The East Fife Thread

Left back mate but never featured after that incident I think but up until then he did very well think the Dumbarton fans really rated him so hopefully a good signing 

Edited by Hooper

Happy with that signing, anyone know what position he played for Dumbarton last season?

Centre mid usually, though he had a run of games at centre-back too where he was impressive. He doesn't have the pace to be a LB in the Championship any more, though he'd probably cope well enough in L1.

17 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Left back mate but never featured after that incident I think but up until then he did very well think the Dumbarton fans really rated him so hopefully a good signing 

Pretty sure he was suspended for a couple of games then put straight back into the team.

It was written off as a 'coming together', shamefully.

Pretty sure he was suspended for a couple of games then put straight back into the team.
It was written off as a 'coming together', shamefully.

He very rarely featured after the incident and admitted in our local paper that's what cost him his Sons career.

It wasn't "written off". Both players were disciplined by the club and Docherty wasn't offered a new contract because of it. The manager is hardly going to go running to the press calling Docherty a c**t and publicly lambasting him. He dealt with the whole thing very well and it was clear to all Dumbarton supporters that the manager was simply trying to protect his players with the press stuff.

When it looked like Sparky would end up at Stark's Park, I wrote the following

On 08/06/2017 at 11:01, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He's far more effective in central midfield or at centre-back (despite the fact he's only about 5"8). Sparky was excellent for us for all but the last three months or so of his DFC career. He took more Man of the Match awards than anyone else, and genuinely endeared himself to fans. He's a fighter (unfortunately literally at times...) who plays with the passion of a fan, and genuinely just loves football. You'll love his attitude on the park, and his a great guy off it too. He's always up for a chat, and likes to get a bit of banter going with the fans during the game.

I remember one of our fans constantly berating him to go short for a goal-kick in monsoon conditions, and him turning to the fan and saying: "Why don't you go f*cking short then?" That shut the chap up. He loves winding up opposition fans too, particularly at Ibrox where he just about caused a riot by saying something to them :lol: I remember some Rovers fans being seething during the 0-0 game in January 2016 too, when he clearly said something to them.

After the Carswell incident (which was totally out of order, as he well knows) he lost his place in the team. Then when he got back in he was lacking fitness, sharpness and seemed a bit too desperate to make an impression. That was exemplified against Ayr United where he took out one of our own players in the buildup to their winner - this time it was an accident.

He doesn't look like he should be good (if that makes sense) but has a lot more ability in his left-foot than you would think. His crossing and set pieces are normally very decent, and he's more than capable on the ball.

I'd imagine he'd be exactly the sort of guy you need in League 1, and I'd imagine he'd do a decent job wherever you play him.

Much of it still applies here. There's a reason that he's still held in very high regard by plenty of Sons and Alloa fans.

I also wrote this about him in an end of season review

Up until March I doubt you would’ve been able to find a Dumbarton fan with a bad word to say about Sparky. Strong performances at left-back during the 2015/16 season, combined with a battling attitude, strong Twitter game and ability to score directly from corners made him a firm fans’ favourite at the Rock.

Things changed on that miserable March afternoon however, when he found himself in an on pitch battle with teammate Stuart Carswell. Carswell was forced off with a bleeding nose, Docherty was suspended for two matches and duly lost his place in the team. 

Since then he has been limited to substitute appearances and, certainly on a personal level, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him move on in the summer. If that is to happen then I hope he’s remembered more for scoring two winners against Dundee United this season, than for anything else. We’d certainly be losing a big character and a lot of heart.

And this

It’s been a strange old season for Sparky. He scored the winner, twice, in home games against Dundee United and picked up more Man of the Match awards than any other player - yet few were surprised when he was released at the end of the season. An on pitch bust-up with Stuart Carswell saw him drop out of the side in March, and fail to regain a starting slot.

Jason Kerr. Was with you last season I believe..

Was he on loan from St Johnstone or was he your player?

Any good? What position(s) does he play?

I've heard a whisper that we might be after him.

On loan from st Johnstone, he plays centre half and was excellent for us would be a great signing for you.. unfortunately

ETA: Don't know why he would want to join a league 1 team again thought he would be progressing to the championship this season.

Jason Kerr. Was with you last season I believe..

Was he on loan from St Johnstone or was he your player?

Any good? What position(s) does he play?

I've heard a whisper that we might be after him.

You might be after him and we know that Barry Smith rates him, but I would be very surprised if he signed for you and also very disappointed (for him) if he did!!!

Not a dig but his progression route should be looking at a Championship side to be playing for in the new season, we had him for two years and we only got him the second year because we gained promotion and we moved up a league, if we had went up again last season I would have been confident in keeping him again, but tbh, he should be chapping on the door of the Saints first team squad next term!!!

Only way I imagine he would go there is knows smith plus he would be working in a full time environment elsewhere which his parent club may see as a progression but personally I feel he should try championship club on loan surprised livi having tried to get him 

I'd be surprised if Kerr went to the Rovers, I'm sure he will be keen to break into the Saints squad this coming season. I'm surprised at the money Raith seem to have, financial disaster if the don't return straight back to Championship

We've just been beaten to the signing of Docherty by you guys. Hardly the sign of a club with money to burn.