Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

Kind of wary about the fact that we're signing another striker to potentially play ahead of McHugh.

Not a criticism of McHugh, because I actually think he's a good player, and I'm always fairly impressed, but just wondering why we bothered giving him a deal, if we're still looking to bring in other strikers. IDK, just seems kind of daft to go into the season with four/five players that can play as a centre-forward.

Erwin and Moore are both untested, so I think that they'll be used sparingly like McHugh last season. Then you have Sutton who will be guaranteed first choice, with McHugh and Anier to fight it out to be his partner. At least that's how I see it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess so, on both counts (I was counting McFadden being able to play there as well), I'm kind of reliant on other people to see how we're setting up and playing just now, so I am a bit in the dark. Just that I'd rather be spending wages on a right-back, or a right winger, rather than another striker, but that's balancing the budget, I guess.

Anier's signing on loan for six months according to the Norwegians on twitter. I assume he's just here to provide competition and cover which we probably do need, I'd like Bob McHugh to get more of a chance this season but as suggested above his all round game is questionable. A good option to have in the squad certainly but if Sutton's injured for any period of time I wouldn't exactly be over confident in his ability to lead the line.

Anyway if Henri turns out to be pish he'll be punted in January, if he turns out to be any good then Viking will probably want him back anyway. Certainly looked alright in his two pre season games so far and should hopefully add something to the squad if/when he signs.

A bit worried we are finished getting players as we haven't replaced the players who have left. The right side of the park is a massive problem, Ramsden will be first choice RB but we have no right wing and ZFA as the only true left wing. The lack of pace in the side is also a considerable issue. Lawson, Vigurs, Lasley, Sutton, McHugh and McFadden aren't the quickest players and they could be the 6 starters in midfield and attack and none are suited to providing width either.

A bit worried we are finished getting players as we haven't replaced the players who have left. The right side of the park is a massive problem, Ramsden will be first choice RB but we have no right wing and ZFA as the only true left wing. The lack of pace in the side is also a considerable issue. Lawson, Vigurs, Lasley, Sutton, McHugh and McFadden aren't the quickest players and they could be the 6 starters in midfield and attack and none are suited to providing width either.

I think, as much as anything, it's just an indication that McCall is intending on changing the way that we play this season. Gone is the speed of the last few years, now we'll be holding onto the ball more and moving it around the park more, or working off knockdowns from Sutton.

No idea whether I go with it or not, but that seems the way, we'll have to wait and see. Alternatively, we'll be much the same as we were last year, but with ZFA left and someone stuck on the right to come inside, same as we did last year, but the opposite way around from Humphrey on the right and Murphy/Higginbotham/Law/McFadden left.

People are complaining that we don't have any back up wingers with pace? We would be as well keeping Omar Daley if we wanted somebody just to fill a gap.

Not at all, certainly not in my case, as long as big Gunnar is dece then I'm absolutely delighted with our business. We've done quite well in keeping folk fit over the past few years, so I can't see why that'd stop now. This season, like last season, is a great opportunity for us to bleed some young players and focus on doing well in the cups. Frankly, I couldn't care less about the league, unless we fly out the traps and Celtic stumble for months.

Lets win a cup, lets get our latest youth players a big move.

People are complaining that we don't have any back up wingers with pace? We would be as well keeping Omar Daley if we wanted somebody just to fill a gap.

Well, no. People are concerned that we haven't got any wingers with pace, let alone back up.

Apart from ZFA of course, a left back by trade with only 8 starts for Motherwell almost all of which came at left back.

McCall has done some good business but if ZFA gets injured we could end up very one dimensional. Having listened to McCall though I expect us to have a winger in, probably on loan before the window shuts next month.

Not at all, certainly not in my case, as long as big Gunnar is dece then I'm absolutely delighted with our business. We've done quite well in keeping folk fit over the past few years, so I can't see why that'd stop now. This season, like last season, is a great opportunity for us to bleed some young players and focus on doing well in the cups. Frankly, I couldn't care less about the league, unless we fly out the traps and Celtic stumble for months.

Lets win a cup, lets get our latest youth players a big move.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. Really excited to seeing how we do next season. The past few years we've had a young team that was good in the league but awful in the cups. Can't be bothered checking but most of our team must have played in a cup final by now?

That is a stupid comparison. it is like saying we shouldn't have a back up striker because they could be Casagolda. If we had a good right winger they would be a useful asset to change the game.

Last season Ojamaa and Murphy were comfortable playing on either wing when we needed to change the game. Law was capable of playing wide too. It isn't back up we are talking about it is arguably for our strongest line up in a standard 4-4-2 we would have no one to play on the right hand side if McFadden and Sutton were the strikers. This was apparent against Newcastle with Carswell on the right in the first half and then Kerr in a 5-3-2 in the second.

Some of this uncertainty comes from the fact that since Brown installed Jennings and Lasley as the centre midfield there has been no competition for the starting berths in the middle of the park. Spoiled by options.

Hopefully this all sorts itself out quickly but similar to last season we will be tinkering with our formation and starting line up as we head into the European campaign.

That's what I meant Casagolda and Jim Mcleans's Ghost. We do need a winger but we shouldn't get one in for the sake of it. McCall is doing the right thing in taking his time to find the best we can get instead of rushing to sign any-old guy with a pair of boots in time for the euro deadline.

Also I would point out Henri Anier has NOT signed a loan with us yet, confirmed by MFC twitter feed just two or three hours ago, backed up by fact he is not in squad for Forest match tonight. Good news is Faddy is playing from start so he must be fit after last weekend.

Lasley, Lawson, Vigurs, McFadden, McHugh and Sutton all starting tonight which is what McCall thinks is probably his strongest XI.

Not making it to this one but the formation and effectiveness of this line up is up in the air. Can we overcome our pace and width issue to seriously compete with a reasonably good championship (english version) side

On the evidence of last night's game we are badly lacking pace, width and firepower up front. Central midfield however looks good.

John Sutton was ineffective and we have to relearn the lesson that he needs to get the ball at chest height end of. He also needs another striker to play off his shoulder. Last night he and Bob McHugh were far too far apart to be effective. The latter scored a decent goal but will not do I'm afraid.

In summary the squad is still short of a right winger and mobile hard working striker.

I have to say I wasnt overly impressed with Anier in Morecambe, he seemed to me to be in the headless chicken mould. Whether that was more to do with the service he got I am not sure.

Didnt McCall say he still wasnt sure after that match.

Where did you see that?

He played over 40 games for Charlton last year and was being linked with several Premiership teams.

Not to mention he was playing for Charlton yesterday against ICT.

Can't see it.

post-41122-1375014862475_thumb.jpg

Archived