The East Fife Thread

13 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I can't help but think the only solution that'll be available here is for Bohemians to come across to here and play us midweek, with the entirety of their expenses covered by the SPFL. That solution works only if, as Wikipedia suggests, Bohs are full time. I've no idea if they are, if they're part time then its the same problem for us going over their even with expenses paid with abdy having jobs to go to before/after any potential game. What a farce this has become.

Bohs aren't full time, We're famously the only part-time team in the 10 team Premier Division. One of our top players (Ward) delivers the beer the EF fans were drinking on Saturday to the bars during the day.

The club got him the job as part of an incentive to sign for us!

If you google 'Keith Ward Dalymount'

You'll find a story about his van getting stuck in the laneway leading up to the stadium. That's what we're dealing with here.

Edited by BohsMan

5 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

Bohs aren't full time, We're famously the only part-time team in the 10 team Premier Division. One of our top players (Ward) delivers the beer the EF fans were drinking on Saturday to the bars during the day.

The club got him the job as part of an incentive to sign for us!

If you google 'Keith Ward Dalymount'

You'll find a story about his van getting stuck in the laneway leading up to the stadium. That's what we're dealing with here.

Well I'm guessing it surely has to be the weekend of when the Ross County game was going to be, either the Friday or Saturday, with whatever teams doing the travelling getting their expenses (somehow) completely covered. Asking us to go back over again would be pretty shameful from the SPFL especially if they've said they wouldnt, but I'm sure the club would do it if the expenses were paid. Far more likely is that Bohemians are asked to come over here and we play at Dumbarton or Livingston or the like with your expenses covered, because as much as we'll have to agree to disagree with the pitch stuff Bohs similarly shouldn't have to fork out the cash when they were drawn at home. 

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

I can't help but think the only solution that'll be available here is for Bohemians to come across to here and play us midweek, with the entirety of their expenses covered by the SPFL. That solution works only if, as Wikipedia suggests, Bohs are full time. I've no idea if they are, if they're part time then its the same problem for us going over their even with expenses paid with abdy having jobs to go to before/after any potential game. What a farce this has become.

ETA - or of course move the County game and play it at the weekend Friday or indeed Saturday.

That would be the cherry on the cake for us. When they moved the semi to the Friday some of us booked hotel rooms for the Friday AND Saturday.  This would be our 3rd attempt at attending an Irn-Bru cup game. You just couldn't make this up! I take it nobody has heard the result of the meeting / phone calls today?

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The referee was from Wales.

Yes i know that. But in Ireland if they tend to play on pitches that are less than perfect (which they must if they have not had a game called off in twenty years ) then they may have been taken by surprise at the Welsh referee inspecting the pitch to a more stringent standard.

35 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

One additional aside; I hope our board will be asking for our half of the ticket money at least from Bohs, because I'm sure I wasn't the only one who's 15 bucks remains in their coffers.

Every fan who bought a ticket was entitled to refund, refunds were offered on the day (which is not always the case in these situations) 

If you didn't bother collecting your refund, do you honestly expect your club to do it for you?

9 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

So you want teams kicked out of a tournament due to frost? :lol: 

If it's possible for the tie to be played at Bayview, I'm happy with that. If it's not (considering this tournament actually needs to finish at some point) then although it's a weird position to be in, the SPFL have to be practical about it and asking Bohs to forfeit is the only practical solution. I think the zero effort put towards ensuring the game wasn't called off makes that fair as well.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Well I'm guessing it surely has to be the weekend of when the Ross County game was going to be, either the Friday or Saturday, with whatever teams doing the travelling getting their expenses (somehow) completely covered. Asking us to go back over again would be pretty shameful from the SPFL especially if they've said they wouldnt, but I'm sure the club would do it if the expenses were paid. Far more likely is that Bohemians are asked to come over here and we play at Dumbarton or Livingston or the like with your expenses covered, because as much as we'll have to agree to disagree with the pitch stuff Bohs similarly shouldn't have to fork out the cash when they were drawn at home. 

Bohemians playing a home game against East Fife in Dumbarton (264 miles from Dublin, and 88 miles from Bayview) really would be peak Challenge Cup.

With Bohs being part time I'm really not sure how this can work midweek though. Especially at such short notice.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

If it's possible for the tie to be played at Bayview, I'm happy with that. If it's not (considering this tournament actually needs to finish at some point) then although it's a weird position to be in, the SPFL have to be practical about it and asking Bohs to forfeit is the only practical solution. I think the zero effort put towards ensuring the game wasn't called off makes that fair as well.

How come nobody is talking about an East Fife 'forefeit' if you are all so unhappy about the situation?

We quite fancy a Semi Final day out live on TV in Ireland and the UK.

2 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

How come nobody is talking about an East Fife 'forefeit' if you are all so unhappy about the situation?

Because, as the home side, Bohs should have taken some responsibility for trying to get the game on. They didn't. That's my only complaint.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

Incidentally, what do you think should actually happen?

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Because, the home side, Bohs should have taken some responsibility for trying to get the game on. They didn't. That's my only complaint.

I have seen zero evidence they (we) didn't, If you have some, please share and I'm not talking about conspiracy theories that we had the match called off at last minute to make as much money selling beer as we could and hope a few visitors dont collect their refund.

Edited by BohsMan

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Incidentally, what do you think should actually happen?

A replay in Dalymount with EF expenses covered. If the semi final or final has to be delayed as  result, sobeit.

It's been a lesson learned for everyone, the organisers, Irish teams as guests and all clubs affected. Take it on the chin and dont make the same mistakes next year.

Guest bernardblack
But that doesn’t add up. The distance travelled was so far that everyone that was going would have set off long before any inspection could take place. 1.30 seems perfectly rationale to try and give the game every chance.
A lot of poor takes re the actual postponement of the games. Games are off all the time, it happens. Yes it can be disappointing but you can’t do anything about it.
The criticism should all be vented towards the tournament organisers. It’s been a complete shambles and I really don’t know how they overcome this issue as EF have a Scottish cup game next week.
Anyone suggestion the Irish/non-British team should be kicked from the competition is an idiot. 

Does that make sense though? If Aberdeen are playing Stranraer away in the cup there wouldn’t be a 130 pitch inspection on the day

15 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

I have seen zero evidence they (we) didn't, If you have some, please share and I'm not talking about conspiracy theories that we had the match called off at last minute to make as much money selling beer as we could and hope a few visitors dont collect their refund.

I can't disprove a negative. I haven't heard of anything Bohs did so I'm assuming nothing was done. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to admit that.

11 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

A replay in Dalymount with EF expenses covered. If the semi final or final has to be delayed as  result, sobeit.

It's been a lesson learned for everyone, the organisers, Irish teams as guests and all clubs affected. Take it on the chin and dont make the same mistakes next year.

If that's what's decided, then I'd rather we forfeited it to be honest. Not in a throwing the toys out the pram way but just, it's not worth going over to Dublin again from the teams or the fans pov.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

If that's what's decided, then I'd rather we forfeited it to be honest. Not in a throwing the toys out the pram way but just, it's not worth going over to Dublin again from the teams or the fans pov.

That's one part of this whole debate that baffles me. East Fife fans have been talking about Dublin as if its on the far side of the world.

If we had lost to Sutton United in the previous round, logistically it would have been even worse for you, I'm sure there are plenty of places you play in Scotland you would wish was just an 45 minute flight away.