The East Fife Thread

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's being banded about on our thread that we're after James Penrice, who I believe had a rather impressive loan spell with you lot last season. Aside from his set piece deliveries (which I am reliably informed are "Beckham-esque") is he capable of doing a solid job in the Championship?

Penners has a very good chance of making it but isn't ready for our first team yet. He's got Callum Booth ahead of him who is the embodiment of consistency; very rarely anything below a 7/10 every week since he joined although tailed off towards the end of last season ever so slightly. We've also now got Blair Spittal on board who could, at a push, play full-back so we're covered in his position.

Fantastic delivery, very effective in an attacking sense. Defensive side of his game needs developed. A season in the Championship would be exactly what's required for his development and Dumbarton would be as good a place as any.

One thing on Penrice is that he improved massively with every game. Thought he looked poor and weak physically vs Livi in our cup game, and after that he went from strength to strength in every department. If not at the start of the season certainly by the end he would be a good signing for Dumbarton IMO.

If there is 12 players signed just now I wouldn't imagine the squad will go past 18 so that leaves space for 6 additions which 1 will have to be a keeper 

plus am I right in thinking trialists can't play in bet Fred cup ? 

Mark Lamont very much had a mixed season with fitness issues and fluctuating form but he has shown potential as his set piece delivery is excellent and the fact he can use both feet is a massive bonus. Out on the wing his deficiencies through the physical side of the game were clear as I think I saw him win about one header all season, he isn't the most committed tackler and sometimes when receiving ball at feet and he knew the full back was tight in behind him he looked panicked stricken that he may take a kick on the ankles. I wonder if he would be better in the role Scott Robinson played just behind the striker last season as with him being able to play with both feet he can spread the play either side and he could also be getting shots away from 25 yards and opposition defenders couldn't show him onto a weaker side and it would make things more difficult for the opposition goalkeeper. He is clearly a technically gifted player who lacks the physical aspect to his game and a change of position may benefit him and the team.

24 minutes ago, Mefil81 said:

Mark Lamont very much had a mixed season with fitness issues and fluctuating form but he has shown potential as his set piece delivery is excellent and the fact he can use both feet is a massive bonus. Out on the wing his deficiencies through the physical side of the game were clear as I think I saw him win about one header all season, he isn't the most committed tackler and sometimes when receiving ball at feet and he knew the full back was tight in behind him he looked panicked stricken that he may take a kick on the ankles. I wonder if he would be better in the role Scott Robinson played just behind the striker last season as with him being able to play with both feet he can spread the play either side and he could also be getting shots away from 25 yards and opposition defenders couldn't show him onto a weaker side and it would make things more difficult for the opposition goalkeeper. He is clearly a technically gifted player who lacks the physical aspect to his game and a change of position may benefit him and the team.

Only partially agree with this  post.Lamont,if he does sign,should be played as an out and out winger.He was tried in the no 10 - Robinson role -and had not a clue how to play it.

If the manager decided  to play the same formation as last year , Kyle Wilkie  or Paul Willis would be better in the no 10 role.Totally agree that Mark needs to work on his defensive duties.

Look at us, up to 14 signed players now!!!

Squad - Season 2017-18

01 - Ryan Goodfellow
02 - ???
03 - Patrick Slattery
04 - Christopher Kane
05 - Jonathan Page
06 - ???
07 - Mark Lamont
08 - ???
09 - Christopher Duggan
10 - Kevin Smith
11 - Kyle Wilkie
12 - ???
13 - ???
14 - ???
15 - ???
16 - ???
17 - Ross Mutch
18 - ???
19 - ???
20 - Benjamin Reilly
21 - ???
22 - ???

00 - Paul Willis, Kieran Millar, Kyle Wilson, Mark Docherty

3 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

14 mate!!!emoji6.png

Just realised my mistake...oops!!

14 quite good number but I'm sure there more to come lacking a few areas i.e. another goalie, Centre back, another striker and another creative midfielder to replace Robinson/Curran would take another left sided player defensively but that's me being greedy....

T-bone and I wonder if Gordon's whereabouts will be confirmed over the pre-season?

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer