Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

Anybody know what is happening with Ainsworth? Pretty sure he is out of contract with Rotherham (?). Would love to see him at United but doubt he'd join anyone other than Motherwell if he stays up here.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know what is happening with Ainsworth? Pretty sure he is out of contract with Rotherham (?). Would love to see him at United but doubt he'd join anyone other than Motherwell if he stays up here.

I'm not so sure - If Utd offer more money, then they would have a chance based on what I've heard. My first thought on hearing that Faddy was gone was that McCall was freeing money to sweeten the deal for Ainsworth actually.

Not at all surprised about Faddy, but still pretty gutted. We were waiting for him to "come good" all season and it didn't happen, a few false dawns like Partick away. Can't afford any passengers when we have such a small squad and I'm sure he'd have been on a decent wage. Hibs bound apparently..

On Ainsworth, was interesting to note that the club have sold sponsorship of his shirts for next season - a bit strange but hopefully a good sign!

My first thought on hearing that Faddy was gone was that McCall was freeing money to sweeten the deal for Ainsworth actually.

My thoughts too. Of the players that could leave (Faddy, Ainsworth, Hutchunson, Reid) McFadden is probably last on the list of priorities to sign up again. As much as I hate to see him go, it's probably the correct decision, for us and him.

Fingers crossed he can sort himself out with a new club soon, but hopefully not a Premiership one

Not at all surprised about Faddy, but still pretty gutted. We were waiting for him to "come good" all season and it didn't happen, a few false dawns like Partick away. Can't afford any passengers when we have such a small squad and I'm sure he'd have been on a decent wage. Hibs bound apparently..

On Ainsworth, was interesting to note that the club have sold sponsorship of his shirts for next season - a bit strange but hopefully a good sign!

Source? ;)

My impression has always been that Faddy being back at the club was never something that McCall particularly wanted (he had to sideline Higginbotham a couple of weeks after signing him on loan to accommodate Faddy) - it was a situation he had to put up with it as the supporters and directors wanted it due to his status with us. Interested to see who the saved budget gets spent on..

It's strange, I half expected it and can see where the club are coming from but I'm still gutted. He's struggled with injuries this season but he showed some good form from Firhill onward until he limped off again against Ross County. I would have been happy to see him stay on a reduced deal but it seems like both parties are fairly happy to call it a day.

Where does it leave us? In the club statement it says..

“We have five different options in that position and need to utilise the budget in other areas of the squad.

Five different options? I mean Sutton and Anier are both good options fair enough. McHugh? Moore? Erwin? Hmmm..

Be interesting where else McCall thinks we need strengthening. Keeper obviously but after that?

Anyway, words can't describe the actual man love I have for Faddy. Quite simply the best player I've seen in Claret and Amber in my 15 years of going to Fir Park, thanks for everything Faddy.

Correct decision to let Faddy go, as gutting as it is. As Dave was saying, we've been waiting for that moment to come where he got back to his best - it just didn't happen.

Sutton & Anier should be our front two, so i'm glad we won't see Faddy wasting away on the bench or wide on the right.

All the best to him at Hibs in the Championship. You'll always be a Motherwell legend.

Anyway, words can't describe the actual man love I have for Faddy. Quite simply the best player I've seen in Claret and Amber in my 15 years of going to Fir Park, thanks for everything Faddy.

This.

He will always be a hero.

Five different options? I mean Sutton and Anier are both good options fair enough. McHugh? Moore? Erwin? Hmmm..

Be interesting where else McCall thinks we need strengthening. Keeper obviously but after that?

Would expect McHugh & Erwin to be the back-up pair. Maybe a loan deal in considering Moore is out until the New Year?

Priorities would have to be a Goalkeeper & a centre-half (assuming Hutchinson is away). Potentially a wide man if Ainsworth doesn't sign on again.

I wouldn't expect too much activity this year, which makes a change. Can't see more than 3 coming in.

It's strange, I half expected it and can see where the club are coming from but I'm still gutted. He's struggled with injuries this season but he showed some good form from Firhill onward until he limped off again against Ross County. I would have been happy to see him stay on a reduced deal but it seems like both parties are fairly happy to call it a day.

I'd prob have Boyd, Lambert, Cooper, O'Donnell and possibly Coyne above him, but I've been a fan since 90/91 season. Also I wasn't into football as much in the late 90s early 00's (spent my weekends clubbing @_@)and didn't see too much of him first time round. Gutted at this news tho, I don't even care how well he plays, someone said it earlier that he lifts the whole atmosphere just cos he's Faddy, that's true.

Taking away the sentiment and all the non-football stuff that surrounds Faddy, I've always thought Ross McCormack was a better player....to my mind he's the best player i've seen in Claret & Amber behind Cooper, but I still love Faddy. Sad to see him go, but it would be even worse if he ended up just getting further and further off the pace and see him deteriorate.

Hopefully wherever he ends up will be a new wee challenge, and he can find a spark once again.

Would expect McHugh & Erwin to be the back-up pair. Maybe a loan deal in considering Moore is out until the New Year?

Priorities would have to be a Goalkeeper & a centre-half (assuming Hutchinson is away). Potentially a wide man if Ainsworth doesn't sign on again.

I wouldn't expect too much activity this year, which makes a change. Can't see more than 3 coming in.

I'd like to see Erwin get a chance. McCall clearly rated him highly as I'm sure he said he was going to promote him to the first team last season and was on the bench a few times before he burst his knee. Then after he went out and impressed during his loan stint at Arbroath this season McCall was going to bring him into the 1st team again, only for him to burst his other knee! From what I've seen he's big, strong but got good feet and a bit of skill about him, got high hopes for him. Also got high hopes for Dom Thomas who I hope to see get a chance next season.

McHugh though? Why we gave him a 2 year deal last summer is beyond me. Another year to try and establish himself, fair enough he probably deserved that. However it's became clear this season there's a reason why he's always been back up, he's not quite good enough for this level. Without being harsh if we were getting rid of 'deadwood' Bob would be one of the first out the door.

Also do we need a new centre-half? If Hutch leaves but Reid and Hammell sign on then we'll have Hammell at left back, McManus at centre back &

Cummins

Kerr

Murray(I think)

Reid

Ramsden

All signed up for next season fighting it out for only 2 positions? Surely if we bring in another centre half then some of them are going to have to be offloaded as well?

Oh aye, if a Championship team is going to offer to take McHugh off our hands, I'd gladly let him go. No harm to the guy, but he's been in or around the squad for 6 or 7 years now without establishing a first team place. A 2 year deal was strange, i'd agree.

I'm not too sure on Cummins. He didn't do a great deal at Dundee from what I believe. Maybe Fraser Kerr could come good, he's sure as f**k not a right-back or a right-midfielder. Is Ramsden fit again? Is he getting a new deal? Wouldn't say no to using the budget elsewhere if a fit Simon Ramsden players centre-half with Kerr as back-up.

Motherwell have already sold Ainsworth shirt sponsorship for next season. Take from that what you will.

As for McFadden, never thought I would be so indifferent to him leaving. As someone said in this thread or maybe the aberdeen one, when he comes on the fans get a lift cause it's Faddy and as the season went on he seemed to get better and more game time before injuries prevented him from playing. Reading between the lines of the statement on the official site it seems to be that we offered him less money that what he was previously on and rightly so imo. Would rather the money go on the out of contract players we have just now and a new GK and CB to replace Hutch if he's away. Wouldn't suprise me to see Faddy end up at Hibs, now that Butcher and Dempster are there. Anyway good luck to him, he will always be a hero to us.

Archived