The Universe

On 29/06/2017 at 00:03, Tamdunk said:

If there was a heaven and God and shit, I'd spend about 40% of my time hanging around Dawkins & Gervais watching smug religious types abusing them endlessly. The rest would be watching Michael Caine wish for an end to existence as everyone did their best impression of him.

The Trip to Mars is Steve coogans latest venture.

Edited by Tony Ferrino

On 9/12/2017 at 20:04, Ziggy said:

There's been a couple of good documentaries about space travel on BBC2 recently. Last week's was called the '21st Century Race for Space' and last night's was 'The Search for a New Earth'.

I watched the latter and it was very interesting and enjoyable.

However, I doubt humanity will ever be able to colonise another planet, as we simply can't get to one that would support us (i.e. have liquid water, breathable air, not be too hot or cold).

However, I doubt humanity will ever be able to colonise another planet, as we simply can't get to one that would support us (i.e. have liquid water, breathable air, not be too hot or cold).

Not to mention differences in gravity and at a complete mercy to potentially new viruses etc.

On 15/09/2017 at 09:28, DA Baracus said:

Certainly couldn't do it just now but what about 500.1000 + years in the future if we could find a way to travel quickly through space their must be some planets out there that would be able to support human life there are billions of them. Even a person born a couple hundred years ago which is a nothing in the timeline of the universe wouldn't believe what has been achieved now. 

Believe :)

That's assuming we don't blow each other to kingdom come by then of course:angry:

We'll need generational spaceships even travelling near lightspeed to explore the galaxy. Even in  Star Trek they had to travel at up to 1000 times the speed of light to get about. Compared to the scale of distances between bodies in the galaxy lightspeed is pretty slow.

24 minutes ago, keptie said:

Even a person born a couple hundred years ago which is a nothing in the timeline of the universe wouldn't believe what has been achieved now. 

Try anybody around from 3/4/5 decades back, which is probably half the membership of Pie & Bovril.

A phone that is the size of a postcard in your pocket which will give info on any subject you can think of, in colour.

Aye right, dream on.

Some of us are still getting over the pubs being open on a Sunday.

Try anybody around from 3/4/5 decades back, which is probably half the membership of Pie & Bovril.
A phone that is the size of a postcard in your pocket which will give info on any subject you can think of, in colour.
Aye right, dream on.

^ still throws spears at the sun

2 hours ago, keptie said:

Certainly couldn't do it just now but what about 500.1000 + years in the future if we could find a way to travel quickly through space their must be some planets out there that would be able to support human life there are billions of them. Even a person born a couple hundred years ago which is a nothing in the timeline of the universe wouldn't believe what has been achieved now. 

Believe :)

That's assuming we don't blow each other to kingdom come by then of course:angry:

Our arrogance won't see us as a species through the next 100 years.

What stupid c**t made us think the earth was "created" for our bunch of monkeys.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Aye right, dream on.

Has utterly ruined the joys of mates arguing in the pub over football/politics/history/quiz shows.

I well remember leaving the bar and thinking "I'm gonna look that up and show that James Hunt just how wrong/stupid he is". Now it's just a quick Google and it's me that's wrong.