Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^^^^^^^^ harm vs risk Different concepts.

Wait, what?

If you are saying it's a "risk" legalising marijuana then, be specific, what is this risk and how, exactly, does making it illegal mitigate this risk?

No better or worse than smoking and drinking, I suppose. The only reason I would want it legal is because if I wanted some, I would only want to get it from a reputable source, not from some guy on a street corner.

It's significantly better than smoking tobacco or drinking - in every way.

There is a show on BBC2 right now about Denvers experiment with legalising marijuana. Stay tuned, and I'm sure I'll end up comprehensively destroying the opponents.

"They're risking our kids lives".

Good uin, looking forward to that.

"Common sense would dictate that legalising marijuana will send out a wrong message which will undoubtedly increase consumption".

That was Ayrmad level desperation from the presenter.

I'm an ex weed head, I used to smoke it in my early teens and early twenty's every single day. It coincided with a point in my life when I was unemployed. Whilst I enjoyed it immensely it definitely dampened my enthusiasm for pursuing a career etc, basically turned me into a lazy b*****d. I moved abroad and got my act together while still having the odd puff. I grew out of it like I did with E's, Ching etc. I do miss the good stoned feeling however I don't miss the analysing every little detail over and over in your head. It is good to be stoned but not all the time and once you have kids you can't.

Providing easier access to alcohol, tobacco and gambling increases consumption of these products.

Weed would follow the same trend if it were legalised.

Do you actually have any evidence for your first sentence?

As for your second, so what if it did? Do you think the current position of forcing consumers into interacting with criminals and consuming unsafe products is superior? Do you agree that they deserve to be imprisoned for the mere crime of voluntarily consuming a drug that is significantly safer than "legal highs" like alcohol and tobacco?

Boy was smoking weed last night at a party and not one person gave a rats arse. He's been doing it for thirty years and the only effect is he's incredibly laid back and lazy but still has a job and his family. I know an alcoholic who's been drinking for thirty years and he can barely walk, forced all his family away and can't hold a job because he's unable to stand straight or speak coherent sentences without slurring.

It's quite interesting to compare the two

Edited by RandomGuy.

Boy was smoking weed last night at a party and not one person gave a rats arse. He's been doing it for thirty years and the only effect is he's incredibly laid back and lazy but still has a job and his family. I know an alcoholic who's been drinking for thirty years and he can barely walk, forced all his family away and can't hold a job because he's unable to stand straight or speak coherent sentences without slurring.

But is it a fair comparison? The alcoholic has been abusing his chosen substance in an extreme fashion whereas it sounds as if the other guy hasn't hit the cannabis quite as hard.

Who would win in a fight?

But is it a fair comparison? The alcoholic has been abusing his chosen substance in an extreme fashion whereas it sounds as if the other guy hasn't hit the cannabis quite as hard.

Maybe he has, he hasn't made that specific.

What isn't beyond doubt is that alcohol is a significantly more dangerous substance than marijuana. All this programme could muster is smoking a lot of marijuana, every day, might eventually led to an 8 point drop in IQ. Compare this to alcohol where drinking a lot, every day, will led to death fairly quickly. Drinking caffeine excessively, every day, will led to heart problems. It's a nothing argument, and cannot possibly justify prohibition.

There is no justification for banning any drug. Its up to individuals to decide what shite they want to put in their bodies, there is absolutely no point in listening to pious arseholes ritually condemning various drugs while they tan in to alcohol themselves without seemingly realising that its a drug in itself. If someone is intent on drinking themselves t death then let them do it. Offer them help if they wish, ignore themif they don't. The same should go for any drug available.

I'm sure if alcohol and tobacco had been discovered in modern times, they would also have been proscribed. But these substances have been widely consumed publically for centuries whereas dope smoking only became known to the general population in relatively recent times.

As for cannabis not causing physical harm, surely if you piped pure marijuana every day for 30 years it woud seriously affect your heart and lungs?

I'm sure if alcohol and tobacco had been discovered in modern times, they would also have been proscribed. But these substances have been widely consumed publically for centuries whereas dope smoking only became known to the general population in relatively recent times.

As for cannabis not causing physical harm, surely if you piped pure marijuana every day for 30 years it woud seriously affect your heart and lungs?

And what about opiates? They have been around for centuries here. Surely, using your time method then these should all be legalised because theyve been around for ages?

• 2 months later...

Who would win in a fight?

The alcoholic. The smoker wouldn't want a fight, man.

Got some 'lemon haze' just now which is pretty smooth. Disappointed with the lack of lemon flavour, but I was planning on making rollies with flavoured tobacco or skins, so might get some lemon stuff.

it should be kept illegal - it would be a step in the wrong direct making it legal. People who want it can get their hands on it without a fuss anyway

That's a reason for making it legal though. Making it illegal clearly isn't working so why not make it legal and control it?

That's a reason for making it legal though. Making it illegal clearly isn't working so why not make it legal and control it?

It will give off wrong signals to the younger and lesser educated amongst us with regards to the short term and long term risks