The Universe

8 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Has utterly ruined the joys of mates arguing in the pub over football/politics/history/quiz shows.

I well remember leaving the bar and thinking "I'm gonna look that up and show that James Hunt just how wrong/stupid he is". Now it's just a quick Google and it's me that's wrong.

Google killed off the pub argument in a few years years.

Be interesting when the technology can look at say a football game on BBC from 50 years ago and then pan round the crowd and pick you out.

Standing next to your deceased relatives.

Just now, Glenconner said:

Google killed off the pub argument in a few years years.

Be interesting when the technology can look at say a football game on BBC from 50 years ago and then pan round the crowd and pick you out.

Standing next to your deceased relatives.

My relatives are already mostly deceased, and I wouldn't stand beside the caaants in a pub, never mind a football match.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I think Star Trek was made up, m9.

You b*****d! Just in case you're wrong, in Voyager they tried to get home from the other side of the Galaxy, 70 thousand light years. At Warp factor just under 10, after which weird stuff happens, they thought it would take 70 years. So 1000 times the speed of light. I assume Warp factor one is 100 times the speed of light but I'm not an expert, honest.

I doubt we could ever achieve the speed needed to get to any sort of habitable planet. I doubt we'll ever achieve the speed needed to get people to most of the planets in the solar system.

Even if we did, how would a human survive such speeds?

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I doubt we could ever achieve the speed needed to get to any sort of habitable planet. I doubt we'll ever achieve the speed needed to get people to most of the planets in the solar system.

Even if we did, how would a human survive such speeds?

1g acceleration, infinite power source and a souped up Ford Cortina.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Not to mention differences in gravity and at a complete mercy to potentially new viruses etc.

Also, it might not revolve on its axis every 24 hours and go round the sun in 365 1/4 days, or have a moon that affects the tides or even have oceans in the first place.

Without the 23 1/2 degree tilt, it will not have the seasons we have.

So I think there is a strong likelihood it would be different - although I could be wrong.

46 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

A lot of the issues that have been mentioned  were discussed on the BBC program I posted about.

Good as it was, I don't remember them saying much about creating a ship capable of carrying, say, ten thousand people*, self sufficient in energy or capable of harvesting it, and the same with materials like food, oxygen and water etc. After a generation or two they would have to see the ship as a natural home and Earth as an alien world for them to survive psychologically. The other option would be hibernation techniques not yet invented, and AI computers to do the searching.

*I doubt we could establish a civilisation on another planet without that kind of number, millions of lightyears from home probably,, without it turning into a Pitcairn Island type haven for beastliness.

PS. Until we can do something like this I'd let robots do the exploring. A manned moon base would be doable and fun though. Mars is daft and pointless imo.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You b*****d! Just in case you're wrong, in Voyager they tried to get home from the other side of the Galaxy, 70 thousand light years. At Warp factor just under 10, after which weird stuff happens, they thought it would take 70 years. So 1000 times the speed of light. I assume Warp factor one is 100 times the speed of light but I'm not an expert, honest.

TBF when Kes realised she was getting replaced by Seven of Nine she went mental and chucked Voyager about a bit knocking a fair chunk of the total.

Below is about the most idiotic science related article I've seen. The comments describe why. Here's the possible motivation. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/04/elon-musk-trolling-us-conservatives-green-tech

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16385026/elon-musk-spacex-rocket-transportation-point-to-point

P.S. Here's a bit from a 2010 report he refers to, talking about the difficulties pilots might experience. Pilots?

2.4 Human Factors
Since NextGen NAS functions are targeted at increasing airspace throughput while maintaining safety,
implementing NextGen will require pilots to learn about more instruments. A complete change in roles
will evolve as more automated/automatic functions cause vehicle automation to become a more active
partner with the pilot in controlling the vehicle. In particular, the pilot will have to deal with activities
ranging from direct control of the vehicle to oversight and situational awareness to planning. The much
larger array of instruments and situations may require the pilot to quickly shift to a different activity using
different instruments. A significant change will be the use of instruments to replace vision in a more
direct fashion, so “flying on instruments” will be a different, more intense experience than pilots
experience today. In addition, cockpit moving map displays indicating the location of all other nearby
surface or airborne traffic will require pilot attention.
 In this environment, the pilot may be subject to confusion and cognitive overload. With a suborbital
vehicle, which also must operate in normal airspace, this array of shifting requirements could be more
difficult than that previously encountered. This issue will require careful study to determine human limits
that can be expected and to ensure those limits will not be exceeded.
Space operations to be addressed include weightlessness, acceleration management, course correction,
diversion, potential space traffic control communications, and re-entry are known issues for a point-topoint
spacecraft. Integrating these functions with normal ATC and newer NextGen procedures will require a review of pilot human factors in dealing simultaneously with these issues.
Training and qualification will be a key issue because crew will have to demonstrate competence to
operate in both the NAS and suborbital environments. Since commercial PTP operations will involve
many flights, the industry will require a large number of trained crew members. Initially training
individuals efficiently and undergoing qualifying procedures may require significant industry effort.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/media/point_to_point.pdf

Edited by welshbairn