Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK - you have almost answered my question, but not quite. Numbers can be bent for both sides of many arguments so lets take a hypothetical example.

using simple numbers for ease:

say 1 in 10 heroin users are harmed under current laws.

Like you, I am all increasing the number of users as long as fatalities decrease. However, if the number of users increase by a factor of 3 (you stated even if number of users were to increase dramatically you would support legislation), then we would also need the number of heroin users harmed ratio to decrease by a factor of three.

Does regulating a substance such as heroin reduce the harm factor from 1 in 10, to 1 in 30. I.E. does the reduction in harm match up if there was to be a significant number of users?

Really? Well, the side who are in favour of the war on drugs don't seem to be bending anything. Statistics are totally against their point of view, and they know it.

Um, what are you talking about? Studies have demonstrated that legalising heroin reduces harm and use. What is your point again?

When you say there is well documented evidence to support a fall in harm, is it the actual number of people harmed or just a decrease in the ratio of people being harmed? If it was the latter, then any marked increase in use would invariably result in more people being harmed.

That is where I have exposed hypocrasy. If indeed it is the ratio that has reduced, not the actualy numebr of fatalities/people harmed.

Which is it? Or do you not know?

The actual number of people being harmed, i.e. legalisation significantly reduces the harm to the end user. It's not the latter, all users benefit from legalisation.

You haven't exposed anything, and are still spelling hypocrisy wrong. It's not the ratio, and I really can't explain it in any more depth, all heroin users benefit from legalisation. The drug is much safer to consume, and fatalities fall to zero.

I don't exactly know what you are talking about, or what case you are arguing. Can you articulate it a bit more clearly? With less hypothetical?

Popped in to vote though disappointed that no option for "more severe".

A couple of friends "deal", 2 have served 8 plus years, have had occasional spliff, make it virtually a capital offense.

Pop back out of thread until it appears next year.

Don't want to take it too off topic but about spiking, it can happen for loads of reasons. Right at the start of Uni I was at a flat party, I'd only just started drinking so wasn't even remotely drunk, when one of the girls poured some of her drink into mine. Stupidly, I thought 'Ah well, I know her, it'll be fine and drank it'. By this point I'd had maybe about the equivalent of a couple of vodka cokes or something. Within about 30 mins/an hour I'd say (not too sure exactly tbh) I was unable to stand and spewing my guys out into the sink. And the next day I was sick roughly every 45 mins - an hour, from when I woke up til about 1am the next night. Probably the worst day of my entire life and I was on the verge of getting someone to drive me to the hospital if I was still being sick the next day. I don't think I was spiked, I think I've just stupidly drank someone's drink that had maybe been spiked, or had some weird shit in it and paid the price. A lot more careful now.

So, I was going to multi-quote and correct Supras' shite that he was spouting earlier but:

a) It would take all night.

b) I can't be arsed.

As the self-appointed expert Supras, what are the estimated figures in comparison to present levels for crystal meth use in the event of it being legalised?

Edited by Dee Man

Instead of getting so off topic does anyone have any real reasons for WEED to remain illegal?

You're right.

I'd be interested in seeing a crystal meth thread with a poll as to whether it should be legalised as I've been genuinely surprised at there being more than one poster who said it should be legalised.

I'd start the thread with poll myself but I'm on my phone.

Fucking hell - so, so much fail in every one of your maniacal posts.

I'll need to come back to annihilate you when I have more time.

So, I was going to multi-quote and correct Supras' shite that he was spouting earlier but:

a) It would take all night.

b) I can't be arsed.

As the self-appointed expert Supras, what are the estimated figures in comparison to present levels for crystal meth use in the event of it being legalised?

Fucking hell, that is easily the most embarrassing climb down in P&B history. I won without even turning up.

Um, why would there be figures on that? :1eye

I knew it would be easy, I didn't expect it would be this easy.

Popped in to vote though disappointed that no option for "more severe".

A couple of friends "deal", 2 have served 8 plus years, have had occasional spliff, make it virtually a capital offense.

Pop back out of thread until it appears next year.

Worst contribution on the thread. I would reply, but I highly doubt you'd ever understand it.

You're right.

I'd be interested in seeing a crystal meth thread with a poll as to whether it should be legalised as I've been genuinely surprised at there being more than one poster who said it should be legalised.

I'd start the thread with poll myself but I'm on my phone.

Every single person of sound body and mind thinks it should be legalised. And there isn't a single viable reason to not legalise it.

Um, why would there be figures on that? :1eye

So you're admitting then that you have absolutely no fucking idea what the consequences would be if crystal meth was legalised tomorrow.

Brilliant.

Many of the previous posters are correct.

Supras is almost certain to be wrong on a football topic, so i can understand posters assuming this would transfer to General Nonsense, but he speaks absolute sense here, and it's difficult to take issue with any of his points.

Every single person of sound body and mind thinks it should be legalised.

Yet more sweeping generalisations and talking on behalf of others. I see a character flaw pattern forming here.

So you're admitting then that you have absolutely no fucking idea what the consequences would be if crystal meth was legalised tomorrow.

