The East Fife Thread

12 minutes ago, sammytroot said:

It was indeed.

Watching the game was former EF and Montrose centre forward Steve Kerrigan whose son was playing for Kirrie

As far as the game was concerned ,EF should have scored 7 or 8.Some   woeful misses and excellent saves from the impressive Kirrie keeper

EF ok offensively and in midfield.Jury out on left defence and second keeper.

Just came along as a neutral as I was taking photos earlier in Forfar. Blogger Denholm looks a great signing though I was wondering if he had a bet on 4-1 with all the sitters he missed 😂

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he's maybe our youngest ever club captain, but thats just guessing, can't imagine any other 22yo players who've managed it with us.

Our record fee is £1.75m, so you'd imagine theres a fair chance we could breach that figure with him. Unbelievable player.

Whatever you do keep hold of your best player, I absolutely loved Jason Kerr at East fife and so did Gary Naysmith!! 

i thought Danny Denholm was the best player on view,always looking for the ball,always willing to take on players.He could easily have scored 3 or 4 but he needs to improve on his finishing. Lewis Hunter continues to improve, nothing flashy - wins the ball,passes,and moves on.

Offensively we are OK. Wallace,Dowds, and Duggan will score goals-ably assisted by Denholm,Dunsmore,Smith , and Hunter.In midfield yesterday I thought that Agnew was too often caught in possession .

Defensively I thought that Watson at centre half first half , and Dunlop centre half second half were the best defenders. There were no problems with Higgins but Murdoch could certainly improve his distribution. Not much to choose between Slattery and Waugh - if he signs. AS far as goalkeeper is concerned, Jordan Hart played hisfirst game yesterday.Based on what I saw, I must admit that I prefer Brett Long.

I thought that Kirrie played well yesterday and were impressive opponents.

Putting the football to 1 side, the main talking point was the absolutely delicious steak pies, topped with a slice of black pudding, served with a coffee, and sold as a Meal Deal for £2.50 .

Kirrie were a decent side.The hospitality in the clubs Social Club was first class.All in all - a good day out.

1 hour ago, ewan_fife said:

Impressive hopefully they can add to their team with six signed up and see their development progress towards the first team in the near future but its a start. Hopefully the website keeps tabs and put up a squad profile get some sponsorship in Maybe another idea and some updates to the under 20s team either on twitter or website on their games but the future is bright. 

i thought Danny Denholm was the best player on view,always looking for the ball,always willing to take on players.He could easily have scored 3 or 4 but he needs to improve on his finishing. Lewis Hunter continues to improve, nothing flashy - wins the ball,passes,and moves on.
Offensively we are OK. Wallace,Dowds, and Duggan will score goals-ably assisted by Denholm,Dunsmore,Smith , and Hunter.In midfield yesterday I thought that Agnew was too often caught in possession .
Defensively I thought that Watson at centre half first half , and Dunlop centre half second half were the best defenders. There were no problems with Higgins but Murdoch could certainly improve his distribution. Not much to choose between Slattery and Waugh - if he signs. AS far as goalkeeper is concerned, Jordan Hart played hisfirst game yesterday.Based on what I saw, I must admit that I prefer Brett Long.
I thought that Kirrie played well yesterday and were impressive opponents.
Putting the football to 1 side, the main talking point was the absolutely delicious steak pies, topped with a slice of black pudding, served with a coffee, and sold as a Meal Deal for £2.50 .
Kirrie were a decent side.The hospitality in the clubs Social Club was first class.All in all - a good day out.

Really like lewis hunter, think he will be vital this year

19 minutes ago, effc loyal said:

Really like lewis hunter, think he will be vital this year

Yeah the boy Hunter has came into preseason and scored a few one v Albion the other yesterday hopefully he kicks on. Interesting news on the left footer slash left back suitation good to see us looking at few. 

A few whispers that EF trying to get Daniel Church , a left back from Celtic on loan. 18 year old going on19.

Agreed- but still need another CH ( thought Reekie looked the part- but noticed he wasn’t there yesterday )- just be like us too really improve in attack and get weaker at the back( ie not have a defender as good as Meggatt!)

Agreed- but still need another CH ( thought Reekie looked the part- but noticed he wasn’t there yesterday )- just be like us too really improve in attack and get weaker at the back( ie not have a defender as good as Meggatt!)

Meggatt will be a miss, a defender who would just attack Any ball, but could also beat his man. I think murdoch Infront of the defence is smart as he puts himself about

On 29/06/2019 at 20:33, grant1903 said:

Kevin Waugh ex hibs 

Has now joined Berwick rangers that rules him out I guess maybe dodge a bullet and holding out for a better left footer for the position let's hope. 

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer
Grammer

I'm looking forward to our first competitive game against Cowdenbeath on Sat, we seem to have a more balanced squad with more attacking options but i still think we could do with more defensive cover and Meggatt will be a great loss but fingers crossed we will be ok.

What's peoples expectations this season in the league? Can we challenge for a play off spot? I can't see past Falkirk winning the league, they have made some excellent signings for this level. Hopefully we can get off to a decent start and improve on 7th place. Mon the Fife

In all honesty i would be happy with a season similar to last. The cups providing some good away days, and staying in contention for a play-off place for as long as possible (hopefully keeping hold of it this year) 

I do think we have a better squad in comparison to last year, however I think the league as a whole will be a lot tougher, so we probably needed the extra injection of quality. Personally I just cant see Falkirk running away with the league this year, but do admit they have made some great signings (i will look like a mug when they are 15 clear at christmas). However I have never really associated Mckinnon with free scoring attacking football, more so i always thought he built just solid teams that compete. I think a lot of teams will play compact against Falkirk this year and will likely surrender possession to sit in and hit on the break. Arbroath had Bobby Linn playing well to pick his way through those kind of teams last year, I think it will more likely come down to how creative their midfield is over the boy Sammon they've just signed

I'm just glad the new football season is back on the horizon. Hopefully we give Cowdenbeath a beating on Saturday and start the season off the right way

We should do better than last season as I feel that the squad is stronger especially in attacking areas. I still feel that we have a Meggatt sized hole in the defence that we need to fill as I worry the same frailties from last season may appear again without a commanding centre back.

I see William Hill have us at 25/1 to win the league, that’s rank outside. I don’t think that we will win the league, but we shouldn’t be anywhere near the relegation zone either, saying that we do start the season on -12 since we already give Dumbarton a head start.

Falkirk should win the league by the players they have signed up, but it doesn’t always work out like that, see Raith and Dunfermline from previous campaigns.

As someone's said above, thank christ the fitba is back this weekend. 

As for our chances, our midfield and attack is stronger than last year and I think, overall, we have a better squad. Losing Meggatt is a blow, and I really hope that given a pre-season Higgins/Dunlop can work better than last time. We have enough in attack to get a play-off spot, I think it's just whether our back line can do it. I've predicted us to finish 5th on the prediction thread because of that very reason, with a shaky end to last season and no recognised left back. 

The other thing I'd say is that I think this league is going to be incredibly competitive this year (and I think that's why the board let Darren pay a fee for Wallace), so I wouldn't be surprised if most folks predictions are way off. 

Anyway, fingers crossed for a win on Saturday, I should be able to make it to a fair few more games this season given the addition of more Glesga based teams. Let's hope we can get over our Dumbarton hoodoo as well, as I fair enjoy that away day.