The Universe

I didn't realise that the most habitable place outside our solar system for humans would be in the clouds of Venus. Just done some interesting reading on it.

Surface of Venus is out of the question naturally but apparently 30 miles up from the surface in the clouds is an almost perfect living conditions for humans to the point where we wouldn't need space suits and could walk around comfortably (the gravity, atmosphere and temperature is almost the same as Earth). in other words, big floating cities in the clouds of Venus would be perfectly habitable. Given that its a good bit closer than any other planet, I'm assuming the only reasons we aren't doing this is that there are no long term natural resources?

Someone brainer than me on here will have the answers I'm sure.....

I didn't realise that the most habitable place outside our solar system for humans would be in the clouds of Venus. Just done some interesting reading on it.

Surface of Venus is out of the question naturally but apparently 30 miles up from the surface in the clouds is an almost perfect living conditions for humans to the point where we wouldn't need space suits and could walk around comfortably (the gravity, atmosphere and temperature is almost the same as Earth). in other words, big floating cities in the clouds of Venus would be perfectly habitable. Given that its a good bit closer than any other planet, I'm assuming the only reasons we aren't doing this is that there are no long term natural resources?

Someone brainer than me on here will have the answers I'm sure.....

I'd imagine they'll be waiting for someone to come up with design for a floating city in the clouds. Like what colour would it be for starters.

Best for me was the no commentary feed from the onboard "Rocket Camera". You can tell when you're in space because the noise just disappears. Breaking the speed of sound lifting around 300 tonnes straight up after about a minute was gobsmacking too.

Edited by welshbairn

So assuming everything went well - when are we likely to send folk to Mars? Are we talking 5-10 years? 20-30 years? etc

They're talking about 2030 but they've got a lot of problems to solve before doing it, cosmic radiation killing the crew for one. If you've any ideas send them here*, could be some money in it. I don't see them sending people into deep space for a long time, intelligent robots will become more efficient and they're a lot easier to look after in hostile environments. There won't be any scientific advantage in sending people, and it's an awful lot more expensive and technically challenging. Who wants to live on Mars anyway, it's a dump, makes Livingstone look full of character. I won't be volunteering until they build generational ships, where they can put you to sleep and wake up by an earthlike planet on the other side of the galaxy.

*https://www.innocentive.com/ar/challenge/9933637

Edited by welshbairn

Best for me was the no commentary feed from the onboard "Rocket Camera". You can tell when you're in space because the noise just disappears. Breaking the speed of sound lifting around 300 tonnes straight up after about a minute was gobsmacking too.

Any videos for this as I missed it?