancied his chances. For every decent one there was another that flew miles over though.

Just an observation but I find it utterly bonkers that Flood was allowed to leave because United allegedly wouldn't offer him the same money he was on but are spending about 5k a week on Goodwillie.

If flood was playing for united yesterday you would have been unstoppable.

Agreed Flood is a loss but we do have a few decent midfielders coming through and I reckon McNamara probably felt that Armstrong would make more of an impact than he has done. Goodwillie was a good signing if you ignore the reputed cost of his wage - again we probably expected him to do better. I actually think we will probably be losing him just as he gets up to full speed in January.

Overall I don't think we should be too upset with the start to the season - I'm more than happy with our situation.

You don't need Goodwillie though and he will be off in January. Just seems like a bizarre signing.

When we signed Goodie we only had one striker and it was Brian Graham.

At the start of the season if I'd had the choice between Goodie and Flood it would be Goodie everyday and I think a lot of Dons fans would have gone with that decision too considering how excited they were getting when linked with him.

Just an observation but I find it utterly bonkers that Flood was allowed to leave because United allegedly wouldn't offer him the same money he was on but are spending about 5k a week on Goodwillie.

If flood was playing for united yesterday you would have been unstoppable.

As much as I loved Flood, I'm not sure he would be disciplined enough to play one of the defensive midfield roles we play with. Add to the fact that Houston left us last season with only 2 strikers both of whom were leaving. We needed a striker...

As much as I loved Flood, I'm not sure he would be disciplined enough to play one of the defensive midfield roles we play with. Add to the fact that Houston left us last season with only 2 strikers both of whom were leaving. We needed a striker...

After Goodie goes we are bereft of strikers if Ciftci gets injured, yet we sign Gomis, a midfielder, where we have plenty options. Jordan Moore scored for Dunfermline again yesterday, I wonder if he has what it takes to make the step up?

This could be good news or could be terrible news. I think we should cut our losses.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-united/blackburn-happy-for-goodie-to-stay-at-dundee-united-1.144939

As far as I'm aware, the reason Goodie is playing is because Thompson is subbing his wages!

As for Flood, well, he's ten times the player of Paton, but I wasn't sorry to see him go - his floaty free kicks and corners alone drove me bonkers!!

As far as I'm aware, the reason Goodie is playing is because Thompson is subbing his wages!

As for Flood, well, he's ten times the player of Paton, but I wasn't sorry to see him go - his floaty free kicks and corners alone drove me bonkers!!

Yeah, however I'd rather we looked further forward than January, it's my honest opinion that Goodie has held the club back this season. At 6k a week we could have 3/4 players off that kind of money.

I never even mentioned Flood.

Edit: Read back, the Flood remark wasn't aimed at me .

It's not surprising news at any rate. Given the majority of his performances so far this season Blackburn were hardly going to be clamouring to have him back down there. They'll be hoping we extend the loan till the summer so that we save them a little money by picking up a portion of Goodie's wages. There's also the slim chance that by extending his deal Goodwillie will get more game time and suddenly recapture his form thereby enabling them to use him next year, or at least attract a club who can afford to take him off their hands permanently.

I wouldn't be adverse to having Goodie stay on till summer, at the very least he'd provide better cover for Ciftci than Graham or Oyenuga. It's really up to Thompson now if he wants to take a punt with his own money on Goodwillie being able to turn things around and make himself a real asset to the team. We've sort of been in this situation before with Flood a couple of years back. He had a rotten first half to the 2011/12 season but was much improved in the second half. Thompson and McNamara are going to have to seriously think whether it's worth chucking more money away to see if Goodwillie can emulate that from January onwards.

As things stand, this deal is shaping up to be a big let down and a lot of money wasted by the club. If we extend the deal and Goodwillie continues to disappoint then there's a real danger of tarnishing the memories of the great moments Goodwillie brought the club.

It's not surprising news at any rate. Given the majority of his performances so far this season Blackburn were hardly going to be clamouring to have him back down there. They'll be hoping we extend the loan till the summer so that we save them a little money by picking up a portion of Goodie's wages. There's also the slim chance that by extending his deal Goodwillie will get more game time and suddenly recapture his form thereby enabling them to use him next year, or at least attract a club who can afford to take him off their hands permanently.

I wouldn't be adverse to having Goodie stay on till summer, at the very least he'd provide better cover for Ciftci than Graham or Oyenuga. It's really up to Thompson now if he wants to take a punt with his own money on Goodwillie being able to turn things around and make himself a real asset to the team. We've sort of been in this situation before with Flood a couple of years back. He had a rotten first half to the 2011/12 season but was much improved in the second half. Thompson and McNamara are going to have to seriously think whether it's worth chucking more money away to see if Goodwillie can emulate that from January onwards.

As things stand, this deal is shaping up to be a big let down and a lot of money wasted by the club. If we extend the deal and Goodwillie continues to disappoint then there's a real danger of tarnishing the memories of the great moments Goodwillie brought the club.

Well Said Kev!

On another happier note.

On This Day 1966

BARCELONA 1 DUNDEE UNITED 2

When United qualified for Europe for the first time since the competitions began in 1955, they were lucky enough to gain a bye in the first round of the Fairs Cup. However, their debut tie in the 2nd round was to be Spanish giants Barcelona - the current holders - and United were given no chance....

However, just 13 minutes into the 1st Leg at the Nou Camp, Billy Hainey wrote his name into the record books by becoming the first Dundee United player to score in a European tie, finishing off a great move with a low shot.

Barcelona pushed for a quick equaliser but just couldn't break down the well organised United defence. 58 minutes in, Billy Hainey was fouled in the box as United broke away, and Norwegian winger Finn Seemann slotted home the spot kick. However, the referee ordered a re-take, but Seemann was the coolest man in the stadium as he put the ball beyond Barcelona keeper Sadurni and make it 2-0 to United.

A desperate Barcelona managed to pull one back with 8 minutes left, but United held out for a famous victory. Surely they couldn't do it again in the home leg three weeks later?

Id be baffled if we decided to keep Goodie on after new year. The deal in principle looked decent however it turned into something of a disaster tbh. We have shelled out a fortune and the return from him has been pish at best. Move him on in january and look out for a decent replacement (prob a loan) in the time we have before he goes. If he doesnt go in January, his legendary status which has taken a bit of a hit since his return, will turn sour and nobody wants that

Archived