Brilliant.

As far as I know, there has never been a study on it. But, frankly, it wouldn't matter if usage did increase. As I've already discussed in depth.

Many of the previous posters are correct.

Supras is almost certain to be wrong on a football topic, so i can understand posters assuming this would transfer to General Nonsense, but he speaks absolute sense here, and it's difficult to take issue with any of his points.

I'm almost certainly right on football topics too, look at Balotelli and Ibrahimovic. It's you who laughably claimed that Redknapp and Pardew were top managers, this has really bitten you on the arse.

Yet more sweeping generalisations and talking on behalf of others. I see a character flaw pattern forming here.

Do you have a single reason to oppose legalisation yet?

As far as I know, there has never been a study on it.

Do you have a single reason to oppose legalisation yet?

So you're willing to blindly jump in and legalise a substance with no evidence whatsoever about the increase in usage rate or possible consequences on communities?

Remember we are talking specifically about crystal meth here.

So you're willing to blindly jump in and legalise a substance with no evidence whatsoever about the increase in usage rate or possible consequences on communities?

Remember we are talking specifically about crystal meth here.

Absolutely, yes.

The current system is a colossal failure, controlled legalisation (what I have proposed all along) makes significant positive differences to drug users - as well as the rest of society.

It absolutely should be implemented, as soon as possible too.

Now, do you have a reason why drugs should be illegal? Who does it help?

Absolutely, yes.

The current system is a colossal failure, controlled legalisation (what I have proposed all along) makes significant positive differences to drug users - as well as the rest of society.

It absolutely should be implemented, as soon as possible too.

Now, do you have a reason why drugs should be illegal? Who does it help?

You're not even being subtle in attempting to twist my words now - you're doing it in direct quotes. I said specifically crystal meth and you are saying 'drugs' in general.

What positive difference to a meth head would "controlled legalisation" bring?

If crystal meth was legalised tomorrow and the user rates went up even just 1%, do you think this would have a positive or a negative impact on communities?

You're not even being subtle in attempting to twist my words now - you're doing it in direct quotes. I said specifically crystal meth and you are saying 'drugs' in general.

What positive difference to a meth head would "controlled legalisation" bring?

If crystal meth was legalised tomorrow and the user rates went up even just 1%, do you think this would have a positive or a negative impact on communities?

I have no idea why you are focusing on crystal meth, or what mythical power this one drug has to sever the very positive aspects of legalisation, or negate the very negative aspects of prohibition.

What positive difference will it have? The substance will be given in optimal doses in both quantity and potency, and the user will be monitored by medical professionals whilst they consume the drug. That'd make a significant difference long before we get onto destroying organised crime.

It's a stupid hypothetical, but if the drug was consumed in safe circumstances then yes it absolutely would have a positive impact. Drug legalisation would have an enormously positive effect on communities. Not that crystal meth is anything approaching a serious issue in the UK, making this whole discussion pretty bizarre.

The question always relates back, who does making this product illegal benefit? And the answer isn't the users, it isn't the community, it certainly isn't law enforcement, it's drug dealers who benefit. And that's it.

Frankly, they are the only people with a legitimate argument against drug legalisation. You certainly don't have one.

I have no idea why you are focusing on crystal meth, or what mythical power this one drug has to sever the very positive aspects of legalisation, or negate the very negative aspects of prohibition.

What positive difference will it have? The substance will be given in optimal doses in both quantity and potency, and the user will be monitored by medical professionals whilst they consume the drug. That'd make a significant difference long before we get onto destroying organised crime.

It's a stupid hypothetical, but if the drug was consumed in safe circumstances then yes it absolutely would have a positive impact. Drug legalisation would have an enormously positive effect on communities. Not that crystal meth is anything approaching a serious issue in the UK, making this whole discussion pretty bizarre.

The reason I'm focussing on crystal meth is because I joined this debate when you said crystal meth should be legalised. Not particularly hard to work out.

The above statements have confirmed my suspicions that you have a thin grasp of reality which I suspected since your post a few months back regarding telling a poster to expect a knock on the door from the police after he admitted online to smoking a joint :lol:

The only bizarre thing about this thread have been the amount of folk who have backed up your points on this without first engaging their brains and properly thinking it through for themselves.

Legalise crystal meth - unfuckingbelievable.

I can personally guarantee that it was not copious amounts of alcohol which led to me being taken to hospitalised(spelling?) It was at the beginning of a wee night out in the Dundee union on a skint night.

My kidneys were playing up something terrible due to the medication I take (lithium orotate) and ecstasy being in my system since as you all know it makes your waterworks f**k up. I was literally as dry as ghandis flip flop. Doctors said I was lucky I didn't fall into the trap of drinking a shit tonne of water or I would have been in a sticky situation.

I'm far from a heavy drinker and I don't get myself in states with alcohol due to the medication I'm on.

Hope that clears up stuff. Wouldn't lie about that particular occasion in my life, especially just to try and prove a point against legalisation of drugs which I'm in favour for.

Carry on ladies.

P. S. Edinburgh is beautiful.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app